• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

CTA ENTRY - RAZORDWS - Macchi 202

razordws

It is now just after midnight here on the West coast of NA. I will take my time dated starter photos later this evening.

boxart.jpg

Edit: Okay just took my open box photos and time stamp.

01Ma20232.jpg

02Ma20232.jpg

Dave to bad these don't come in 1/32 http://www.mikegrantdecals.com/SmokeRings.html

If you read further down they are available by special order but they are pricey and I just blew my modeling budget elsewhere ;) :D . I'm leaning towards the poached egg scheme anyway!

Oh Dave, that is quit a stretch for a 1/72 guy. I don't think you are going to have a problem with the smoke rings seriously :D :popcorn

Oh Dave, that is quit a stretch for a 1/72 guy. I don't think you are going to have a problem with the smoke rings seriously :D :popcorn

Still haven't decided what scheme to go with but I'd rather do smoke rings in this scale than 1/72! :gogo

Progress update, I've cleaned up and painted the interior bits. Pretty basic for this scale but my plan is to finish this one with landing gear up and hang it from the ceiling with my other 32 scale fighters. That and the pilot will pretty much block out the view of almost all of the cockpit. The pilot has some pretty nice detail so I will spend most of my effort on him after weathering the cockpit some. I do have a problem with that blob of plastic that appears to be the rudder petals though. It keeps the pilot from sitting properly on the seat so I think I will have to take the dremel to them.

03Ma20232.jpg

04Ma20232.jpg

Dave, I saw these in the catalog the other day and seeing your build reminded me about them:

http://www.squadron.com/SearchResults.asp?searching=Y&sort=3&search=macchi&show=18&page=2

Never heard of the company so I have no idea how good they are. They are at the bottom of the page. Good luck.

Those kidney shaped items are heel skid plates.

C202int008.jpg

This image from a Macchi C.200 shows the plate with the rudder bar above it:
c2009.jpg

Hope this helps,

Jeff, thanks for pointing those out. I am going to attempt to paint the smoke rings but if that fails those seem like a good fall back. Less than half the price of the mike grant decals in that scale.

Saul, great photo and thank you for pointing me in the right direction. The question still remains though of how to get the pilot to sit better in his seat. Perhaps if I remove the kit skid plates, scratch new ones that are lower down? I think I'll still have to modify the pilot in some way though. None of this will be seen when done so I don't want to go too crazy on it.

If I were doing the smoke ring paint I would do a reverse cammo, spray the green first then use rolled blu tac to form the rings.

When in place hit the whole area with white primer, then spray the yellow.

I did the same method on my TA 154 build.

For your pilot, depending how much you can see in the pit when all together, maybe slice off some plastic on the insides of the rudder peddles where his legs touch them,
03Ma20232A.jpg

his legs should hide the area.

HTH

If I were doing the smoke ring paint I would do a reverse cammo, spray the green first then use rolled blu tac to form the rings.

When in place hit the whole area with white primer, then spray the yellow.

I did the same method on my TA 154 build.

For your pilot, depending how much you can see in the pit when all together, maybe slice off some plastic on the insides of the rudder peddles where his legs touch them,
03Ma20232A.jpg

his legs should hide the area.

HTH

Either that, or cut a little behind the pilot's knees to straighten out his legs a bit. That might work.

This is looking great, I like it.

Thanks for all your comments and tips. Ended up just grinding the pads out as they will not be seen.

Got a snow day today so I am home from work and have some time to take some photos and post them.

All closed up now. Got a major gap under the chin to deal with but it's coming together.

IP is a combination of decals from the spares box and paint.
05Ma20232.jpg

06Ma20232.jpg

The kit is designed with working landing gear. I wanted them up permanently so that meant removing the hinge and filing in the gap.
07Ma20232.jpg

REALLY???
08Ma20232.jpg

Time to zoom around the room a couple of times :pilot
09Ma20232.jpg

10Ma20232.jpg

Back