• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Blackburn Skua

Yes you would! It's brown, wide, flows the wrong way, and smells like Mummies on one side, and Exodus on the other!!

To illustrate this a bit better,I have to cite the Airfix magazine which had the article on the HE 111 P-2 being rebuilt in Sweden as well as the story of both the aircrews with some period pictures and some recent pictures of these guys reunited.

Skua_001a.jpg

A nice little story which has inspired me to build both the HE 111 and the Skua.

Skua_005a.jpg

The kit :

Skua_002a.jpg

The parts are good and crisply molded . The panel lines are very fine. Too fine for the amount of paint I will likely put on it.

Skua_003a.jpg

Skua_004a.jpg

Plenty there to keep me busy for a while . I hope it goes together as good as it looks.

Cheers, Christian B)

Very cool subject. The Brits never lacked for interesting designs, did they. Forget thinking outside the box. They put a motor and wings on the box and flew it! :pilot

Very cool subject. The Brits never lacked for interesting designs, did they. Forget thinking outside the box. They put a motor and wings on the box and flew it! :pilot

Yes you're right about that . Seems like they tried to just group things together to see if it will possibly fly.

Some are just beautiful and others just made you wonder . . .

Meanwhile , I have done some trimming and checked the main assemblies for fit

Skua_fit_001a.jpg

Looks like the part of it won't be too stressful .

Cheers, Christian B)

Doing a bit of basic assembly of the cockpit this morning .

Lots of parts , even for the basic framework and a bit vague in the instructions.

Skua_interior_001a.jpg

Being as there is no positive pins in the parts, I'm having to assemble the main parts and stuffing them in the fuselage to make sure everything dries at the correct angles with the help of blue tack.

Skua_interior_003a.jpg

There are still a few major components awaiting their turn .

Everything fits tighter than even main stream kits. All parts must be installed in the perfect position.
Who would have thought ?

Spindly looking bird . :blink

Skua_interior_004a.jpg

Cheers, Christian B)

:hmmm Me thinks yer getting the upper hand on this Chris! Iffin' I didn't know any betta I'd say this was a Classic-Hairloss kit from the sounds of it...

Very cool subject. The Brits never lacked for interesting designs, did they. Forget thinking outside the box. They put a motor and wings on the box and flew it!
:pilot

You aren't wrong, for more FAA silliness check-out the Fairey Barracuda, even better the Westland Pterodactyl. And back to the model, great progress, Christian.

Ian.

Actually I've had this other kit in my stash for a long time but have not had the guts to try it and build it yet.

BlackburnRocNo10.jpg

The Blackburn Rock which was an evolution of the Skua and a failure .

The Pavla kit needs a lot of fabrication to just build it and it's probably not as good of a kit as this one.

Interesting none the less.

Cheers, Christian B)

Looking good Christian! Nice to see one of these being built too!

I have the Roc in my stash too. Might end up being the float version someday! :D

Keep it up!

:popcorn

Very cool subject. The Brits never lacked for interesting designs, did they. Forget thinking outside the box. They put a motor and wings on the box and flew it!
:pilot

You aren't wrong, for more FAA silliness check-out the Fairey Barracuda, even better the Westland Pterodactyl. And back to the model, great progress, Christian.

Ian.

The Pterodactyl is different for sure but it does not seem to differ that much from other flying wing concepts

I just love the Barracuda but still have not tried to tame one into submission . I think it would be very interesting with the wings folded :S but probably quite challenging.
I wish someone would produce a mainstream version in my scale.

I realize the Lysander is not an FAA bird but we have to give the designer credit for building something that looks reptilian . I have the very large Matchbox awaiting courage.

I have to give the RLM the top prize though with their BV 141

Cheers, Christian B)

Actually I've had this other kit in my stash for a long time but have not had the guts to try it and build it yet.

BlackburnRocNo10.jpg

The Blackburn Rock which was an evolution of the Skua and a failure .

The Pavla kit needs a lot of fabrication to just build it and it's probably not as good of a kit as this one.

Interesting none the less.

Cheers, Christian B)

Looking good Christian! Nice to see one of these being built too!

I have the Roc in my stash too. Might end up being the float version someday! :D

Keep it up!

:popcorn

Well, that certainly would be cool . I do ask myself why anyone would think that adding a big pair of floats to an already overworked airframe would be a good idea ? :facepalm

But hey, it works good with plastic.

Cheers, Christian B)

Back