• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

John's 1/72 Challenger 2 "Iraq 2003" MBT

tanktrax

Here's my entry for the build. :)

Dragon's Challenger 2 "Iraq 2003" MBT -

challenger2_001_20100501_1930780771.jpg

Work commenced... This is an OOTB build, with maybe a small diorama base.

Not much to these braille scale tanks.... :)

challenger2_092_20100501_1709732685.jpg

challenger2_093_20100501_1153401131.jpg

Good Start John :) , I have been doing mostly detail painting on my LVT today , but I will start building tomorrow ;)

Jenny :kiss:

Hi John.

That is a nice looking Challenger II. It is going to look so cool when you get all the heavy desert weathering on this one. So what do you tink it is gonna take to finish the build portion, maybe another 2 or 3 hours? These modern quality mini kits are just amazing, don't yah think?

Gary B)

Looks nice John :) . From last years Braille bonanza I would advise to test fit the Dragon DS tracks before painting , nearly all of last years needed to have a link or two removed to get a good fit but they glue together easily . ;)

Jenny :kiss:

Re:John's 1/72 Challenger 2

jenny croft wrote:
From last years Braille bonanza I would advise to test fit the Dragon DS tracks before painting , nearly all of last years needed to have a link or two removed to get a good fit but they glue together easily . ;)

This kit has the horrible rubber type. I did a test fit and they don't even come close to being able to be joined (almost 1cm short!). Luckily, with this version of the Challenger and with the side armour there is no chance of being able to see the gap.

Apart from the tracks, I'm quite impressed with these new 1:72 kits. It's been over 25 years since I last built something in this scale and I am quite surprised with the quality and detail.

This group build has been lots of fun so far. :cheer: It's nice to have the kit build part almost completed in just one weekend rather than the usual 3+ months it takes me to do the 1:35 kits with all the extra photoetch etc. :blink

Ok, Challenger II now has it's underpants on... :eek:hmy: ahem... undercoat on. :laugh:

challenger2_092_20100504_1558157779.jpg

challenger2_093_20100504_1414178021.jpg

challenger2_094_20100504_1111580782.jpg

Also, all antenna (finely stretched sprue) and front facing (spare fine plastic card) IFF panels added.

John everything looks really good. I'm ready to see some paint.

Terry B)

Hi John.

She sure does look fine in just her underpants :laugh: . And I know for a fact that it is a she :kiss: , cause I looked under her side skirts ;) . Now she just needs a little makeup for some color.

Gary B)

Main coat on and bits painted... weathering also started with pigments on one track... washes to be done on all...

challenger2_092_20100508_1106037641.jpg

challenger2_093_20100508_1143970040.jpg

Hi John, Sweeeet looking modern beast you have built so far :peace.

Wish my antennas would come out that nice.....Randy

Update.... Assembled...

Weathering (washes and pigments) in progress... The lighter areas on the hull top (side and front) have been weathered. Turret, rear hull and sides have had the first wash... pigments yet to do (which lightens the colour to be something closer to a more realistic colour as opposed to the standard "desert" colour - Used Tamiya Desert Yellow and Buff (50-50) for base colour.

Need to fix that decal on the hull side that silvered badly - they were poor and oversized decals :angry:

challenger2_092_20100511_1853016956.jpg

Nearly ended in disaster last night when I just missed spilling the bottle of decal setting solution all over it.... missed it by that ][ much.... :eek:hmy:

Back