• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

CTA Entry Phil Spirit of St Louis

The plane is looking great. As to your engine question. I don't know.

Terry

Thanks James and Terry, I have this answer,

to provide carb heat, to keep the venturis from freezing up and the heat is most likely scavanged from the pipe itself and no exhaust is dumped into the intake.

Beat me to it. Usually there is an outer chamber for the hot air to flow through heating the air coming into the carb. It usually can be controled by the pilot and a butterfly valve will close and dump the hot air out when not in use. Even on jet engines they will take bleed air and port it to an intake manifold to provide anti icing.
James

Thanks James, easy fix, I can reverse my mistake so the two pipes join together, no clue in the instructions of this either!

Phil I could not see this while at work and didn't get a chance last night. really great work here. You answered your own question about the carb heat.
IP is looking great. Just how many times have you watched the movie so far??

:popcorn

Phil I could not see this while at work and didn't get a chance last night. really great work here. You answered your own question about the carb heat.
IP is looking great. Just how many times have you watched the movie so far??

Thanks to Paul who supplied the answer, that pipe now joins nicely to the carb, all fixed tonight.

Just twice MP ! it does have a few great views for some help!

although the flight suit pants in the movie are a buff/yellow, instructions = blue!

ok fuse is together, added the missing ribs, used .020'' rod, will spray tomorrow, hoping they look ok!
then it's full steam ahead for the finish - might be a record for me!!!

ok last look before it's hidden

DSC_5901e_zps54ae67bc.jpg

DSC_5903e_zps34ff48d9.jpg

Closed up
DSC_5925e_zps290a62aa.jpg

DSC_5924e_zps9d43435b.jpg

DSC_5928e_zps2304e74a.jpg

The big one tonight!!
Main cowling decals
DSC_5921e1_zps405fabbd.jpg

DSC_5920e2_zps701f3aa3.jpg

For those who have this kit, they are a bit thick - but tough, had a slip with my toothpick applicator but it didn't rip the decal :v so resorted to the damp finger method, Future under the decal on the backing paper first, and some on the panel where these go.

Generally they went on well, great help is the cutouts that fit nicely where the engine goes.

They allow you to move them around a bit without damage, some places are tricky to get to sit down but as the Future got more tacky this caused no problem.

Care must be taken though!

I started with the underside one, then the top, lower sides, then the name decals - which gives you a feel how they go on
before applying the name decal.

Thanks guys!

Getting really close now, was hoping to be finished tonight but wanted to check the angle of the wheels before I glue them on, and I just blu tac'd the cowling on to make sure the prop still spins tomorrow morning, glue drying now on the prop retainer.

couple of piccys

DSC_5949A1.jpg

DSC_5952A1.jpg

next is the flight suit colour,
spirit-of-st-louis-stewart.jpg

100_6453.jpg

Lindburgh-1024x768.jpg

instructions call for blue pants, tan jacket with flat white furry collar..... :hmmm

Re: CTA Entry Phil Spirit of St Louis - Completed

Well here she is all done.

I used Tamiya A/S 12 rattlecan for the silver and Tamiya T/S 17 for the cowling, prop and spinner straight onto the plastic - no primer used, finished with Mr Hobby semi gloss top coat.

Hope you all enjoy my take on this famous aircraft.

:bang head I just worked out on this site - right click on pic and click view...... :blink

DSC_5955f1.jpg

DSC_5973f2.jpg

DSC_5970f1.jpg

DSC_6003fc1.jpg

DSC_6020fc1.jpg

DSC_5993f2.jpg

DSC_6000f1.jpg

DSC_6004f1.jpg

DSC_6007f1.jpg

DSC_6053f2.jpg

DSC_6015f2.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w55/xbgt3514speed/CTA%20-%20Spirit%20of%20St%20Louis/DSC_6035FF_2048.jpg

DSC_6037f1.jpg

DSC_6057f1.jpg

DSC_6056f1-1.jpg

DSC_6059f3.jpg

DSC_6062f3.jpg

DSC_6063f3.jpg

DSC_6018fL1.jpg

Back