• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

CTA Entry Phil Spirit of St Louis

Phil

DSC_5749timestamp.jpg

DSC_5337b.jpg

And here we go!!!! :drinks

Congratulations Phil, you're the first start.

Folks please note the title of Phil's thread. As noted earlier today. All entries should be titled with CTA Entry (Username) (Subject) and no need to update it as you progress. This will help us tallying up entries. Thanks.

Always wanted to do this bird Phil, looking forward to your take. :popcorn

Thanks all!

Ryan, will be using the kit decals as I have no idea how to simulate that look

DSC_5751dec.jpg

Hopefully I can do it justice!

Good choice Phil !!!

Got one of these in the stash also , looking forward to see your build on this ! (y)

regards
JOEY

Thanks all!

Ryan, will be using the kit decals as I have no idea how to simulate that look

DSC_5751dec.jpg

Hopefully I can do it justice!

Cool nice they made them as decals. I'd have no clue as to how to get that effect with paint. I am sure you will do just fine Phil.

Here are most the parts cut and cleaned, there are quite a few join lines that need to be tidied up before anything else.
DSC_5835a.jpg

I found that one of the exhaust pipes were broken, unfortunately it was not in the sealed bag
DSC_5757x1.jpg

So used a small piece of .025'' plastic rod and then carefully drilled all the ends out.

Note the pointed spinner.
DSC_5837a.jpg

While doing some searching on the Spirit I found some info

here is the Spirit being wheeled out for the first time, note the rounded spinner.
spirit_firstflight.jpg

A perfect photo showing the spinner.
Spirit_round.jpg

Revell gives a pointed spinner in the kit, and shows it having the engine-turned (damascene) as the rest of the metal cowling.

The original, round–ended spinner did have this, but that spinner cracked on the ferry flight via St. Louis and was replaced with a pointed spinner fabricated in New York.

The new spinner is clean, without the 'swirlies'

Now, I haven't seen this page before, but believe this to be the original Spirit ( please correct me if wrong, and direct me to the real one)
which shows the pointed clean spinner

http://airandspace.si.edu/collections/artifact.cfm?id=A19280021000

Spirit_real.jpg

spirit-of-st-louis2.jpg

Another reason to think this is the real Spirit is the yellowed cowling is a result of lacquer aging that was sprayed onto it to protect the goodwill flags.

This little aircraft is awe inspiring, in reality I will never have the chance to actually see it in the flesh, and would like to know if this one via the above webpage is the real deal.

I take it there are many replica's on display in museums around the States?

Any help greatly appreciated.

This is from the Smithsonian collection at the Air and Space Museum in Washington, D.C. This is the real item donated by Charles Lindbergh.
http://airandspace.si.edu/exhibitions/gal100/stlouis.html

Regards,

Dang, missed Pauls post.

Paul the first image you posted is the real Spirit in the National Air and Space Museum in Washington DC. The second is not, not sure which one that is but the roof over the Spirit in NASM is glass. Their are several replicas out there, couple of them are actual Ryan aircraft.

Thanks MP & Saul, now I know for sure which one is the real aircraft, and she has the pointed bare spinner.

MP - Edit!! it's Phil!!!! not Paul!!! :D

Now if one of you kind souls have this kit - 5244, could you check if part #45 is on one of the sprues, step 3 - compass

Some progress a last!
Since deciding to use a rattlecan (Tamiya A/S 12) for the silver finish I decided to spray all the parts before construction
giving me a bit more control with the paint on certain areas of this kit.
I intend to add the top and bottom fuse ribs so I can easily respray these once the fuse is together.
DSC_5886a1.jpg

I used Tamiya T/S 17 for the rear cowling as it is a very smooth hi gloss specifically for the cowling decals later on.
DSC_5857aa1.jpg

DSC_5843aa1.jpg

front cowling spinner bak and prop just dry fitted to the completed engine.

The pushrod part is very breakable - much caution is required here cutting from the sprue.
Also the pushrods are way to thick and not really round, reducing the size of these results in breaking them very easily.

One option would be to cut them all off and add some proper round plastic rod, I almost went this way
but persevered with them and got them looking respectable - after much cursing!
DSC_5842a1.jpg

dry fitted to the rear cowling.
I intend to add hoses to the fuel line tank lines under the IP using stripped computer wire shields, also adding the fine wire
from these for various control cables.
DSC_5862aa1.jpg

DSC_5881a1.jpg

Have added some of the fine wire to the levers and used .020'' rod to simulate the rudder cables
DSC_5884a1.jpg

The one big omission on this kit is the lack of the side periscope which is a shame.

Ok engine buffs, can you tell me the reason why one of the exhaust pipes blows into the carburettor on this engine.
(as I found tonight after dry fitting the carb and engine......)
on the kit there is a pipe on the carb that goes straight into that ( as I thought broken/missing) exhaust pipe on the
engine.

Spirit_engine.jpg

BottomofSpiriteng.jpg

When I dry fitted the IP to the bracket in the pit on this kit, the IP seemed to protrude very far forward into the pit, if this was the case on the real aircraft I have doubts that Lindy would of actually been able to get in the door!

found this pic

note the position in relation to the ''L'' shape of the port window
SpiritofStLouisCockpit.jpg

which shows the IP set much more into the pit fueltank.

So I ground down the mounting brackets and the rather large IP mounting block to get this result, dry fitted as per kit, the IP covered a good 1/3rd of the door entry space
DSC_5899xd.jpg

DSC_5895xd.jpg

added two hinges to the door
DSC_5898xd.jpg

and a final look at the parts before this is all buttoned up, the seat was called to be painted all aluminium, in all the pics and even the classic movie it showed a wicker seat
DSC_5889xd.jpg

now I have to wait until tomorrow to close this up as I forgot to Future the windows ( drying now!!)before I started this kit :bang head

Back