• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Build #1 - F-8J Crusader 'On deck'

Build #1 - F-8J Crusader

Layer-by-layer, building-up the weathering. I appreciate that it may look overdone just now, but keep in mind that the process is about two-thirds complete and will be less 'in-your-face' once decals and varnishes have been applied:

hb9a9558.jpg

haa0e390.jpg

hee8fa7d.jpg

hdb454b4.JPG

hd6a65dc.jpg

h04a73a4.JPG

h8e32531.jpg

he05f766.JPG

Undersides in the next batch, hang-on a min'...

Ian.

Build #1 - F-8J Crusader

Lots of leaks and staining here...

h483b92a.JPG

h3c1bd1f.JPG

ha245182.JPG

h058ab65.jpg

As I say, I'm sure some folks here may be tempted to throw their hands up in horror, but the effects will recede as I add another layer or two...

...trust me :gogo - but in the meantime feel free to make any comments or criticisms. See y'all next week.

Ian.

Build #1 - F-8J Crusader

Looks good Ian! (y) These birds were used & abused. Especially during combat... :drinks

Build #1 - F-8J Crusader

Awaiting further progress :coolio Don't care what the judges think.

Most have never touched the real thing anyway :smack

Airplanes that fly do get dirty :good:

Cheers, Christian B)

Build #1 - F-8J Crusader

I think it looks fantastic! I would love to know just how you got such fine lines without making a major mess in the process. I would love to highlight my panel lines that way, but have yet to do a decent job on it.

Build #1 - F-8J Crusader

Mark it's all about practice; I appreciate that sounds trite, however it's the best answer I got.

Buy good tools, good paint, read all the tutorials and watch the You Tube 'how to' clips and then practice, practice, practice (on that old junker you were about to throw away). Thats how I learned back in the day and how I keep sharp now.

HTH.

Ian.

Build #1 - F-8J Crusader

Cool. Thanks. I do keep practicing but I'm guessing I haven't got a steady enough hand. I do want to get an airbrush with a much finer tip. I do need one of those. Gotta save my pennies. Maybe I'll be able to get one for my birthday, or Christmas since hat is much farther away.

Build #1 - F-8J Crusader

Good Morning folks:
So finally got back to working on this one, and the decals are going on.

Only got around 45mins yesterday so just got the checkers on both sides of the rudder and ventral fins. The stars'n bars over the refuelling probe bulge snuggled down very nicely because the Aeromaster decals are measured for this kit, so the obvious potential fit issue, simply didn't happen.

Stay tuned, more will happen this week.

Ian.

Build #1 - F-8J Crusader

Main decals on:

Next I'm putting all the stencils on courtesy of an old Superscale sheet (48-283) that I've had in the stash since 1991 !!

Stay tuned, folks.

Ian.

Build #1 - F-8J Crusader

That should keep you out of trouble for awhile. :blink

Looking good. (y)

Cheers,
Rich

Back