• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

JS-2 Breakthrough tank...on to Berlin!!!

B)
looking good!
It's worth the effort of cutting away the guards on these big boys as they look so much better when ruffed up and stripped down.
Nice turret texture too.
Ian.

I agree. I was thinking of not tearing up the fenders, but Iron Mike gave me some links and some pointers that are giving me a pretty good vision of where I want to go with this.

Corrected version of the tracks bought! Got the out as you can see

h065c793.JPG

Not shown is the .020 wire. NOT digging the chasing of the holes, , 20 minutes work linked up 5 links total! I have another thought regarding this, but am going to have to wait until tomorrow when I get to the store to try it out.

OK, got bit more done as of late. I was trying to figure a way to not chase the holes, and came across this guy's vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmlB2HPf83Y&list=PL36ch62Wd15XHrsPGScFf9bJ1gbBJCp2c

Issue is, those neat little pins he happily shows off do not seem to be available in the US! Buying them in U.K. or from 'Down Under' and shipping theme here just seemed a bit extraneous, so I elected to chase the holes, and use wire. My local Hobby Lobby had .019 wire, and tholes were .020, so it made a sweet match. Still a ways to go on one side, but almost there, with the other side rolled and banded

hf601f68.JPG

the holes are still a pain, but man the end result is certainly worth it

h3ab7008.JPG

Hey Iron Mike, have you tried the Master-club? I have to give round 1 to them, I think their product has been better cast and easier to work with overall.

Otherwise, I got more of the upper/lower hull complete. they are just pressed together here, but you can see that removing the fenders has created quite a gap at the rear each side to be filled. I am going to try & get to it filled, the Photo-etch fenders on, and finish the tracks by the weekend...that's a tall order so we will see, but it's looking good so far either way!!!

h38407e6.JPG

h5c3af31.JPG

Looks odd without those fenders, huh? This thing was all turret!

h3a31e6c.JPG

h7f041d4.JPG

Brass is magnetic?

Neat technique. Not much unlike the rig Mike showed us with wood frame. Wonder if Scale Hardware (or whoever they are now) would consider making correct size pins with heads.

Looking good Bruce.

I did a quick review of the click tracks from Master Club on page 9 of my T-62 I built for the Main Battle Tank campaign back in 2016. They go together easily, but I think I still prefer the weight of metal tracks. If your track pins aren't snug when you assemble, you may have issues with pins falling out later.
:good:

I did a quick review of the click tracks from Master Club on page 9 of my T-62 I built for the Main Battle Tank campaign back in 2016. They go together easily, but I think I still prefer the weight of metal tracks. If your track pins aren't snug when you assemble, you may have issues with pins falling out later.
:good:

The Master-Club tracks I had used earlier wee all pewter-metal, though I know they do offer resin ones, should have been more specific.

Plan is to build up a bit more fundage and "pay the price" and get some of those neat 'magnetic brass' (i.e; plated steel) pins, and give that a try. Will have to be on another kit though

Am aware of the need for snugness, may have to try a dab of glue with this set, but we will see. Am terribly curious - I may have to assemble the wheels and hook it all up just to see what it looks like when it rolls!

His idea of using the hold and fold looks like it might be plausible if you have a metal version and a vise. I'm not sold on hammering the pins in however.
Everything you always wanted to know about assembling Friulmodel tracks (but were afraid to ask)

https://modelersalliance.org/forum/after-market/69495-friulmodel-track-assembly

Using CA on the ends will hold the pins, but if you plan to chemically blacken your tracks, you'll have a shiny spot where the glue is. No point in ordering pins overseas, Walmart or some of the local fabric stores carry pins. B)

Ok so I got some of the fenders on - that was more of a job than I thought! I tried several ideas without success, eventually resorting to taking a small die grinder and routing a slot for them onto either side. Right, leaning towards leaving most of onside off, have to see how it goes, I promise better pics when I have more real work complete:

h2af15de.JPG

hb142b76.JPG

Storms rolling in, so going to stop off and clean B4 the wifey gets home

h8fda94b.JPG

h42df34b.JPG

OK so I still lack some external items on the hull, and the fender brackets, but looking pretty good at this point. This was waaaaaay more work than first appears! I basically had to undercut a groove in the hull, then mount the fenders, but I think it will be worth it in the end. Anyway this is it for now, gonna kick off 'till sometime next week. Getting very close though...and having fun!!!\

h9ff5fe0.JPG

h5e5a109.JPG

hb436a21.JPG

What you got looks pretty good already. Still, I'll be watching for additional pics.

Seeing those storm clouds makes me envious! I'm here in 100+ degree heat with clear blue skies baking us into charcoal. I miss a good storm.....

Seeing those storm clouds makes me envious! I'm here in 100+ degree heat with clear blue skies baking us into charcoal. I miss a good storm.....

Storms rolling in everyday right now. Heat to be at 90+ next week, makes me VERY thankful for my fan at work! I do not mind them though, 'cause #1, they keep the temps down, & #2, our nearby county airport leases part of their field to the military, and when we have cloud cover like this, I get to see neat stuff. Earlier, one of the laterst version of the CH-53 flew over. you can hear it coming 'cause everything vibrates!

Back