• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Hasegawa Grumman F-14A Tomcat COMPLETE!

Hasegawa Grumman F-14A Tomcat - EXEMPT

Some ordinance that will be going on the Tomcat

hf569a14.jpg

I'm going to modify the pylons for the Phoenix missiles to accommodate the torpedoes by reversing the secondary ones and cutting them down and then joining them together.

h77129df.jpg

he9808fd.jpg

working on expanding the cockpit as well to accommodate another seat

h72b031a.jpg

and lastly, trying to firm up the wings so I'll be able to move them. going to add some styrene to hold them in place then put a cap on so they can rotate.

h586ed5a.jpg

You are a very clever Man! For YOU we make very special won-ton soup!
:salute :ro:

Sensational work Warren! Brilliant ideas too! So, what is the third seat for? Will he be manning a machine gun shooting aft? :D

Sensational work Warren! Brilliant ideas too! So, what is the third seat for? Will he be manning a machine gun shooting aft? :D

Yes Mark, though with your post, I've re-thought my strategy. can't exactly have an open cockpit at speeds...... :hmmm

I should have an update posted later today.

so, as I said before, I wanted to be able to make the wings fold in and out for display and these Hasegawa kits are not the fancy new Tamiya F-14. I used some scrap sheet styrene to close off the openings

h62a9037.jpg

grounded this down with a Dremel and it works fine now.

h1227f15.jpg

hfd078ad.jpg

I'm getting excited about this one!

h161fc61.jpg

I built most of the extension on the cockpit to included a 3rd crew facing rear and had to carve out part of the back of the fuselage to accept the extra canopy. There wasn't much material left so this will have to be built up so I can install the new glass.

hb84351e.jpg

h0a026dd.jpg

I made cushions for the rear seat from some sheet and tube styrene, just cutting small pieces of round to look like a padded seat cushion.

h6ef7b13.jpg

As I mentioned earlier today, after Mark commented I started thinking more about the rear gun. Originally I was thinking a standard 7.62 mm
found on most Japanese aircraft at the time but with this thing travelling at high speeds, one wouldn't want that canopy open. So, logical conclusion: have some sort of remote operated gun and I borrowed one from a Me 410. Thanks Mark!!! (y)

he132798.jpg

This required more cutting!

h3b9be30.jpg

With that, the remote gun looks better recessed into the body. I'll just have to do some fine tuning now and shape the fuselage for the rear canopy addition.

h5e20264.jpg

I realized I don't have many pics of the new interior I built so here's one, I'll try and show more after I paint it.

h604f5fb.jpg

So here is how she sits right now awaiting a sanding session

h6b281cc.jpg

h041defd.jpg

More to come!

A rear gunner? More like the FDB-14, Fighter-Dive-Bomber :popcorn

Brilliant work man! Great minds think alike; I was going to suggest a remote controlled turret for this. Way to go man!

Wish I could say I had some decent progress with this but I don't so i'll just distract you all with some art!

h24cd2e8.jpg

had to check where I Ieft off with this. Just ordered some resin wheels to replace the metal and vinyl ones that came with the kit!

more to come!

:popcorn

Sometimes the things my granddaughter does just embarrass me!

Back