• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Dragon Stug III B ( ? Is it Finished ? )

Dragon Stug III B (no longer an OOB job)

It's looking like I might make the deadline on this one. Got the Magic Track links all cleaned up the way I wanted them and painted. Have the first set on and the second set about halfway. Definitely looking like a Stug now. Will have some photos soon.

Got to thinking about this, an while there is a bit that could be done to get it up to snuff with the photos, 90% of that is all pile it on the back. I decided to just get the kit finished with the figure standing in the left side hatch. I can do that and get it done in time no problem. Then I can declare it done. :woohoo:

For me tofully finish it the way I eventually want it to finish up will require me doing some stuff I have not done before.

- Making a plaque type base with a little info spot and photo in the corner. Have the finished visualized in my head, but getting there the FIRST time will take a "LOT" of time.
- Addng the stowage to the back deck will also be a FIRST and thus will take more time than I have left to build it, so it will be relegated to the "After Build" section.

I know that once I have done this stuff at least once it won't take any time at all, first time around though it always takes me FOREVER to work my way through it and get it right.
:hmmm and some more :hmmm and then I go :hmmm finally there is :hmmm with some :soldier

So for today I am making a couple of rubber molds for casting some resin later on and will be cleaning and painting up the odd bits that go all over everything. Then the figure, which I have some experience in. ;)

No workie for the rest of the week. Doing the family T'giving thing and will be meeting Paul w tomorrow and then going to see a quite interesting reproduction/replica test aircraft. Will try to take some photos and post them after I get back.

As to the Stug, tracks are all mounted, fenders are mounted. Basic tank is all painted all the little accessory parts that mount on fenders are primed and need to be painted and mounted. Then decals, and the figure which shouldn't take much real work. Also picked up some of the Vallejo primers, thinner, and airbrush cleaner so those will be tested out on the figure. To be honest though I have been just using plain tap water and laying it on in light mists and using the air from the airbrush to dry the "wet" before adding more. Have not really had any problems so far. (y)

The tank is really looking good. As this is an erly Operation Barbarosa vehicle it has some weathering and a fair amount of dirt, but nothing real heavy. Still need to spray a bit of dirt "tint" on the tracks, but am "quite" happy with the look. :D

Unfortunately, photos will have to wait till next week. :(

It's looking like this puppy is going to get finished! :dance

Good news Paul, looking forward to you earning your first Campaign ribbon. :soldier

As far as finished is concerned, yeah it's up to you to tell us when you're done, within reason, that's just a general note, not specifically aimed at you Paul. If obvious parts are missing we gotta call the builder on it.

I need to start doing bases also, really think they add to the presentation of the build. (y)

Good news Paul, looking forward to you earning your first Campaign ribbon. :soldier

As far as finished is concerned, yeah it's up to you to tell us when you're done, within reason, that's just a general note, not specifically aimed at you Paul. If obvious parts are missing we gotta call the builder on it.

I need to start doing bases also, really think they add to the presentation of the build. (y)

Shouldn't be a problem then. All the parts it's supposed to have from the kit will be on it. Have a couple of rubber molds curing at home and will have to cut one open to get the master parts out. But that is next week. Till then just chillin. :frantic :D

Hey everyone, much as I hate to say it, this build is one hold for a while. I was well on my way to having it nicely finished with some time to spare. If I really wanted to I could easily hav it finished in time even at this late point. All I lack is to put the few tools that set on the fenders in place with just a little paint and the decals (the 8 or 10 little ones that this tank needs). It would be almost funny if it weren't so sad.

I did a lot of work on the jack the week after Thanksgiving, adding a bunch of little details to it that I copied off of the ModellKasten set I have. After my good buddt passed away suddenly on the 7th, my hobby has been zero, zip, nada. Have no desire to even go back to the room right now. Miss my buddy, was always underfoot back there. Now there is just a big empty space.

Until I have the energy to go back and do a major rearrange on the layout in that room, my build time is going to be elswhere doing something else.

I plan at some point to take a couple of photos of this build where it stands right now. To those not in the know it would actually look like it is finished. But we all know better. Maybe after the first of the year I will give it another looksee. For now it is just not happening.

get crackin dude, no time like the present to get things done. Ok now thats one sharp looking target.

get crackin dude, no time like the present to get things done. Ok now thats one sharp looking target.

Target!?

Haven't got a target, just feels real WRONG in the hobby room without my buddy underfoot. Don't date anymore, in fact my general opinion of women is not postable on the forum so nuff said there. :vmad

I'm just going to have to do the shuffle on the hobby room that had been in the back of my head for a while before I will be comfortable in there again. That coupled with having a bad cold bug last weekend and I have just been avoiding it.

