• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Another FNG from Canada

Another Canuck here.

I'm in South-Central Ontario. I have an interest in all aspects of military modelling. I'll be looking to see some of your floatplane builds. Have you built any of the Hobbycraft ones? Did you like them?

Cheers

Hey TB,

I've built the Hobbycraft Otter. Didn't turn out too bad but it was a lot of work. I find the Hobbycraft kits lack a lot of the detail you find in other kits. I also built their Do 17Z and that needed a lot as well. Plus at the time, I didn't know about the fuselage error.

Not a great pic but here she is

Otter.jpg

Another Canuck here.

I'm in South-Central Ontario. I have an interest in all aspects of military modelling. I'll be looking to see some of your floatplane builds. Have you built any of the Hobbycraft ones? Did you like them?

Cheers

Hey TB,

I've built the Hobbycraft Otter. Didn't turn out too bad but it was a lot of work. I find the Hobbycraft kits lack a lot of the detail you find in other kits. I also built their Do 17Z and that needed a lot as well. Plus at the time, I didn't know about the fuselage error.

Not a great pic but here she is

Otter.jpg

Nice Otter.

A number of years ago I got a few Hobbycraft Spitfire and Hurricane kits in 1/48 at $5.00 each. I also have their 1/48 CF-100 Mk IV kit and the Mk V but I'm just using the Mk V for parts. Their Avro Arrow kits are really basic. That's why I was wondering how their floatplane kits were.

I need to get back to my CF-100 Mk IV build sometime soon.

Thanks and cheers

The kit itself was pretty good, the main problems were the interior was sparse, the engine wasn't much to write home about and the floats were a bit of a pain to attach.

other than that, not too bad. I think tis worth getting if you're interested.

I haven't really seen many other hobby craft kits.

Hi Warren. Glad to see another Canuck modeller join an outstanding forum. Hope to see more of your work. I'll show you mine, if you'll show me yours.

:unsure: Wait a minute. I said that to some chick when I was seven.

:blush: Got to come up a new one liner after forty years of using it!! :blush:

Hi Warren. Glad to see another Canuck modeller join an outstanding forum. Hope to see more of your work. I'll show you mine, if you'll show me yours.

:unsure: Wait a minute. I said that to some chick when I was seven.

:blush: Got to come up a new one liner after forty years of using it!! :blush:

Thanks Ben, I'll try and get some more posted when I can!

Hi Warren - let me add my welcome, some nice stuff you've built there - got a thing for webbed feet birds i see :ro:

Geoff

Thanks James and Geoff!

Yeah, I like the ones that float! Not sure what it is, maybe that they operate in two elements, mainly I just think they look cool! There's something nostalgic about a flying boat too, don't see too many these days!

Well, I'm a day late and a dollar short as usual, but welcome to the Alliance. I also like floatplanes, but I build all mine in 1/72 scale. I've done a few, but my wheeled aircraft are far more numerous.

Since you've shown some of yours, here are a few of my floatplanes I've done:

1/72 scale MPC British Catalina:

BritishPBYCatalinaI.jpg

1/72 scale Matchbox Supermarine Stranraer:

BritishSupermarineStranraerII-1.jpg

1/72 scale Ancient Aurora Hu-16 Albatross:

USSA16BAlbatross.jpg

Old 1/72 scale Airfix O-2 Kingfisher:

USO2UKingfisherI.jpg

Revell 1/72 scale SOC-3 Seagull:

USSOC3SeagullII.jpg

These last two are from an anime movie called "Porco Roso". Here is Porco's Savoia S-21, a fictitious plane only seen in the movie:

ItalianSavoiaS21FPorcoRossoIV.jpg

His main rival is an American Pilot hired by some air pirates to take down Porco. He flies this Curtis SC-3:

USSC3FloatplaneI.jpg

Here's a shot of the two of them together on one stand:

PorcoRossoRivalsI.jpg

I have two other floatplanes to build; I may be starting them sometime next year. One is the big Martin.

Anyway, welcome once again and enjoy yourself on the Alliance!

Back