• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

F4 Phantom II

moon puppy

Administrator
Staff member
Little pig*, little pig, let me in!

pig01_20100505_1695627126.jpg

pig02_20100505_1863362945.jpg

pig03_20100505_1014942353.jpg

Going straight out of box with kit decals, not sure which scheme yet.

* The F4 was affectionately known as PIG, at least that is what I was told, I never had the chance to work on one.

Re:F4 PhantomII

Oh remember Johnny, the F4 was one of the weapons system for the Wild Weasel SEAD missions. YGBSM.

Thanks, this will be my first Accurate Miniatures kit. The instructions are clear as a bell with paint call outs written out, not in code that you have to cross reference. The engineering of the kit, so far, looks very well done. gonna spray some paint around this evening and maybe glue some stuff.

Oh wow. I guess it's your turn this year to be the one to do a wingy thingy in the braille scale build. And this is a real nice kit for the scale. But unless I am mistaken, you are going to have to wait a while before you do your first Acurate Miniatures kit. Cause this is a Monogram kit in a nice new box :pinch:

But it will still build up into a great looking Phantom (y) .

Gary B)

you know I noticed that last night when I saw the monogram copywrite on the underside of the top wing. Instructions are still nice and really nice box. :mpup

what about the B25 Mitchel in the AM box?

moon puppy wrote:
what about the B25 Mitchel in the AM box?

I believe that the B-25 is an Acurate Miniatures mold. But it is soooo hard to keep track nowadays with all the reboxing that is happeinig.

But that F-4 is still one of the best kits in that scale. Even with the raised panel lines. I can hardly wait to see you start in on it ;) .

Gary B)

Sprayed light gull gray last night so I should be able to paint the pit this afternoon, not much else inside and I'm going with the top down all buttoned up. I can do this in the same time it has taken me to do a bank of cylinderheads on the Wildcat.

I think I'm going with the 63-7676 Special Bicentennial Paint Scheme, just because I haven't seen anyone do it.

NIMNSY! :mpup

This little pig is a really nice kit. I see why folks like working with the small scale, you can git'er done pretty quickly.

pig05_20100512_1586707201.jpg

pig04_20100512_1974081445.jpg

Cockpit was nicely detailed and I likely spend too much time on it because I can't see a thing inside now the canopy is in place.

Masking the canopy this evening and will likely prime it up for SEA camo.

enjoy that kit.

In 1/48th scale, all the kits except for the P-39/400 and Fw-190 series are AM originals. These two are repackaged Eduard kits since Eduard has done the same with a few AM kits (Il-2 and Yak-1 as examples).

From AM originals which I have and recommend; B25, SBD, TBM, Il-2, and Yak-1 (some shape issues near the top of the fuselage cross section which also affects the canopy).

Regards,

Saul the B25 is in the stash. It's the b/c model, Doolittle Raider version. Mostlikely will not build that scheme, there is an interesting story about a B25 being pulled out of the Lake here in my home town. Long story for later. The B25 kit LOOKS great and I'm looking forward to building it.

SBD sounds interesting also.

Slight surgery today, had to cut the windscreen off, some how it broke, fortunately they sent open canopy option so I'll just swap windscreens and hope no one notices.

Hiya Moon Puppy.

You have got a great start on your little Phantom. It's to bad you couldn't take some photos of the work you did on the interior before you closed it up. But that just means that we are that much closer to seeing the color go on the outside.

And just a little curious. Why did you have to cut the windscreen?

Gary B)

It was broke, don't know when or how. If you look at the second picture up there you'll just barely see the break, a chunk broke out of the front right section of the windscreen. I even found the broken part on the work bench, might have been able to drop it in place and let Future seal it up but since I had the spare i figured what the hey.

I didn't do a lot in the pit because I was going to seal it up. Can't see it anyway especially the IP. All I did was paint the dials flat black and did a dry brush over them and a little color here and there for switches. The instructions called for the seats to be painted green, and if memory serves that was the color of the seats on the Buff when I was in the service but I've always like to see these things red. Also painted the over head ejection handles. didn't spend a lot of time on that. Like you said, I want to get some exterior colors going.

I am definitely going with the Bicentennial scheme
http://origin-www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Air/McDonnell-F-4C-Phantom/1216858/M/

There's only some slight modifications needed to the IR Pod to make this correct for the C model, what's molded on the kit is the D model nose with the RWR, just a little sanding and scrubbin needed to correct that. Credit Cybermodeler for that tip

Totally under the gun here. Finally got SEA applied, some light washing and a Alclad lacquer sealcoat (clear primer really). Waiting for it to harden to apply decals, another wash or two, sealcoat and pictures.

No weapons at all, I'm lucky to get the tires on in time and really thought of going gear up to save time.

Here's the problem, we have thunderstorms rolling through ever thirty minutes or so, humidity is bad. I have the AC in the garage crankin' but it's slingin' water from the condenser so it's not really helping.

In short...

22161.jpg

Back