• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Dutch Cavalry Stuart M3A1 (Dutch East Indies)

Dar

Hi All
I've not been about much recently to keep up with everyone's builds, sorry people. I've been in a serious modelling rut for a while and have grown tired (for now) of photo etch, resin and scratch-building. I needed a quick and relatively easy 'out of the box' subject to put the fun back into the hobby.
Now I like to build something a little bit different, so this Stuart couldn't just be one of the more familiar US or British/Commonwealth versions. I finally settled upon a version for one of the Cavalry Regiments of the Royal Netherlands Army. The Dutch Stuarts were used during the 4 year long conflict for Indonesian Independence. If this build goes well, I plan to build a Nederlands Korps Mariniers (Dutch Marines) Sherman M4A3 105mm HVSS from the same conflict.
After finding some reference images I discovered that a small amount of converting/scratch-building would be needed after all, there are a few subtle differences between Academy's kit and the actual subject. The rear of the engine deck required reshaping and a storage bin also needed to be built. I also have to find a pair of British late style smoke launchers. The only concession to an aftermarket item was the addition of a decal sheet for this very subject produced by Black Lion Decals.
DSCF1910a.jpg

DSCF1907a.jpg

DSCF1906a.jpg

The Academy kit builds up quite quickly, so I hope to have another update very soon.

Dave.

Very neat. I'm looking forward to more. Wish I could give some thoughts on the rut, but I'm going through a protracted battle with it myself.
James

When I get in a rut like that, I just blast something out straight out
of the box and boom, I'm ready to go again.
Just me though?
Shawn

Hi Saul and James, thanks for your comments guys.
Shawn, that's exactly the effect I'm hoping for. After this I might be able to look at a p.e. fret again :)

Hi Alex, thank you.
I'm currently working on the hatches of the turret. The hinges on the real tank are in a different position than those depicted in the kit, new ones are being scratch built.
So much for a quick 'ootb' build :gogo

Hi Dave,

An interesting subject :) Forgive my ignorance, but what (if any) are the differences between a Dutch Cavalry Stuart and a, say, British vehicle?

Rudi

Hi Rudi, thanks for looking in.
The Dutch Cavalry Stuart would once have been a British Stuart.
The Post War Dutch Cavalry was mainly armed with British and Commonwealth equipment (primarily British and Indian Army). The Commonwealth Forces landed in the Dutch East Indies to accept the Japanese surrender, they also bore the brunt of the initial fighting against the Indonesian Nationalists who had by then declared independence from The Netherlands. Once the Dutch forces arrived in sufficient numbers the Commonwealth pulled out leaving much of their equipment behind.
I'll also be building a Dutch Marines Sherman. The Marines were solely equipped by the Americans, so there's a different range of vehicles to model.

Dave.

Hey Dave,

Thanks for the contextualisation :)

So, and I say this with much respect and without marginalising your magnificent work at all, you're pretty much building a British Pacific theatre Stuart in Dutch Cavalry colours? B) You adding any figures? Would the same equipment comments apply to Army and Marine personnel attire and personal equipment?

Rudi :)

Yep Rudi, a good old Brit Stuart :)
I've not made my mind up about figures yet, the plan was for a pretty quick build out of the box. If I make good progress I might add a crew but I'd prefer to crack on with the Sherman to be honest.
For personal attire and equipment it would be a similar situation, possibly for the Marines more so.
Dave.

A few parts have been 'donated' from an AFV Club Stuart M3A3, a few more parts will still need to scratch built.
DSCF1970b.jpg

DSCF2006b.jpg

DSCF2007b.jpg

Cheers chaps, thanks for the comments.
I'll be back to this one very soon, I'm just putting together a set of Dragon's
M4A3 HVSS suspension :eek:hmy: so many parts :S

Back