• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Logistics, Base & Buildings, Updated Feb. 13, 2020

Re:Logistics, My new Diorama, Base and Buildings.

This is an astounding window into the world of... our dreams! I've been following your work for a long time, Bob- it's just a real treat to see such detailed pics of your process. I've always wondered about- well-the logistics indeed of how you built, let alone moved such elaborate and enchanting works. Who would've imagined that humble old corrugated cardboard would be the basis for a palace? Thanks so much for lessons- I can't get enough!
Cheers
chuk

Well, thanks Chuk!

I really admire your art as well. My father had a style very similar to yours in cartooning. I was just never as good as he was, so I went in this direction.

BTW, beautiful work on the site graphics! I study every image you post on here!

Sounds like a mutual admiration society to me!!

Thanks again,

Bob

Hi Bob

This stuff blows me away every time I come back to have a look. Enough said.

Keep it up ;)

Ant

Bob , watching your work develop never gets old , always an inspiration !!!!!

As a matter of fact it's the day after Thanksgiving , .............. nothing planned , ........ I'm off to the modeling room , ........ with a few trips to the day after Thanksgiving recycling potty !!!!

Thanks Ant!

Cheyenne wrote:
Bob , watching your work develop never gets old , always an inspiration !!!!!

As a matter of fact it's the day after Thanksgiving , .............. nothing planned , ........ I'm off to the modeling room , ........ with a few trips to the day after Thanksgiving recycling potty !!!!

Thanks Glenn, I think......

Did I inspire you to do the former, or the latter :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Bob

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

No you're the modeling room inspiration , ................

The wifes cooking and my overindulging on Turkey day is responsible for the , ............... recycling !!!!

You know, I'm not trying to raise a big stink (pause for effect)...I'm all about detail but really...way more than we need here. :blink

Glenn, Bob, please, I know I started it!

ROFLMAO!!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Lets change the subject!

Bob

I agree , subject , ............ and pants , ........... changed .

everytime i see this i turn so green with envy
keep spoiling us with this eye candy MASTER BOB

Hi Bob, any progress on this monster of a master piece?

I picked up a copy of Military modelling with your article; very inspiring. I must have read it 6000 times!

:woohoo:

Martyn

Hi Martyn,

No, I've been lazy lately. My wife and I were down on the Gulf coast for the last six weeks vegging out! WE just got home and I intend to start back hot and heavy next week. I'll finish it, count on it!

Thanks, Bob

Hey, Bob
I guess you really can't have your cake and eat it, too. Now, we'll all be keeping our eyes open for diorama supplies at the next wedding, anniversary, bar mitzvah... we attend.
Great job, Bob.
Randy

Bob,
Always great to come and see what's on this thread.
Keep sending pics as you get stuff done.
:notworthy :blush:
V/R
Shawn

HI Bob, how is this doing? Got any more time to do this? I keep looking over this! I would love to do something like this but sadly room is in short supply and my Parents would go crazy! :woohoo:

Finally managed to get a copy of Superdioramas, excellent book! :cheer:

Hey Martyn!

No, sorry, nothing new at this time. I have been really busy for the last 3 months with another matter.

I will be back to the bench within the next week or two. Thanks for being interested.

Remember this. I built my first one, then assembled it in my garage, took it to a show, then discovered it was too big to fit through my doors.

Glad you like the book, where did you find it, in an antique book store :laugh:

Thanks,

Bob

Black Dog Beer Hall SBS

When I began building "Logistics", I intended to put a wedge shaped building with a cigar/cigarette/news stand as the first floor business. I actually built it to the point of 80% completion. It looked Okay, just okay. I kept walking by it and after awhile, I decided to pitch it. I could never make myself like it.

oldcig.jpg

A shot from the side

oldcig3.jpg

So, what should I replace it with? What else, a German Brauhaus! I called it the Schwarze Hund. (Black dog). I wanted to put a floor above the street and an arch for traffic to pass. I began with my usual corrugated cardboard frame. You may note the resin brick sheet glued to the first floor of the structure. The lower half will remain as only cardboard as it will fit into the opening of the base and never be seen. I also used Grandt Line windows. Yes, they make other things besides bolts and rivets! I cut the openings to fit. These two pieces, with the arch complete the rear facade.

beerhal6l.jpg

Next, the arch is built using the same materials. At the bottom of the picture, you will notice three sheets of matt board. The upper floors will be laminated with this material as it gives the structure much more strength and will accept the plaster which will be added later without harming the corrugated cardboard beneath.

beerhall2.jpg

Here we see the back and sides complete with the resin and matt board laminates in place. It has been fitted into the hole in the base for proper fitting. I used balsa strips to simulate the open beam construction of the second floor. The third floor is a mansard style roof. The shingles being cut from the 135th Construction Battalion sheets. I am not sure if they are still in production.

Logistics3.jpg

The dormers were another product of that company. I made wedges from plastic sheet to span the space between the dormers and the roof. The gutters were converted from some wooden doll house material, then, someone, sorry, I can no longer remember who, sculpted a dog that I casted and modified, (Two each corner and attached to the gutters.) I used thin plaster and a tiny spatula to approximate the texture of the stucco between the open timbers. I heated sheets of the resin bricks in boiling water, then slowly bent them to fit the contour of the inside of the arch.

DSCN4401.jpg

Here is the front of the building facing the main street. I have simulated Allied bombing runs throughout the diorama and the Black Dog is no exception. The majority of the facade has been blown out. Inside, I created the three floors. I used microscope slips, not slides, (They are far too thick), for the windows. I cut them to size using a brass tube with a diamond phonograph needle soldered on. It cuts the very thin glass just like a real glass cutter. Then using tools I have found over the years at doll house shops to create the curtains, 135th Const. Bn again for the wall paper and flooring. The final picture in this SBS is only about 70 to 80% finished.

DSCN4403.jpg

Here is a shot of the interior in progress. When complete, it will have much more of a brown or earth tone to the colors, plus some more details. The bay window was again a product of the 135th Const. Bn. The micro slips were also used in that. I usually attach them with superglue and after secure, break then with a sharp point until I achieve the look I am seeking. I made the walls thicker where exposed by using a cork sheet in between the corrugated cardboard and the matt board interior walls. Then at the edges, I used 135th Const. Bn bricks to simulate the torn walls. There will be huge amounts of rubble added to this and all the other buildings when complete.

IMG_1477copy.jpg

Here is a shot of the Black Dog in it's current state of construction. The stone chimney is from, what else, 135th Const. Bn. Boy, will I miss that company. I designed it to market the materials that would make my work, and hopefully, other modelers, to scratch their model buildings. Alas, I don't think the current owner of all the old VLS lines wants to continue with them.

DSCN4469.jpg

Another angle.

DSCN4476.jpg

And a slightly different one.

IMG_1802copy.jpg

About 80% complete, it makes a much more imposing structure for the front of the diorama, albeit the back of the building. After the 46 vehicles and the 250 plus figures are completed, I will return to the buildings and complete them one at a time. No real reason to do it that way, just always have.

Hope you like it!

shedccopy~0.jpg

Re:Black Dog Beer Hall SBS

Hi Bob,

It is and was allways a great inspiration to see your work, so much detail! Love it!

It's great to see how these works of art are born!!

Erik

Re:Black Dog Beer Hall SBS

Thats just great Bob. Simple (ish) materials used to create another masterpiece. It really looks the business in position on your "dio"

Ant

Back