• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Campaign Schedule(UPDATED)

Amen to no new campaigns for a while, if you can't find something to build for the campaigns in progress maybe you should take up knitting !

On another note the chart shows "keep on trucking" ending in March but the header for the campaign has no end date. Was this extended ? Only one completion but almost no activity on most of the other entries. If Ed finishes his he won't have any way to share :( Just asking, I have no issue with it remaining open.

A L A R M.. A L A R M..

...and here we are at the end of May (actually a few days in to June), once again with no Campaigns closing and none starting: Get to work guys, the end-dates will sneak-up on you as soon as eggs are young chickens :silly:

Ian.

Just a reminder we will not be having new campaigns till after our migration to the new system this summer. But that doesn't mean we can't figure out what we're going to do post migration.

A L A R M.. A L A R M..

June is at an end, but once again the campaigns roll on. Nothing to see here folks, nothing to see, please move on and remember to tune-in next month. Good to see that there's folks beginning to re-stock the Campaign ideas bank.

Ian.

A L A R M.. A L A R M..

Ladeez & Gentlemen we are hurtling to the end of August and it's now time to put away your JUNK and finish-up your popcorn because the MOVIES are over - That's a terrible image isn't it :sick: , but we'll keep it until Bob tells me I have to take-it-down :coolio

That's it folks, no new campaigns until the new site is up and running, so make the most of your time at the bench and please, please keep the suggestions coming for new Campaigns for the year(s) ahead.

AFN

Ian.
[/quote]

Thanks Ian, sorry i haven't had time to work the new site up yet. Work schedule has been very heavy.

So the big question on everyone's mind is when is it going to happen? The migrate that is.

My Junk became more junk when I discovered Trumpeter doodied the cockpit. Never got aroud to pulling it back off of the shelf of $h!+.

Hey, I'm patient. I have plenty to work on before the move. Besides, by the time the move happens, I'll probably have achieved my goal and gotten the photographic proof; which might just be the first post I make on the new site.

Bob, don't worry. Work is more important; after all it pays the bills. I know you'll get to it when things settle down.

My thoughts on campaigns
firstly....well why a campaign ?
I think a campaign should be a pretty narrow subject, it should push a builder into a genre he might not otherwise attempt. Something like "Marine corp aircraft 1958-62","light tank in service during the 1970's" or "biplanes in service 1940" you get the idea. You need to do a little research and find what might be a rare kit or an old kit..
I cant really get excited about subjects so wide like "in her Majesty service" which is basically build what ever you want.
Its also nice after a campaign to compare builds for "spirit" of the campaign and a row of assorted biplanes from 1940 is much easier to judge than an F18 next to a Shackleton :laugh:
This is not a criticism, its just a personal opinion and why i dont bother to enter campaigns but chances are whatever i am building at any time will fit into a campaign somewhere anyway. ;)

I think wide open campaigns were the result of attempting to get the needed support to launch and I feel that sort of thinking needs to be reined in. If a narrower topic doesn't draw enough support then build it in the Wesendorf Field forum. I think the mods are pretty much in agreement that the number of campaigns needs to be whittled down, right now we have so many that with our limited number of regular builders that only a few of the campaigns see much activity.

I think wide open campaigns were the result of attempting to get the needed support to launch and I feel that sort of thinking needs to be reined in. If a narrower topic doesn't draw enough support then build it in the Wesendorf Field forum. I think the mods are pretty much in agreement that the number of campaigns needs to be whittled down, right now we have so many that with our limited number of regular builders that only a few of the campaigns see much activity.

Good to hear that the wingnuts are cutting back. That will give campaign opportunities to the "lessor" modeling areas.

Thanks

;)

I basically agree with Paddy. The subject should be such that it draws someone to try something new. The problem we are having at this point is that while there are 939 users listed, only about 40 ever post or get involved. I see new folks listed, but very few seem to get involved. Maybe we just have a bunch of watchers. :popcorn

As to campaigns, there are only about 30 to 40 people seem to be posting regularly. Makes it harder to make the quota for a campaign. My local club decided to do a group build of the new Revell 1/144 Flower class corvette. (I had no desire to mess with that one, I'm building the Arizona :bang head )

There is a reference to Wesendorf Field. Unfortunately he was before I came and I did not have the opportunity to get to know him. Maybe there should be a commemorative ribbon available anytime for building whatever his fav model type was. We also now have Hippy Ed that recently passed and it would be nice to have something for him as well. He did like to swing th bat a bit, so maybe a newer better bat guy. :bat :bat

