• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

CTA Entry - Dewertus - Spitfire Mk.IX >>DONE<<

Re: CTA Entry - Dewertus - Spitfire Mk.IX

Next step done...

DSCF3746.JPG

DSCF3747.JPG

DSCF3749.JPG

Re: CTA Entry - Dewertus - Spitfire Mk.IX

The twin colour bottom reminds me of the early war black and white Spitfires. Lookin good.

matt

Fortunately, I was able to finish the model on time. :woohoo:

I'm not entirely satisfied with obtained effect, especially with regard to the quality of the scratches. But with the general soiling, guns and exhaust sooty I am happy.

Wash i made using MIG's Dark enamel wash mixture, exhaust sooty i made using Vandyke Brown and Payne's Gray van Gogh oils mix applied soft brush, guns sooty it's a Payne's Gray oil applied soft brush. Soiling it's a mix of MIG's Dark and Neutral enamel wash applied rough brush. Scratches i made using Humbrol no.11 enamel and very tenuous brush.

The model shows the Spitfire Mk.IXC "QP-N" piloted by Lt. Fred Ohr. 2nd FS, 52nd FG, 12th AF, USAAF; Malta / Sicily, June / August 1943.

Probably the only World War II flying ace of Asian descent, Fred F. Ohr overcame widespread distrust of Asian Americans in the United States military to become a fighter squadron commander and a fighter ace with six victories in the Mediterranean Theatre. Ohr claimed his first victory as a fighter pilot, flying Spitfires over North Africa in 1943. While in Africa, he joined the famed 2nd Fighter Squadron, called the “American Beagles” and began flying a P-51 Mustang with the 52nd Fighter Group. When the African campaign ended, Ohr found himself transferred to Italy, flying cover for bombers attacking Italian and Eastern European targets. By the end of his tour in December of 1944, Ohr had flown 155 (some sources says about 241) missions and shot down a total of six German planes in aerial combat, in addition to destroying 17 planes on the ground. Among the decorations Ohr received are the Silver Star with two Oak Leaf Clusters, the Distinguished Flying Cross with two Oak Leaf Clusters, the Bronze Star, and the Air Medal with 18 Oak Leaf Clusters.

DSCF3815.JPG

DSCF3816.JPG

DSCF3817.JPG

DSCF3818.JPG

DSCF3819.JPG

DSCF3804.JPG

DSCF3805.JPG

DSCF3807.JPG

DSCF3809.JPG

DSCF3810.JPG

DSCF3811.JPG

DSCF3812.JPG

DSCF3814.JPG

Really nice finish Hubert, I like the idea of using the washes for stains. (y)

Great info on Maj Ohr, never heard of him before, got something new to read about (y)

Very nice Hubert . Interesting bit of history as well . (y)

I am surprised at the two tone belly. I was not aware they used this in this theater of operation .

Cheers, Christian B)

Excellent Hubert!

Please note that, on his signed biography print, his name is listed as Fred R. Ohr:

Fred%20Ohr.jpg

I do not know which is right. The 'R' in the signature looks like the 'F' in Fred.

Regards,

Hubert that Spit is really stunning. I remember a couple of years ago when you first started with the air brush. My how time flies by. You are really accomplished.

Excellent Spitfire Hubert. Still one of the best looking aircraft of all time. Yours included.

matt

Back