• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Logistics, Base & Buildings, Updated Feb. 13, 2020

Logistics, Base and Buildings.

Thanks you guys!

Just kidding about the help! I never had help on the dios before and I'm too old to start now! I do appreciate the comments though! I keep saying this and s__t keeps happening, but I think I will have time now, uninterrupted, to finally wrap it up. I still have vehicles, figures, the train and K-5 rail gun to do, not to mention finishing the buildings. If I was still in my 40s, I'd say without hesitation another year on the outside. These days I can't be so positive as i can't work as hard or as long as I once did, so, we'll see as it goes along!

BTW, if any of you can make it by here, I'd love to meet you in person and give you the grand tour of the museum! That invitation is open to anybody on MA, just give me some advance notice!

Bob

I am getting prepared to recap what is left to be done on this diorama. I have been working on the vehicles and figures for years now, I haven't touched the base since 2008 and I would guess the base and buildings are about 80-85% finished. The Vehicles are divided into three threads, Armor, Trucks and Jeeps and Rolling Stock. Then there is the figure thread.

As this thread, The Base and Buildings, is the primary for the five Logistics diorama threads, and when finished, (I'm so optimistic), it will be posted here. So, this is where I will post this recap as to where I am at this point.

First, I posted 15 completed vehicles on Trucks and Jeeps a few days ago. Here is that group altogether.

all_copy.JPG

Then, there are 18 completed vehicles other than those. Here is a photo of those 18.

00~13.JPG

That makes 33 if my addition is correct, shown here altogether.

000~11.JPG

Then, there are 18 more vehicles that have been built, base coated, some with insignia, some had been washed with the raw umber and distilled turpentine mixture but not yet detailed and/or had the figures added.

00000~7.JPG

Then there are 5 horse drawn carts and wagons used by the refugees headed away from the fighting. Those have been built, a couple painted and weathered, but none finished or with the added horses and drivers.

000000~2.JPG

That brings the total of vehicles to 56. There are also 8 bicycles that I didn't count.

I will now begin to finish up figures. 435 altogether. I have right at 200 finished, another 110 nearing completion and 105 remaining built but as yet unpainted or partially painted! The majority of those are civilians, German women and children, old men and such. Plus refugees. I also have 20 German soldiers, POWs and some high rankling officers being interrogated, plus three combatants that have been captured in an alley toward the back of the diorama after a firefight with American paratroops. The diorama will be a 360° scene and some vignettes may only be seen from the sides and back. I would guess there will be about 70 to 80 vignettes throughout the entire diorama of figures interacting with each other creating incidents that will be recognizable to the viewers..

Realistically, I have another 60 or so US soldiers to go in or on the vehicles. (About 130 of them will be in or on the vehicles altogether). If I was still 40 or 50 years old, I would say I'd have it finished this year. But, I'm not. I do now feel I can at least see the light at the end of the tunnel. I am at that stage where I have great periods, good periods and not-so-good periods, so, we'll see from here.

Thanks for looking in!

Bob

Logistics, Base & Buildings. Updated Feb. 5, 2018

And I consider it a good year if I finish two. :blush:

Stuning in both scope and artistry.

It is an always outstanding diorama Bob! So far I like it about the best and it has been really nice in that the glass isn't in the way yet and it can be looked at from 3 sides. Every time I have come by there seems to be something I missed before.

:notworthy :notworthy

It is an always outstanding diorama Bob! So far I like it about the best and it has been really nice in that the glass isn't in the way yet and it can be looked at from 3 sides. Every time I have come by there seems to be something I missed before.

:notworthy :notworthy

Well thanks Paul,

Of course, as you know, the plexiglass cases are absolutely necessary. The acid in dust destroys the paint and weathering as well as any fine detail. The last time I saw "The Winds of War" it still looked like the day I finished it, and it is now 43 years old. Hell, I'l bet there are a few members on here that are younger than it is! :yipee

And even Legacies is more than 33 years old now!

Bob

Ha, that's funny, My Honey tank developed a nice layer of dust over the years, each time show it in wins bigger prize...:rotf

Ha, that's funny, My Honey tank developed a nice layer of dust over the years, each time show it in wins bigger prize...:rotf

Maybe it looks more weathered each time! :idonno :D

When the Miniature World museum was moved from the VLS facility to downtown St. Charles in 1995-96, the City of St. Charles hired a museum consultant from California. She spent a month supervising the lighting and environmental details during construction. I learned a lot from her about how the environment, especially lighting, can effect models over time. Basically, the old style florescent lights fade the paint and faster than you might imagine.

If they are on the objects eight hours a day, 5 to 6 days a week, within a few months, the fading is unbelievable. When I set up the lighting in my basement, I used mostly L.E.D.s I also used some conventional florescent tubes, but then, the lights are only turned on when people visit, probably less that 20 hours a month. She knew her business well . She specialized in art museums where lighting was critical. She showed me some video clips made in laboratories that illustrated the effects of dust on paint and fragile materials used commonly on models.

I remember one of the examples was the Heller 1/100th scale French Ship of the line, Soleil Royale. It had been beautifully built and it was put in a room without any cover for a year. Then they did comparison shots both with standard cameras and with special microscopic lenses. I was amazed at the destruction common dust can do. The paint was etched away in places, and all the rigging and ratlines was destroyed forever, even though the had been coated with beeswax when it was built. Many of the rigging lines were so damaged, they fell apart. That was such a shame for such a beautifully built and painted model.

