• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

DML Pz.Sfl.IVb 10.5cm FH.18/1

Tony lee

Master at Arms

This machine never went into full production but made it's mark before being cancelled.

I read two different stories concerning it's service. The first said that two were sent to north Africa for battlefield testing where they were destroyed in a matter of two or three months, the other eight that were ordered were cancelled.

The second story said eight were sent to the eastern front for combat field testing and were destroyed or captured there.
The problems for not going into full production were #1- Extra weight cause them to be slow and couldn't escape danger when needed. #2- Limited gun traverse, commanders wanted something with a 360 gun traverse.

Either way they were in combat and did well even with their limitations.
Tony lee

But the Stug was so successful with no traverse, or very little. What role did this thing have?

Initially designed to be a bunker buster - with the rapid advance in France that wasn't necessary so it moved onto being designated as a tank destroyer.
Apparently the limited traverse, heavy weight and low armour - only 50mm sides and back - made it difficult to be approved as a weapon of choice.
Two ever existed, sent to Russia, details on the wiki page below ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10.5_cm_K_(gp.Sfl.)

Achtung Panzer reports:

"10 prototypes (0-Serie - chassis number 150631-150640) were completed by Krupp-Gruson from August to December of 1942 and were troop tested in Russia with 16th Panzer Division in 1942/43." :idonno

Wikipedia:

Only two were built and sent to the eastern front for field testing. :idonno

Tankpedia I think it was reported:

Two were sent to north Africa for field testing. One was destroyed soon after arriving and the other was destroyed a month or so afterward but not before knocking out three enemy tanks. The other eight that were ordered were cancelled.:idonno

It's of no interest to me how many were built. :idonno
I was just looking to see if it was in combat and qualified for this GB.

Tony lee :idonno :)

Confusing when you have a variety of sources telling you different things :blink

Well, I think that most importantly this machine existed, no matter how many, and it makes a good looking model :D

I read two different stories concerning it's service. The first said that two were sent to north Africa for battlefield testing where they were destroyed in a matter of two or three months, the other eight that were ordered were cancelled.

The second story said eight were sent to the eastern front for combat field testing and were destroyed or captured there.
The problems for not going into full production were #1- Extra weight cause them to be slow and couldn't escape danger when needed. #2- Limited gun traverse, commanders wanted something with a 360 gun traverse.

Either way they were in combat and did well even with their limitations.

Initially designed to be a bunker buster - with the rapid advance in France that wasn't necessary so it moved onto being designated as a tank destroyer.
Apparently the limited traverse, heavy weight and low armour - only 50mm sides and back - made it difficult to be approved as a weapon of choice.
Two ever existed, sent to Russia, details on the wiki page below ...

Achtung Panzer reports:

"10 prototypes (0-Serie - chassis number 150631-150640) were completed by Krupp-Gruson from August to December of 1942 and were troop tested in Russia with 16th Panzer Division in 1942/43." :idonno

Wikipedia:

Only two were built and sent to the eastern front for field testing. :idonno

Tankpedia I think it was reported:

Two were sent to north Africa for field testing. One was destroyed soon after arriving and the other was destroyed a month or so afterward but not before knocking out three enemy tanks. The other eight that were ordered were cancelled.:idonno

It's of no interest to me how many were built. :idonno
I was just looking to see if it was in combat and qualified for this GB.

Lots of stories and none based on primary documentation.
:facepalm

Combat during late 1942 in the Southern Sector of the Eastern Front (maybe even Stalingrad in November). No idea where the information about North Africa or it being called a tank destroyer came from.

As you may know, Tom Jentz wrote the books of the Panzer Tracts series based on primary documentation without regurgitating the inaccuracies published beforehand. From Panzer Tracts 10:

"A trial series of two Pz.Sfl.IVb (Fgst.Nr.Vl and V2) was ordered. Both of these Versuchswagen 1.F.H.18 (gp.Sfl.) were completed, test-fired and accepted by Wa Prüf in January 1942. A O-Serie of 10 Pz.Sfl.IVb was ordered by Wa Prüf in the Fa11 of1941. This O-Serie was produced at Krupp-Grusonwerk at the rate of one in August, three in September, four in October, one in November, and one in December 1942.

Troop trials of these self-propelled guns were to be conducted by a Feld-Versuchs-Batterie assigned to Artillerie-Regiment 16 of the 16.Panzer-Division, which was ordered to be combat ready by 20 September 1942.

On 13 December 1941, Krupp-Grusonwerk was awarded a contract to produce 200 Pz.Sfl.IVb3. This Pz.Sfl.IVb3 designed for mass production was to have a 320 horsepower Maybach HL 90 P20 185 hp engine and other improvements, including 360 degree traverse. Due to production capacity limitations at Grusonwerk, the assembly contract was transferred to Stahlindustrie in Muelheim-Ruhr by July 1942.

After it was proven that the le.F.H.18 could be successfully mounted on a modified Pz.Kpfw.11 chassis, on 25 July 1942 Hitler directed that the 200 planned Pz.III/IV chassis be quickly issued to mount 200 15 cm S.F.H. This did not work out and the Pz.Sfl.IVb3 production series, scheduled to start delivery in January 1943, was abruptly canceled in early November 1942.
"

Regards,

Go man, go! That kit has been on and off my shelf for several years, glad to see someone finally build one. (y) B)

Fit looks good and the interior detailing looks promising. Easy to dance to, I'd give it a 9. B)

Hey :Hiay

After posting the above photos I went back to the bench and assembled the suspension and the 105 before going to bed.

This morning the turret had my complete attention inside and out.

The gun breech will be installed after I paint the inside of the turret.

That's it for this week :dance
Tony lee

Back