• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

CTA Entry Duke Maddog Mil Mi-26 Halo

This week has seen some real slow progress for me. In addition to improving my German armored train and progressing on the Russian Drasine, I managed to make good progress on my Mi-26 Halo.

First thing I did was to paint the interior a dark "africa brown" as the instructions stated. Then I drybrushed it with successive layers of a lighter brown then a tan. Here is the interior of the two main fuselage parts:

WIP_CTA_VI.JPG

The underside of the engine deck is also the ceiling for the interior, and it has several lights on it. I got these painted before installing this inside one of the fuselage halves:

WIP_CTA_VII.JPG

Here is a shot of the fuselage with all the parts installed in it and ready to be closed up:

WIP_CTA_VIII.JPG

It's amazing how many of these parts had to fit inside this thing. Not only that, but there are about five other additional fuselage parts that go on this after the fuselage had been closed up! Here it is all closed up and drying:

WIP_CTA_IX.JPG

You can see how big this monster is by the Exacto blade sitting next to it. My next step is to smooth out the seams and add some Mr. Surfacer 500 to places that need it. Then we'll be able to proceed further.

That's all I was able to get done this week. Feel free to check out my armor progress on two of my rail subjects in the Armoured Fury Forum. Meanwhile, this program has been re-broadcast on the Wesendorf Field Thread. Comments are welcome people, thanks for looking in.

Not much to show on my Monster MiL, the Mi-26 Halo. I have the whole thing fully assembled now except for engine exhaust shrouds. Once they are on, she'll be ready for paint:

WIP_CTA_X.JPG

I had also gotten the main rotor hub assembled, as well as painting one of the three colors on the main rotors. Maybe soon I'll have more done to show.

Meanwhile, thanks for looking in, comments are welcome!

Hey Mark, looking good. Just a note, the "size" tag does not work on our forum so when you post up an image go ahead and remove it. Saves us some work.

Very cool. I just saw an article where a guy is making one of these and 3d printing it in 1/35. If he sells them I might give it a go. Like where yours is going (y) (y) (y)
James

Thanks Saul! It is building much better than I expected. Well worth adding to the Air Force.

Thanks for the heads up on the size tags MP. I may still keep using them, because if I leave the pics big; the "Edit" and "Quote" buttons disappear off the side of the post and I have no way to access them once the post is made. Interesting that it doesn't work for you; it sure shrinks my pics down on my monitor.

Wow, 3-D printing into 1/35th? Man that's just nuts! This thing will be Freakin' Huge at that scale!

Hopefully, I'll get some paint done on this today.

Hey all! I got some more progress on my Mi-26 Halo. It took awhile and bored me stiff, but I got the main and tail rotors painted the way the instructions said to do it. Now I'm ready to assemble these massive rotors. This is going to be interesting to say the least....

WIP_CTA_XI.JPG

While they were drying I painted the lower fuselage of the helicopter with the light blue. Then I went back and touched up the rotors while the belly paint was drying. Once it was dry, I masked off and painted the upper fuselage with the base color. Now all she needs is the camo pattern and she'll be ready for clearcoat and decals:

WIP_CTA_XII.JPG

I'm beginning to see a light at the end of the tunnel with this one. I just hope it is not a train....

Thanks all for looking in, comments are greatly appreciated.

Yes it is indeed Eric! I'm afraid of assembling the rotor blades because of that. The rotor span is massive compared to my other helicopters.

This chopper would look great with some LED's lighting up the cargo bay and the cockpit!

I totally agree, however I haven't the skills to do such a thing...yet. Besides, I should have had them installed some time back but didn't think about it.

Thanks for the great comments guys! Stay tuned for more!

Okay, it's a new year and time to show the latest progress I've been making on the Mi-26 Halo helicopter for this Campaign. This has been getting scary but man, is this looking impressive!

First of all, I finally started to assemble the main rotors. I got them all done now; all I need to do is add the top cap above the main hub. This is showing the rotors sitting on the Airfix Valiant box that is covered with a towel. It was the largest flat surface I could find to hold this thing!

WIP_CTA_XIIIa.JPG

Next I assembled the tail rotor which was a little model in itself! Here it is sitting next to the main rotor:

WIP_CTA_XIIIb.JPG

Now to put this into perspective. Here are the two rotors next to a 1/72 scale VW Volkswagen. See what I mean about scary?

WIP_CTA_XIIIc.JPG

Again, since I was painting; I added the camouflage pattern to this monster helo and set it aside to dry while working on other projects. It looks pretty impressive if I do say so myself:

WIP_CTA_XIV.JPG

Finally, for fun, I test-fit the rotors on this big bird to see how it will look. Wow!

WIP_CTA_XV.JPG

Well, that's all the progress I have to show for this new year so far. I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel for most of these models so far; I hope I can get them done soon.

Thanks all for looking in, comments are always welcome!

Yes, you can see quite a bit of it inside. That's why I'm leaving the back clamshell doors open. I hope to have decals on this today.

I didn't get to work on this as much as I'd have liked to, but I finally got the decals on the whole fuselage. The only decals left to add to this are two stencils on the rear clam-shell doors and the decals for the main rotors. Then I'll be able to dullcoat this and finish it up:

WIP_CTA_XVIa.JPG

WIP_CTA_XVIb.JPG

Well there it is; all my latest work done from Friday until today. It ain't too much but I finally feel like I'm getting close to finishing this model. I can't wait!

Very impressive work, it looks great!

And here's the 1/35 model that was discussed earlier. The guy doing it is a member over on Aircraft Resource Center. I've been watching it since he started, and its just insane.

mi-6zzzzf.jpg

Here's a link to one of the posts in his progress thread w/ more pictures.

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=232787&view=findpost&p=2447155

Thanks guys! I can't wait to get this done.

Wow Adam! That thing is massive, just like I expected! Thanks for the link. Good thing I'm not posting my progress on mine over there; it would get lost in the shadow of that monster! :silly: :silly:

Back