Been reading soome good Sci-Fi books and that is about all the gumption I have had the last week.

I'm still thinking you should go down to the local shelter and find a new deserving buddy. :mpup

I'm still thinking you should go down to the local shelter and find a new deserving buddy. :mpup

Bob, even if I were inclined to get another pup, it is way way too soon. No matter how good, nice, whatever, it would not be "MY" buddy. Nothing would be a good fit right now. It takes time for the greiving to work through and that is what is going on.

It just takes time and the only healthy way through it is, to go through it.

Your Zen must have done something on the positive Bob. I actually had enough zip to get up and collect these photos this morning.

Here was my good buddy all curled up in his favorite cubby hole under my wachmaker bench. He always started out here but ended up sprawled across the floor and I would have to step over him.

MyStuporvisor.jpg~original

The week after Thanksgiving, I worked on some resin items for the Stug while my buddy was healing after some surgery. Here is a close up photo of the original and resin copy of the Bosch horn that was in the Dragon kit. As this horn was used in the Ju88 for a warning horn, I just had to make some copies to use in my Ju88 kits.

StugIIIAusfB-a.jpg~original

I also had a small ModellKasten set for detailing up a Stug III G. All small stuff, but what caught my interest was the clamps for the jack. I made a rubber mold of the main sprue and after fighting with getting the air bubbles out and getting the old resin to setup correctly, I had some parts. Here is how the jack turned out.

StugIIIAusfB-b.jpg~original

StugIIIAusfB-c.jpg~original

As to the Stug proper, here I have the muffelers mounted and mostly weathered.

StugIIIAusfB-d.jpg~original

Here is the tank with the few parts that still needed to be finsihed weathered and attached. Then just the Stug as it currently sets.

StugIIIAusfB-e.jpg~original

StugIIIAusfB-f.jpg~original

StugIIIAusfB-g.jpg~original

Here is the main reason I have been staying out of the hobby room. As quiet as the house is, seeing this empty spot is just more than I can take for very long.

Someoneismissing.jpg~original

It's a really difficult time, Paul- I know. Take all the time you need- only you can know how much that will be. So you're living away from home on assignment? That's gotta suck.

As for the Stug, really nice stuff! I wish Quickboost would release a set of Bosche Buzzers in various scales.

This too shall pass-
chuk

Thanks Chuck! I know it wasn't long ago that you went through much the same thing and your comment is much appreciated. :notworthy

Something that has been in the back of my mind for a while has been to do a total rearrange of the hobby room. Currently it is quite tight and cluttered with the following:

A 2 x 4 ft set of shelves
A2 x 5 ft oak workbench with the mill and watch lathe on it
A watchmaker bench
A jewelers bench
A 2 x 4 ft desk with my paint booth on it
A 2 1/2 x 4 ft desk with my paint rack
and another cheap desk then a smll TV stand 2 x 2

Don't really know how it all shoehorned in there, but it reaaly needs to be re arranged better. With that change it might feel better. Time to sit down and do some paper dolls to see if it can be better. :eek:hmy:

Been through worse, and this too will pass. Just a pain to be in it right now. :facepalm

Just think Paul, your new buddy is out there somewhere just waiting on you to show up, what a great Christmas present would it be for that puppy to have you pick them up..:mpup no pressure. :mpup :mpup :mpup :mpup :mpup :mpup :mpup :mpup

And I got plenty of :zen, I'm off till the 5th of January so have some spare :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen :drinks :zen :zen :zen :drinks :zen :zen :zen :drinks

:popcorn

Moved this to German Steel campaign as the Stug campaign has ended.

Thanks Bob! (actually like the German Steel ribbon better) (y)

This weekend I have been doing a total rearrange on the Hobby room. Already feels more comfortable in there though it is a bit of a disaster at the moment. Also doing some rework on the tables and adding in a new table. Took some pics of before and actually have layouts with "paper dolls of the tables and such to figure out how I wanted (and was able) to change it all up. Should have a bunch of it changed by tonight. Should go from a mega cluttered to something much less so I hope. :blink

Photos later I promise! :D

The heavyest part of the move, The mill and lathe bench has been done along with the 3 inch spacers raising it up added underneath (permanently). That beast being oak and having the 2 machines on it weighs in at about 200 pounds. I think the new spot will work much better than the old one.

I will also post the old and new layouts when the photos come around. Doing this is good for a reset on the soul. :stinker

Got the Stug model fully assembled this weekend. Thus the model is now fully built. I have a figure that I am adding that is partly together and should be finished in the next week or so. Have a lot of photos and several threads to update so will be working the posts this week.

(y)

Back