What I would suggest is this; Make a suggestion and see if there is some interest. If there is some interest, you, the suggestor needs to come up with a ribbon. Either do one yourself or get someone to do one for you. So we have a first rule, no ribbon, no campaign. No more campaigns starting without ribbons to earn. We have several right now that need ribbons and they should have had the ribbons before starting. The other thing is that if you suggest a campaign you better earn a ribbon for it. :bat

I have also been aware of some of the Excellence badges and modeller of th month badges. Everyone that has one is "Cream of the Crop" as far as I am concerned and well deserved. However, there have not been any new awards in a long time. I don't even know how they come about. :idonno

Anyway, the site reboot should be a good time to set some new ground rules. With as few active members as we currently have, we could maybe set some special generic ribbons up as well. For example a photo ribbon for a diorama build that matches exactly to an actual photograph. Or, a resin builders ribbon that can be earned for building a kit made out of resin, a Vac builders ribbon for building a Vac-U-Form kit. I am sure there are a couple of other items along that line of thinking that could be done. The ribbons could be special and would be awarded. The builds could be done anytime and take as long or as short a time as the builder wanted. :hmmm

Just doing a little thinking out loud here. Comments anyone?

I personaly like it more that campaigns are wider. If its narower I would have to specialy go and buy a model but as it is now I can usualy masage something out of my limited stash to fit in and I enjoy building something with other people more than just doing a model It gives me at least something to focus on

Now :beer

Yeah- I'm with Dave. In deciding to break out of my norm when I saw the Main Battle Tank build, I started looking up stuff and then decided to look up what tanks were part of Bosnias repertoire...which led me to the AMX-30B and a build I thoroughly enjoyed and lit a new interest in MBTs for me (although they're bloody expensive). This whole process would not have happened if it was just an "Israeli tanks of the 6 day war" build.

Me proposing a Midway build for next year in honor of the 75th anniversary- if I just ask for aircraft, then those interested in ships or the meager amount of land vehicles involved wouldn't participate which defies the whole reason of the campaign- to build something to honor the battle.

That was the point behind the Perl Harbor build. There was enough involved that I gave a possibiliy of 3 ribbons which seemed to work well. Unfortunately the 1/200 scale Arizona is more a RC toy that can be built than a true scale model. As slow as I tend to build it will be the 77th Anniv before it gets done. (but it should be awesome)

Have a nice aircraft all ready for Midway. 1/32 and OOB but something different AND flown at Midway. :D

Remember, you need to get your ribbon(s) done to have the campaign post. (Gotta start someplace eh!?)

There are some current campaigns running with no ribbons-- I don't really know how to make them otherwise I would. The Pearl Harbor one was great- I just didn't haven't anything that fit the bill....

You have lost me now ? why do you need a campaign to build what you want ?
The reason this forum has a limited active membership is probably because it doesnt present challenges to builders. There are so many campagnes running that everything is covered all the time so the campaigns are the same as just building what you want in the normal categories like aircraft, armour or ships.
Challenging campagnes attract builders from other forums like the charity build here a few years ago, i remember joining another forum because they were doing a WnW build campaign some time ago. I joined another years ago because they were doing a P47 build.
Given that everyone can build what they want when they want anyway a campaign has to offer something different and i think it should be exclusive ie: one campaign at a time.

LOL you are right Paddy! Shouldn't need a campaign to build what you want. With me sometimes the campaign kind of kick me to build something I probably wouldn't otherwise. My T-90 build is kind of the result of that. Complex and kind of a challenge the Meng T-90 at least has not been one of those kits that made me wish I had not wasted the money on it. It has been a decent kit and a challenge to build but not one that I felt that everything needed to be redone and fixed.

The campaigns without ribbons is partly why I brought up the ribbon thing. Moon Pup asked me last week if I could do some ribbons up for some. I just have not spent any time on the 'puter to make some. Been busy building and tearing down an antique jewelry vac table for doing some resin casting. A little clean up and restore on that and some tank building has been the bit but I will probably spend a fair amount of time this weekend on the 'puter as I have a bunch of photo updates all over the place to do.

I think part of what can draw folks to try in a group build is the ribbon. I wanted to get the Messerschmitt and Junkers ribbons, but my choice for the Messerschmitt build was horrible. (should have done the 1/32 Eduard Me 109 E3 kit I have) Probably won't mess with any more Italiari kits after the 2 shelf queens I have started. The Ju87A just hit a snag at a point where I was not willing to deal with it. I will probably hit on it again after I finish a couple of kits.

Back