• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

German U-boat Type VIIB Conning Tower Gun Deck

hf4af01d.jpg

Ps,
i see you added loops to the flag ,but it looks like you forgot to add a white border.

h990ab30.jpg

You could even ad a Kommandantenwimpel.

h4a7e9a7.jpg

h8fdccfb.jpg

h6ebb709.jpg

Good eye Piet, will get that part handled, thank you. I will research the "Kommandantenwimpel" see how that will work too.

Thx Mike, appreciate that Bro.

Thanks Luiz and Christian.

Cheers, Ski.

Was a bit quick with my reply :D ..... you dont have enough conning tower.
the Kommandantenwimpelt was flown on a separate pole.

Ya, I'll still check er out, but you're right, the entire tower would have been way too much for my wallet, lol.

Thx Piet. Cheers, Ski.

Take A Seat, Relax. Wood Planks

One feature on the U-Boats was seating for the crew to take a break on the "smoking deck". From what I've read the planks were wood and some boats didn't have any, but more than likely they were removed due to damage, etc.

In the photos below you can see how I clamped the planks in place for pinning and securing them. After the bass wood was cut to fit I used sewing pins to secure them to the railing supports. I drilled a slight recess into the wood to get a flush fit on the sewing pins. I then flipped the tower over and soldered the pins in place and trimmed the excess. Then I went back and lightly sanded the plank with 600 grit sand paper. This process was fast and easy.

_DSC2587b-vi.jpg

_DSC2590b-vi.jpg

_DSC2597b-vi.jpg

And, a photo of the flag mounted temporarily. Not shown here, but I did add the white strip on the mounting side of the flag. Thx for the intel Piet.

_DSC2592b-vi.jpg

Next up, sanding the gun and mount, what a hoot!

Cheers, Ski.

Thx Christian.

Yep, they're soldered on the underside, then filed flush. It was the only way to secure the wood.

Thanks Luiz, more to follow.

Cheers, Ski.

Thx Christian.

Yep, they're soldered on the underside, then filed flush. It was the only way to secure the wood.

Thanks Luiz, more to follow.

Cheers, Ski.

That's what I was thinking but couldn't spot them . Fine soldering :good:

Cheers, Christian B)

Wow, Ski! That is quite an impressive undertaking. There's lots of great detail work going on there and with it being a larger scale the audience will actually be able to see it and appreciate it unlike if this were done in 1/35th scale or smaller.

Your soldering work looks good. I don't know if I would ever try something like this, but you make it look easy. :) I'm sure it isn't and that there are a bunch of 4-letter explicatives bouncing around your work space. :)

Great work. I look forward to seeing this one finished. I am sure it will be awesome.

Cheers, Bro!

James

Thx mucho Brother James. Ah, the cussing goes with the territory, HA! One good reason to always kee3p the door closed, lol. I've3 done quite a bot of soldering now, so it's become quite easy, just need to make sure it's practical for the application. In other words, I ain't gonna do it if I ain't gotta, HA! Thx for the compliment Bro.

Thx Mr. MP!

Sanding The Deck Gun And Mount

Ok, now that the deck has been completed and is ready for priming and painting it's time to fight the good fight and sand the deck gun and mount. The mount was not such a big deal, but this gun is one piece and it has some very delicate parts within the structure that are not easy to get to. As you can see, cutting up sand paper into long strips was a necessity and saved my sanity.

_DSC2599b-vi.jpg

_DSC2600b-vi.jpg

_DSC2605b-vi.jpg

I ran into a fore mentioned issue with improperly mixed resin on this gun, so it's been a long process to bring it in to line. I am paying for my lack of attention to detail weeks ago, go figure. Ah, t'sall good!

I will say this, without my Yost miniature vise I would have gone battys by now. This vise was one of the best investments I've made for the model bunker in a long time. I was able to get a decent grip on this gun so I could get to those tight spots.

I recon any miniature vise will work, but I did do my research on vises and found that the Yost vise has the best design for my needs. It has already been upgraded to avoid the retaining washers from crimping and failing. Meaning, a common issue with these smaller vises is the retaining/tension ring/washer has a tendency to fail and you won't get your vise open. Now, that would not be any fun if I had this gun stuck in that vise, nuff said!

_DSC2603b-vi.jpg

_DSC2609b-vi.jpg

More to follow soon, if I ever get this gun sanded, HA! Cheers, Ski.

Back