• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Dodge WC54

The biggest "oops" by Italeri is the missing external handles on the cab doors.

Here is a reference shot since the handles can be added last:
h153780f.JPG

Regards,

Really appreciate the positive responses, folks. Thank you very much.

Have to admit that there's a LOT of 'trial-and-error' in the pastel-work, pretty certain there's a lot more luck than skill involved with the results.

Hopefully can get some bench-time tomorrow morning to get it finished-up.... no promises, tho'

Ian

Decals are a mixture of kit and leftover Tamiya, all went-on without a struggle and settled-down very well on (another) coat of Klear/Future, then sealed-in wit yet another coat. On Tuesday I started the weathering with a simple 'dirty black' oil wash into all the recesses, then followed-up with an 'oil-dot' wash:

Then carefully blended the dots in with a brush slightly moist with thinner and a cotton-bud. Lighter yellow, white and buff at the top, darker olive green and raw umber at the bottom:

Next I started with pastels. MIG's 'Industrial dust first, then 'European dust' bothe applied quite heavily then scrubbed in using a stiff brush. I sealed them in with a coat of well-thinned Humbrol matt varnish, but most of the toning didn't 'come-back' after it dried, so I left it overnight and went back yesterday and re-applied just the 'European dust'. It means I have to limit handling it but the effect is what I was aiming for from the outset - not muddy, but dusty and tired.

So close to finishing now, just the 'ickle bits' to add and the masking to remove. I'll probably need to re-apply a little more pastel after that, but on the whole I'm quite pleased with what I've got so far.

Thanks for taking the time to look and/or comment. More soon.

Ian

Great job so far,Ian! (y)
Reading the text,it sounds that you are using PIGMENTS not pastels.
I have used pastels in the past but pigments are so much more superiour to them that I rarely use pastels anymore (but they sure do have their use).

Here is a little trick you can use next time when using Pigments:When using pigments on a Gloss Coat (or Future),use a Matt/Flat coat BEFORE using the Pigments.The pigment powders will have a much better coverage on a Matt/Flat coat then on a Gloss coat.
After having pigmented the model, use enamel thinner for semi-permanent fixation (so you still can remove the pigments with enamel thinners).Or if you are sure about the outcome of your pigment work,use a proper Pigment Fixer.
Keep up the good work,Ian.I like the way you are heading! :soldier

Greetings,Ron.

...And we're done. More photos in the 'Finished Builds' thread:

Thanks for all the really positive comments along the way, they really are appreciated. As ever any comments, criticism or questions are welcome.

Ian

Hello Ian,

Very impressed with your results from this multi piece body kit and then you backed that up with great paint and weathering (y) (y) (y)

Congrats !!

Randy

Back