• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Italeri BMW motorcycle with sidecar

Give it a roof and some wheels and it might pass for a smart car :rotf

That's a lot of seam work my friend :soldier

Cheers, Christian B)

i used rattle cans for this as at this stage i wanted just a plain finish ( no pre shade etc) but be warned i am nearly at the end of the second can :) There is a lot of surface on this kit and its big. still quite a way to go as although it looks complete there is no detail at all so far, just got the paint down on the large areas.
Now the fiddley stuff starts

All the assemblies look really good,looking forward to seeing them come together. :eek:hyeah

anyone know what the thing sticking out the back is ? the tube with a small chain on. It seems to be in most original pictures but not the kit.
As a machine this is way ahead of its time. These were built pre war and compared to British stuff of the same era its way ahead. For a military vehicle its also pretty well built, i had no idea these things had a driven sidecar wheel via a differential on the side of the rear wheel shaft drive unit, again something i have never seen before, bit of a pig i would think if the rear wheel is spinning/slipping and you have grip on the sidecar wheel as i doubt it would want to go straight :) The dif was lockable and the gearbox had two sets of gears, off road and normal so high low....and of course it had reverse. The engine only managed 26hp and the whole thing weighed near 1000lb so it wasnt going to win any races. It was dropped in favour of the Zundapp in service and i know ESCI did a model in this series of it but i doubt i will find one at a reasonable price.

this is the Zundapp

9752725_9.jpg

9752725_7.jpg

Looks like some sort of brace that stowed there. Maybe a jack stand for the sidecar?

Wow , a rather complicated trailer hitch . I would like to see why it is so complicated :blush:

Hey Paddy . The 1950's VW only had 36 HP . Not a race car but they got along just fine :)

Cheers, Christian B)

Wow , a rather complicated trailer hitch . I would like to see why it is so complicated :blush:

Hey Paddy . The 1950's VW only had 36 HP . Not a race car but they got along just fine :)

Cheers, Christian B)

The motorcycle probably weighed more. :rotf

looks great Paddy!

checking out some videos on Youtube, looks like these things handled quite well in rough terrain, especially with the outer sidecar wheel being driven.

So this is where i am at now
A couple of pictures before i join the bike to the car

Still a way to go as i need to add weathering Decals and some more detail.

Back