• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Love Your Airbrush!

Did you know that coffee makes enamel paint gump up on the brush? True.

To stay a little on topic, my Paache H is an external mix, the needle and the orfice cone are all that comes in contact with paint, though everything is chrome plated- I keep it clean, well mostly clean- but can I put a little grease on those threads with out messing up the paint? Anyone tried this let me know.

On top of all that, I get done, and pull my hair out of my face and lay a blob of CA that was on one finger across my forehead and into my hair!

Don't worry. A few more years and you'll get over that too. :rotf

Cheers, Christian B)

Did you know that coffee makes enamel paint gump up on the brush? True.

To stay a little on topic, my Paache H is an external mix, the needle and the orfice cone are all that comes in contact with paint, though everything is chrome plated- I keep it clean, well mostly clean- but can I put a little grease on those threads with out messing up the paint? Anyone tried this let me know.

Believe it or not I use the squeeze tube of Carmex on my threads and to lube my needle on my Badger 105. Non toxic and doesnt react with the acrylics I use either

Bumping this again, good info in Laura's original post way back in 2010.

h4b79c5a.jpg

This came out of the needle tube!

h008e390.jpg

Look at the snot I pulled out the barrel, from the opposite side of where paint is supposed to be. I have no idea what that is but yuk... :sick:

The Patriot / Krome / Sotar brushes have a teflon tube gasket that is located just in front of the air/paint lever. To unscrew it without damage you need a 3mm wide flat blade screwdriver that "just" fits the slot. It also helps to soak it in solvents for your paint for a while before trying to remove it as it could be bonded in place by "snot".

Here is a thread I did on the Badger Krome quite a while back and it applies to most of the newer double action brushes they make. It has the info that you will need there.

Badger Krome disassembly

I have found that it is quite important to adjust that gasket when reassembling so that there is a little drag on the needle. The difference between too loose and too tight is just a fraction of a turn. I usually put the needle blunt end in from the front and slide it as I adjust the tension/position of that seal. If it isn't just right you will get a load of paint snot leak through. As it is the paint will slowly seep around the threads and through with use.

That white seal is Teflon. I don't know of anything that will touch it or damage it outside of mechanical damage. You might need to snug the seal up
quote.gif
slightly
quote.gif

As Teflon has minimal resilience as opposed to a rubber o-ring it has to drag on the needle a bit in order to seal. The RegDab might lube it slightly but I have found it can cause Verdigris, or green corrosion on the brass parts. That is what happened with my Tube Shank in the body. The green crud locked it in place.

These are some good tips!

Whatever happened to Laura? I saw that she was a regular when the forum first started.

I hope Bob (Dad) tries contacting her. I started inserting music video links because of her... a nice touch not seen in many places.

Regards,

Back