• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Dragon Stug III B ( ? Is it Finished ? )

Dragon Stug III B (no longer an OOB job)

That's good news Paul! Looking forward to it.

Tom

Hey everyone!

Finally am posting the finish ups on this build. My thanks to MP for scooting it sideways over to the German Steel build. Actually liked this ribbon better. :D

Anyway, the Sturmgeshutz is finished as it would be from the box. There are 3 items that I either scratch built, or modified. The gun barrel, the fire extinguisher, and the jack clamps.

The gun barrel was just not right so I made a new one from some acrylic rod. The fire extinguisher detail just didn't maatch up well with the photos I had found on the web so the detail (such as it was) was removed and redone. The jack, I had some ModellKasten detail parts that I made a mold and recast the little parts. (SEVERAL times till I got some without air bubbles) Of course I cast the horn as I wanted some copies to use elsewhere, but other than that no change.

This build also had a number of firsts for me. First armor I had done in over 20 years, first use of individual track links for tracks EVER. This was also the first time in over 20 years that I had placed decals.

OK, I see you going :blink "Hunh?!" I had (have :D ) a way to place decals over FLAT paint without precoating with gloss and without air bubbles or silvering. All 8 decals went on and did just as they did many years ago. :woohoo:

So on with the next installment:

StugIIIAusfB-016.jpg~original

StugIIIAusfB-017.jpg~original

StugIIIAusfB-018.jpg~original

StugIIIAusfB-019.jpg~original

StugIIIAusfB-020.jpg~original

Yeah the page number is wrong, D'oh! :facepalm
StugIIIAusfB-021.jpg~original

StugIIIAusfB-022.jpg~original

StugIIIAusfB-023.jpg~original

StugIIIAusfB-024.jpg~original

StugIIIAusfB-025.jpg~original

StugIIIAusfB-026.jpg~original

StugIIIAusfB-027.jpg~original

StugIIIAusfB-028.jpg~original

StugIIIAusfB-029.jpg~original

StugIIIAusfB-030.jpg~original

While eventually I want to make a nice base for this and maybe add some gear on the engine cover, to all extents it is finished as I had intended once the figure is done. As to the tank nothing more will be done to it for now except to add the figure.

Hope you like it. There are some things that I see in the photos that are not noticable when looking at the actual model. I know some of it has to do with lighting and how the camera sees the colors. I am still learning a lot of stuff and this build was very helpful.

Please let me know what you think. Thanks for looking!

:drinks

Outstanding! Post up a shot on the Completion thread and get your first Campaign ribbon Paul :drinks

Fantastic. Really like how it turned out. That track jig, is it home built or bought? Can you give us some details?
James

Fantastic. Really like how it turned out. That track jig, is it home built or bought? Can you give us some details?
James

Hey James!
Yeah that is my "Fixture". Made it out of some 3/16 thick aluminum plate. All the holes are tapped 8/32 thread. I thread some 8/32 stainless steel cap screws up from underneath to use for clamping things down. There are several dozen little blocks of various sizes, some are solid, some are slotted, some have an incline machined on them.

I use the knurled brass nuts to tighten and clamp things down on the screws that are threaded from underneath.

The original idea for this was to clamp warped parts on this plate so that they were straight and then immerse in hot water so that the warp disappears. That was the idea anyway, the first test the part I tried to de-warp went mega warp. :bang head :bang head

Since then I have used it to clamp and form styrene sheet to scratch build the first part I damaged, clmap the 3 prop blades in good alignment for a Fw 190 I was building, clamp and hold things in alignment while gluing or assembling. I expect it will be of some help with the Wing Nut Wings kits I have coming. :D

Bob this was the first thing I made with my milling machine once it was all set up. Had a lot of fun making aluminum chips and ended up with a real handy hobby tool in the process. (y)

If you are interested, I have some drawings of the various parts, and a fair bit already put together on ways the fixture has been used. I can post it in my Tool Time thread.

Enjoy!

:beer

If you are interested, I have some drawings of the various parts, and a fair bit already put together on ways the fixture has been used. I can post it in my Tool Time thread.

Enjoy!

I'd be careful with those drawings, that's something that could be marketed. :coolio

Thanks for looking in and all he nice comments everyone! It is very much appreciated. :blush:

Enjoy!

I'd be careful with those drawings, that's something that could be marketed. :coolio

LOL! I had thought of that too Bob, BUT the cost to make the plate and especially all the little specialty parts and clamps would be too high for it to really be feasable. Even with CNC the materials and tool time would tend to run it up. The real magic is in the little clamping bars, spacers and some other little things I made to do some special jobs. B)

Nicely done, I like the weathering. Might I suggest painting the interior surfaces of the hatches to match the exterior, that interior white would make a tempting target for aircraft. Reference pictures posted for discussion purposes.

IMG_0001~1.jpg

IMG~1.jpg

B) :drinks

OK Mike! Appreciate the info. Your photos show it quite well and it is very do-able since the figure isn't installed yet. (y)

Many Thanks!!

:drinks

Thanks for your kind comment Chuck! I am rather fond of Stugs myself. The first tank model I ever built was the Monogram 1/32 scale Stug IV with the side skirts many many years ago.

Back