Years ago, our house was struck by lightening. I was amazed then at what simple smoke can do. I had a .38 blue steel Chief special. It was in a drawer in the master bedroom and the fire was a hundred feet away. Not only were all our clothes in the closets and drawers ruined, but that revolver looked like it had been under water for decades, covered in something that looked to me like barnacles. The fire never got near to it, but the acid in the smoke destroyed it.

That was the same kind of shock I felt when I watched the presentation of the effects of dust. Nothing in that museum was left in the open. We spent a fortune on plexiglass covers and dozens of large glass cases. That museum was 5 - 6 times larger than the one I have posted on this site. There were four collections at that time, mine being the smallest, displays donated and loaned models from all over the country and even some foreign countries!

Something to consider if you want a special model or diorama to last. I would have never thought about any of that without seeing with my own eyes.

Bob

That's what I'm banking on...I'm going for best of show next year. :dude :rotf

I've seen what you're talking about also. The ol' NMF amiya P51 that I had such a hard time with shows serious issues with dust and other things. The finish is ruined now, even the spots that looked really good now look pitted.

That's what I'm banking on...I'm going for best of show next year. :dude :rotf

I've seen what you're talking about also. The ol' NMF amiya P51 that I had such a hard time with shows serious issues with dust and other things. The finish is ruined now, even the spots that looked really good now look pitted.

"That's what I'm banking on...I'm going for best of show next year. :dude :rotc "

I gotta tell you, that's funny! :yipee

On the serious side, I should have known about dust before she wised me up. Back in the 1960s, I was really into model cars. One of my specialities was the high gloss finish. I don't think I ever entered a contest that I didn't take a "Best Paint". In 1967, Susan pushed me into entering an F.W. Woolworth, (The Walmart of it's day), national model car contest. I entered three of the best I had ever done. I really went all out building them. I heard there were more than a hundred thousand entries nationwide. I kept going up the ladder until the finals. I won first and third places, including a new Yamaha motorcycle, hundreds of dollars in kits, paint, etc. We were pretty poor in those days and that really came in handy!

Of course, those two models became my prized possessions after that. I kept them on a shelf and a couple of years later, they were pitted and fell apart when I picked them up! What a shame. i'd love to have those to put in the museum today! I'd love to see how they would hold up against what is being built today! I don't even have any photographs of them. I only have newspaper clippings from the win and they are yellowed and long shots. :-(

Bob

Wow Bob,

So many vehicles, impressive collection and keeping thing dust free pays off.

Nice work, will have to see this in person when you finish. The museum looks fantastic. :good:

Michael

I am getting prepared to recap what is left to be done on this diorama. I have been working on the vehicles and figures for years now, I haven't touched the base since 2008 and I would guess the base and buildings are about 80-85% finished. The Vehicles are divided into three threads, Armor, Trucks and Jeeps and Rolling Stock. Then there is the figure thread.

As this thread, The Base and Buildings, is the primary for the five Logistics diorama threads, and when finished, (I'm so optimistic), it will be posted here. So, this is where I will post this recap as to where I am at this point.

First, I posted 15 completed vehicles on Trucks and Jeeps a few days ago. Here is that group altogether.

all_copy.JPG

Then, there are 18 completed vehicles other than those. Here is a photo of those 18.

00~13.JPG

That makes 33 if my addition is correct, shown here altogether.

000~11.JPG

Then, there are 18 more vehicles that have been built, base coated, some with insignia, some had been washed with the raw umber and distilled turpentine mixture but not yet detailed and/or had the figures added.

00000~7.JPG

Then there are 5 horse drawn carts and wagons used by the refugees headed away from the fighting. Those have been built, a couple painted and weathered, but none finished or with the added horses and drivers.

000000~2.JPG

That brings the total of vehicles to 56. There are also 8 bicycles that I didn't count.

I will now begin to finish up figures. 435 altogether. I have right at 200 finished, another 110 nearing completion and 105 remaining built but as yet unpainted or partially painted! The majority of those are civilians, German women and children, old men and such. Plus refugees. I also have 20 German soldiers, POWs and some high rankling officers being interrogated, plus three combatants that have been captured in an alley toward the back of the diorama after a firefight with American paratroops. The diorama will be a 360° scene and some vignettes may only be seen from the sides and back. I would guess there will be about 70 to 80 vignettes throughout the entire diorama of figures interacting with each other creating incidents that will be recognizable to the viewers..

Realistically, I have another 60 or so US soldiers to go in or on the vehicles. (About 130 of them will be in or on the vehicles altogether). If I was still 40 or 50 years old, I would say I'd have it finished this year. But, I'm not. I do now feel I can at least see the light at the end of the tunnel. I am at that stage where I have great periods, good periods and not-so-good periods, so, we'll see from here.

Thanks for looking in!

Bob
Totaly MANTASTIC and Fantastic and every good ....TIC there is :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Wow Bob,

So many vehicles, impressive collection and keeping thing dust free pays off.

Nice work, will have to see this in person when you finish. The museum looks fantastic. :good:

Michael

Thanks Michael,

I appreciate that! You do know we live halfway around the world from each other, don't you? :yipee

Bob

Very impressive!! :woohoo:
The amount of vehicles and figures are just mindblowing! i struggle to finnish one or two hahaha
(y) (y) (y)

Back