• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Love Your Airbrush!

I know I was Stupid (Note the capital S). Let us just say I learned a very valuable lessen that day. Mark your Bottles and double check. I had to break down my AB and let the parts lay in Valejo AB cleaner for half an day just to be able to extract the needle. One second of Stupidity can lead to hours of work.

I've gotten my Mason Jars mixed up from time to time Dave, those clear liquids can get confusing and you don't wnat to go sniffin' some of them.

Here's something that I've done for a couple of years, that works as a charm with all my airbrushes.
Buy some old fashion silicone free hard car wax, and start waxing the airbrushes. The wax will protect the chrome, lubricate the threads and make any paint come off a lot easier. As long as it is silicone free, it will not interfere with any paint that I have tried, and it keeps the airbrushes feeling like new.
I love all my airbrushes, and agree that a good start in airbrushing is to let go of the fear, and start enjoying its company.
Disassembling and cleaning isn't so bad when you have properly understood the airbrush, and keeping it in good shape will not only prolong its working life, but also make its maintenance a lot easier.

Bumping this for those who fail to clean their airbrush after painting Russian Green and who show up at their buddy's house, shoeless, wanting them to unfreeze the needle.

Not calling any names....

Bumping this for those who fail to clean their airbrush after painting Russian Green and who show up at their buddy's house, shoeless, wanting them to unfreeze the needle.

How about Acrylic Aluminum? I just blew silver snot allover me and my Intruder- at least the intruder was masked. :vmad

Yeah, "I am" that bonehead! Nothing to say except what I did was a totally stupid, bonehead move. I guess I deserve it, but Gee Bob, thanks so much for bringing it up

How about Acrylic Aluminum? I just blew silver snot allover me and my Intruder- at least the intruder was masked. :vmad

hey Kryptos, I am sorry to hear that - I had something similar happen to me once when i was playing around with that 'chrome' rattle-can spray they sell at Loewe's (They need to remember that silver ain't chrome)

What is being referred to here is that I setup to paint....only to find that I had not properly cleaned the airbrush last time it was used like 2-3 months ago. Were it not for Bob, it would have been SERIOUSLY screwed. I was as you can imagine totally embarrassed, and still am.

And yes, I was barefoot. I need to do some work in my yard (I am always working, and some days do not see the sun until very late afternoon), but the grass at MP's is very nice.

lol- I would help a guy who displays his rifle remove superglue from his AB! Glad you got that fixed, I hate all flat greens- although I have some Rustoleum auto primer that is the BEST stuff to decant and spray with the brush, but getting that stuff out of the AB -Paache H- is crazy- its almost like its replicating....although I have learned that Alclad II can be allowed to dry in the brush and will work with no ill effects! Bobs gonna kill me for that one.

On mine, I made a quick, lazy mix of that aluminum in the cup- and the brush would spray, then stop up. Re cleaned and it happened again- then something I missed blew out and formed something that looked like dust on the kit, but it was in a small area and the rest of the kit was masked. So no problems there, but when I went to clean? Then it poured all over me.

Maybe we can change this to abuse your airbrush?

Bringing up cleaning- and I know this has been brought up before. I'm a plumber and finding a tool to open the needle's shaft and the end of the little 'adjustor' as i call it, I just pulled out one of my torch tip reaming sets, you can get these for a few bucks at a welding supply house- or maybe lowe's.

Boy, you guys talk about a bad day yesterday! I live in like 1100 Sqft, so there is no dedicated place for models, so I spend like 30 minutes dragging out all the stuff to paint, and I have the issue with the airbrush, so I put it all back up. I go out to weed-eat, and get chased by an in-ground yellow jackets nest. I come back in and take a shower, and my son used all the hot water, so it went to a cold shower about 3o seconds in, just after I am lathered up. I get out and have to go Bob's and beg bare-foot for help with something that I should have never allowed to get in that condition. I come home and decide to work on some of the armaments for the A-37 and the Kfir, only to discover that I have lost the bag containing the landing gear and the armaments that were assembled for the A-37! i have a complete unopened one, now it looks like i will have one unassembled, less landing gear, and boy do I HATE it when that happens! On top of all that, I get done, and pull my hair out of my face and lay a blob of CA that was on one finger across my forehead and into my hair! I am in my late 40's and hair is more important now than ever! After I get all that cleaned up it is about 9Pm and I just gave up, and crawled into bed, feeeling totally defeated.

Then I got to work, logged onto the site, and saw this.......................................

We all have our problems.

Living in the Ole South, I find it necessary to label my bottles carefully. Always keep your super glue separate from your nasal spray and your airbrush cleaner far away from your Shine.

Yes, it will clean your airbrush, but I don't know what the long term affects on chrome are.

(Be sure to extinguish all cigarettes beforehand.)

Yep Greg, been lots of mistaken clear liquid in the ol' Mason Jar accidents around these here parts.

Back