• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Logistics, Base & Buildings, Updated Feb. 13, 2020

Re:Black Dog Beer Hall SBS

I cut them to size using a brass tube with a diamond phonograph needle soldered on.

that's a kewl idea! How thick do you think you can cut something with this?

Aw man, MP, you would ask that!!

I have never owned calipers so I don't have a clue.

Are you familiar with microscope slides? Well, a slip is so thin, you could stack maybe ten of them and maybe, maybe, approximate the height of a slide. It will score either one, but the slide will break all to hell when you pop it on a straight edge. The slip will break just like Kem Abrams works when he scores a piece of plate glass!

Bob

Charles, Erik and Ant.

Thanks Guys, I appreciate your comments. It's about time, I got off my A#@, and posted something!

Bob

I've been having problems cutting brass sheet without it rounding, either with shears or hobby knife. I've had good luck with a bow pencil with the points on both arms scoring as you swing it around drawing the circle. It's the straight cuts that are getting me. Thought that little tool could do the trick as long as the sheets are not too thick.

Well Bob this is an awesome SBS , now how long does it take you to build a building such as this ? I imagine it requires some careful sketches being made before hand with measurements .

Do you look at a specific building for inspiration for a building such as this ? The different architecture styles ?

Jenny :kiss:

I don't think so. Maybe, but I guess it depends on how thick the brass is. I have cut a lot of brass sheet in my life and I always use a no/ 11 Exacto blade to score it, (Over and Over), or if thicker brass, a brand new box knife blade, again, over and over, against a stainless steel ruler.

I know that sounds like a no-brainer, but that is what I use.

Bob

jenny croft wrote:
Well Bob this is an awesome SBS , now how long does it take you to build a building such as this ? I imagine it requires some careful sketches being made before hand with measurements .

Do you look at a specific building for inspiration for a building such as this ? The different architecture styles ?

Jenny :kiss:

Thanks Boss!

Honestly, I don't know. I have never timed one. If I were to guess, probably somewhere between 40 hours all the way up to a 2 or 3 hundred or more hours, depending on the size and complexity.

Once in a while, I use a real building, (Photograph), for inspiration. I don't think I have ever made an exact duplicate of a real building, just use this or that. I only sketch the diorama base when starting out. I can't remember ever drawing a building. Usually they just pop into my head. Over the last 50 years, the more than 200 times, I have went to Europe, has been my stash of reference. Remember, my first visit there was in the army for three years way back in 1958. If I crammed all those visits into one, I would guess I have spent more than seven or eight years there. And, always, 70% of my time is spent absorbing, like a sponge, those magnificent buildings and structures, not to mention all the tiny details.

I categorize the different styles of architecture in my head. They are very distinct and different from country to country!

I always appreciate your comments Jenny!

Bob

bob letterman wrote:
I don't think so. Maybe, but I guess it depends on how thick the brass is. I have cut a lot of brass sheet in my life and I always use a no/ 11 Exacto blade to score it, (Over and Over), or if thicker brass, a brand new box knife blade, again, over and over, against a stainless steel ruler.

I know that sounds like a no-brainer, but that is what I use.

Bob

I'm looking for short cuts...guess the scoring is the easiest way.

Okay Buddy,

If you find a better or quicker way, please pass it on to the rest of us!

Bob

Bob,
Great stuff and very interesting in progress photo's. It just amazes me you can take the buildings out and work on them separately. :woohoo:
We will happily wait for any posting from you. You do have to go a fill the camper up with gas from time to time.

Cheers
John

Well Bob I am always amazed at how you make your buildings. I have trouble just making dirt to set a tank on. Can you give me some ideas for something simple like a chicken house or a outhouse so I can learn how you do this stuff.

Great work!!

Terry

Hey John, Terry and Johnny,

Thanks as always! It's about time I posted something!

Bob

Ah, nice to see you posting again! Everyone has already stated what I would say about your work.

Thanks,

senior - that's what can only be described with "vintage letterman quality"!

thank you very much for sharing this with us bunch of learners!

Re:Logistics, My new Diorama, Base and Buildings.

Hi Ian,

I just posted another building SBS in the Masterclass section.

Been a little lazy lately.

Bob

Great post Bob, I love the transformation from plastic card to rendered realistic building. A-maz-ing B). You make it look so easy, when I know the skills and experience are making the effects appear.

great post.
Ian.

Back