• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

CATERPILLAR D7 "ALL DONE"

CATERPILLAR D7

Wow! most impressive! Did you fire it up yet? Something that detailed and well built HAS to run!

CATERPILLAR D7

Nice work on that engine. I don't know what era you are modeling the tractor for, but I'm skeptical of a wartime D-7M having electric start on the starting engine. At one time I owned two D-7M's.

CATERPILLAR D7

Nice work on that engine. I don't know what era you are modeling the tractor for, but I'm skeptical of a wartime D-7M having electric start on the starting engine. At one time I owned two D-7M's.

Well I don't presume to be a bulldozer expert and don't know one from another. The engine does look like most pictures I have uncovered. The box art shows this machine in civilian use, but I suppose it could be surplus. I intend to make it for civilian use, but thanks for the detailed advise.

B)

CATERPILLAR D7

Well I don't presume to be a bulldozer expert and don't know one from another. The engine does look like most pictures I have uncovered. The box art shows this machine in civilian use, but I suppose it could be surplus. I intend to make it for civilian use, but thanks for the detailed advise.

B)

The engine is very accurate, that I can assure you. The D-8 engine was made of many of the same components including the starting engine. It just had two more cylinders, and the cylinder heads were 3 cylinder blocks instead of two cylinders per head in the D-7. Caterpiller used the same basic engine up until the D-7F when they went to a high rpm 6 cylinder engine. The D-7E had a turbocharger on the 4 cylinder engine but otherwise looked the same as the earlier D-7 engine. Different governor and I recall it ran at a little higher rpm than the earlier engines. I've run the D-7E dozer and it was a nice tractor.

CATERPILLAR D7

Here is a picture of the engine in question.

h6a178a6.jpg

Maybe they used the wrong one for this kit.

:idonno

CATERPILLAR D7

Good catch John, I don't think the one I'm working on has electric starter on it either. Presuming you're looking at the cylinder thing above the pony motor?

3-16-2006-15.jpg

The oft cited Korean dozer my Father was so interested in. That's him standing next to it.

So how did they start the pony motor without electric start?

CATERPILLAR D7

Well since I'm not building the military version.......sooooo I'll call it an updated version.

:laugh:

CATERPILLAR D7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-cBungm3uc

Not sure if you've seen this Terry, I have not. I haven't watched it all the way through but it looks like this one does not have electric start, I'll let John make that call.

edit: yeap, crank start. :ro:

CATERPILLAR D7

Moving on. Added the frame and did some more painting.

D716.jpg

D717.jpg

D718.jpg

D719.jpg

D720.jpg

B)

CATERPILLAR D7

Very nice! Is that factory rust or a field modification (tongue firmly in cheek)?

(y)

CATERPILLAR D7

Good catch John, I don't think the one I'm working on has electric starter on it either. Presuming you're looking at the cylinder thing above the pony motor?

3-16-2006-15.jpg

The oft cited Korean dozer my Father was so interested in. That's him standing next to it.

So how did they start the pony motor without electric start?

You used a hand crank, Bob. That shaft sticking up through the hood on the left is where the handle fit. Those suckers had a real kick, you soon learned never to wrap your thumb around the handle. On some tractors the shaft went straight forward and through a hole in the lower radiator tank. The early D-8's were the same. Yes, no electric starter on that one. You can't see the starter crank shaft in your photo, but it is there on the model picture, braced to the radiator.

Back