• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Logistics, Base & Buildings, Updated Feb. 13, 2020

Logistics, Base & Buildings. Updated March 1, 2019

Hey Laurence,

That is good inspiration! BTW, are you ever going to finish that aqueduct diorama??? :)

Bob

Yes Sir, very slowly moving I'm afraid ...those "statues" are gone, they looked very bad, the pillars will go too, have found something much better to replace them with, and the ends on each side are done (almost).

But this is about your masterpiece, and I think everyone's looking forward to seeing the piece you want to build. Bring it on :D :D :D

Laurence

I just hope someday you will finish that! It is too good not to finish!!!

Bob

B)
Wow Bob, those structures are going to be big...and intricate to scratch-up!
I agree with you on the train station dio, something along those lines should fit well and add some texture to the rail area.

Ian.

You're an artist, so you understand balance. The left front corner needs something to balance it. The City Gate is just cause I like them and think it would add a dimension. The charm in European cities to me is all the clutter and tight spaces, ancient structures and absolutely no city planning like we have in America!

Bob

One of the most inspiring things I have seen is Logistics in progress. Everybody here has the ability to do their own " Logistics ". What ever the kit is or if you are scratching it from the beginning. If you ever get the chance to see Dad's museum you will know what I mean. I walked away from my visit with a new found desire to extend my skills. Thanks, Bob.

One of the most inspiring things I have seen is Logistics in progress. Everybody here has the ability to do their own " Logistics ". What ever the kit is or if you are scratching it from the beginning. If you ever get the chance to see Dad's museum you will know what I mean. I walked away from my visit with a new found desire to extend my skills. Thanks, Bob.

Paul, that was a very nice thing for you to say and I really appreciate it! I enjoy guys visiting and seeing the museum. As far as i know, there is nothing like it anywhere else in the entire world, at least that I know of. Tons of model history here. It isn't open to the public, only for me and my friends and that certainly includes everybody on modelers alliance.org. I know it inspires me almost daily. Sometimes I just go down with an adult beverage and hang out! I wish everybody on MA could see it. If you happen to be anywhere close, believe me, it's worth the trip! Since we moved here three years ago, we have had modelers from New York City, Boston, Los Angeles, Texas, Mississippi, Colorado, Tennessee, Oklahoma, One from Belgium, and many locals from Missouri. There are literally more than a thousand models and dioramas from people with names like Shep Paine, Verlinden, Pruneau, Mike Good, Ian Hill, John Bowery, European and Asian modelers work, the list goes on and on! All I ask is some notice to make sure we will either be at home and/or to be able to make the house presentable before you arrive! :) The wife made me add that! BTW, I keep lots of ice cold beer in the fridge!

Dad

P.S. If any of you haven't seen photos of the museum, go here and scroll down five posts.

https://modelersalliance.org/forum/bob-letterman/1371-the-entire-museum-history-1983-thru-the-present?start=60

B)
I agree with you on the train station dio, something along those lines should fit well and add some texture to the rail area.

Ian.

You're an artist, so you understand balance. The left front corner needs something to balance it. The City Gate is just cause I like them and think it would add a dimension. The charm in European cities to me is all the clutter and tight spaces, ancient structures and absolutely no city planning like we have in America!

Bob
:hmmm .....its hard to see any room at all in the left front without a bigger overall photo showing more of the area in question. It looks as though there is no room left with the railgun and the tanks etc. I maybe reading it wrong. Can you indicate with some lines on the image or a simple plan view sketch, what you are thinking?

Ian.

B)

Ian.

Bob
:hmmm .....its hard to see any room at all in the left front without a bigger overall photo showing more of the area in question. It looks as though there is no room left with the railgun and the tanks etc. I maybe reading it wrong. Can you indicate with some lines on the image or a simple plan view sketch, what you are thinking?

Ian.

OK Ian, I'll do my best to explain. If you notice in this photo, at the far left end of the tracks, I plan on removing the wall cap 18 inches (46cm), and in that space, I'll create the ruin of the train station. Here is an old photo of the wall that will be the base that holds the roof of the train shed. This is looking left to right. The 46cm that I will remove that concrete cap will be the space for the partial ruined train station. When it is finished and built, there will still be ample room for the locomotive, tender and K-5E rail gun. In fact there will be several inches that will be empty track.

DSCN4476.jpg

In this photo, you can see how the roof for the shed will set on the brick wall. there is a sufficient distance left on both the left and right sides of where the locomotive and tender are setting to put the rail gun and another 24 inches, (61 cm) left to build the partial ruin, (IT will be larger that the reference photo I posted.

DSCN4469.jpg

See below the refiner]nce photo I posted..

Train_station_ruin.jpg

As in larger European cities, there is the train station, then what I call a train shed. A huge and very long covered space to load and unload passengers. Mostly, these are made of steel and glass. They were primarily to give cover from the elements, snow and ice, for the passengers. The area under the shed was open on the far end and were not heated, just a shelter. The shelter butted up against the train station as this one will, albeit a lot of heavy damage to both the shed and the station. AS you can see in this photo a partial section of the train shed.

shedccopy~1.jpg

Luckily, the original base I designed for this is 8 feet, (2500 cm) long which gives me all the length I need.

In this photo you can see how the train shed steel and glass cover will attach. At the far end, imagine two of those brick sections removed and the ruined train station will be built in their place. Of course, then the train, tender and rail gun will be moved closer to the viewer to accommodate the Train station.

000000~5.JPG

The City Gate will be adjacent to the Old Town and will connect the department store to the Fisherstube gasthaus..

I hope that explains it and thanks for your interest! Just to make sure, I'll take an overall photo of the front of the diorama with the locomotive, tender and rail gun so you can see the space left for the train station. I'll post it tomorrow!

Bob

Very interested how you're going to do the damage Bob, something I am very keen to observe and learn :D

Laurence

Very interested how you're going to do the damage Bob, something I am very keen to observe and learn :D

Laurence

Well, eventually I'll get there Laurence.

For now I need to post some photos so Ian can understand what I'm doing!

First, here is the space I am making for the train station. It is 24 inches wide, (61cm) It is only a partial ruin, not the entire train station.

00000~15.JPG

You can see where the saw is standing where I cut off the concrete cap to the brick wall. That is where the train station ruin will be built!

000000~7.JPG

Bob

Sweet! I love seeing all this in panorama like that. I just wish it was possible to acquire full buildings like that in 1/72 scale!

Wow!!! So nice to see this come together!
(y) (y) (y) :notworthy

Greetings
Mats

Beautiful work Bob , simply beautiful !!!
It's always nice to see your craftsmanship unfold .
How's your health , you doing ok ?

Beautiful work Bob , simply beautiful !!!
It's always nice to see your craftsmanship unfold .
How's your health , you doing ok ?

Thanks Glenn

I'm managing. I'll be off the chemo in May. Thank God! That has been the worst part!

Bob

Back