• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

All Righty ... What's on the bench today?

Paul, yes; I'll be doing all the mules. This does have all 20 in the kit if I recall correctly. There sure are a ton of little mules in there.

Thanks James!

Looking good Gerry! I'll be watching that one. As Helios, says, I don't think you need to worry about the Hobby Lobby.

Paul, yes; I'll be doing all the mules. This does have all 20 in the kit if I recall correctly. There sure are a ton of little mules in there.

Thanks James!

Looking good Gerry! I'll be watching that one. As Helios, says, I don't think you need to worry about the Hobby Lobby.

Nice article on Wiki about the teams. "The wagons were among the largest ever pulled by draft animals, designed to carry 10 short tons (9 metric tons) of borax ore at a time."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty-mule_team

Images of borax wagons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaunKrP-btI 20 Mule Team Wagon Train Story

There was 1940 movie too. 20 Mule Team (1940)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0032178/plotsummary?ref_=tt_ov_pl Anne Baxter's first movie.

Aklso available on You Tube.

1940 20 Mule Team Wallace Beery; Leo Carrillo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebxI1maPD4c

Cheers

Thanks for the great posts on the 20 Mule Team Wagon Train. I'll be watching them all for reference.

Meanwhile, here's a small update on some other models I'm trying to get done.

I'll start with two of my large aircraft that need a silver finish. I decided to try something new that I'd been recommended: Vallejo's Liquid Metal coat. I shot it straight through the airbrush onto both of these aircraft and I'm wondering if I should have thinned it. It doesn't show very well in these pics, but there's a number of issues with these basecoats.

Here's the B-377:

WIP_B_377_III.jpg

And here's the C-118:

WIP_CargoHaulersCampaign_XVII.jpg

I started on the bottom with this one since it needs white across the top. I keep praying that I get a smooth, even finish but so far it is eluding me.

Moving on, I decided to get further along on my three German vehicles that have been sitting for too long.

All three were clearcoated for decals:

WIP_Boxer_Command_XIII.jpg

Decals were then applied. Here's the Boxer for the APC campaign:

WIP_APC_GB_XXII.jpg

Now the Boxer Command version:

WIP_Boxer_Command_XIV.jpg

And finally, the Tpz Fuchs:

WIP_Fuchs_IX.jpg

Before all that, while I had the airbrush out; I had shot a basecoat of green drab over the Japanese prototype armored car:

WIP_JGSDF_Prototype_LAV_IX.jpg

I also shot the same basecoat on the Patriot system too since I had the color available:

WIP_JGSDF_Patriot_PAC_3_XVI.jpg

It's kind of hard to see in these pics given how close the basecoat is to the original color, but it's there. I should be able to move on and get the second color on the A/C; as well as start detailing the Patriot.

Finally, while waiting for all these to dry, I started on a vehicle I've been wanting to start but was put off by the delicate nature of the suspension. Since this wasn't going to build itself, I bit the bullet and got going. Here is some of the suspension started; with the instructions showing what I'm supposed to do in the background:

WIP_SMERCH_I.jpg

Only six more of those to do.....

This also put me off starting this sooner. These are the rocket tubes for this model that need to be built. On the left is the un-started sprue showing all the parts for two rocket tubes. On the right is one of the sprues with the rocket tube parts put together into tubes. I have six of these sprues to do for all twelve tubes; I've completed three of the six sprues so far:

WIP_SMERCH_II.jpg

Now my cold meds are kicking in, so it's time to take a nap. Enjoy this short trip through the manufacturing plant once again.

Thanks for looking in, comments are welcome.

I have spent pretty much the last 4 weeks or so working on the case to go around the watch cleaning machines at work. While I still have the doors to do, the main part is done and installed at work. Nothing fancy this time for the post. assembly and design is basically "seat of the pants" (with some experience) While the basic idea is simple, getting all the holes layed out, drilled, re-drilled to size, counter sunk and tapped as needed was time intensive. Here are a couple of pics.

Case_for_cleaning_machines.jpg

Corner_detail.jpg

While quite large, I did manage to get it fairly solid. The boss was, I think rather surprised at how professional it actually looks. His idea was to take some acrylic, cut it to size and glue it together. :rotf

Would have been shaky as a brown paper grocery sack in this size. While the plastic panels have a little flex to them, the frame is quite rigid. This was especially important in the front where the doors were going to be. I feel I succeeded on that. No wiggle in the front and the rest is fairly solid. Still have the doors to build but those are going to wait till after Thanksgiving.

Thanks James!

Yes I've been on a Recon trip, I found where the Discount area of the store is, this store seems larger than the one 30 miles away. Could be risky, but as you say a shop ran by people who don't understand a model builder. Besides I'm starting the model Railroad layout at my place, a definite draw, plus I have a Gaming table ... :woohoo:

Thanks Mark ... now on the Bench ...

h3bff944.JPG

I didn't have light blue so this pearl blue will be nice ...

I also didn't like the fence on the livestock and supply Car ...

hea55fd3.JPG

So I removed the top rail and I'm cutting the posts down a Bit ... :woohoo:

Well, I won't be building anything for awhile; so I'm gonna post what I did get done before I was forced to stop. The reason will be mentioned at the end of this post. Before that though, I wanted to show some of the issues I had with the Vallejo Liquid Metal. From front to back:

WIP_B_377_IVb.jpg

WIP_B_377_IVa.jpg

WIP_B_377_IVc.jpg

WIP_B_377_IVd.jpg

You can see most of it seems to be the paint drying before it hits the model. Once I get more of this, I'll try again; this time thinning it with alcohol as suggested on the bottle.

Meanwhile, I tried to get further along on my German vehicles. To start, I started installing the wheels on my Tpz Fuchs, along with some tools and other detail parts:

WIP_Fuchs_X.jpg

Next I started building the weapon station/remote control turret on my Boxer Command vehicle:

WIP_Boxer_Command_XV.jpg

I continued by adding some bits and bobs to it:

WIP_Boxer_Command_XVI.jpg

Finally, I did the same to my Boxer APC. I added the gun to the remote turret and then added some tools and antennas, among other parts. I also started to install the wheels to this. If it looks like it is leaning, it's because it is. I only got the wheels on the one side:

WIP_APC_GB_XXIV.jpg

And now for the reason I won't be building for awhile. I need to heal.

Yesterday while working at a house, I shot my hand with a 16-penny pneumatic air nail gun. The nail went more than halfway inside my hand at the base joint of my thumb, scraping the bone inside and creating whole new definitions of pain. Right now, my hand is braced so that it can't move; thankfully:

BUSTED_II.jpg

Any movement creates new adventures in screaming, intense pain. I am on strong antibiotics now. The only 'redeeming' thing about this experience was that I got to experience morphine for the first time. It did nothing to dull the pain at all, but it sure made it easier to deal with!

Okay, that is about all I have for awhile. My apologies for this and trust me; there's nothing you can say about my thoughtlessness and carelessness that hasn't already been said; nor is it worse than anything I'm feeling about my stupidity now. Meanwhile I'll just keep checking in once in awhile and possibly post. It does take forever to post with my left hand...

Ouch! Been there, done that. Mine went all the way through, but just went through the meat at between the thumb and forefinger below the base of the thumb. I had my son pull the nail out with a pair of pliers as the nail was stuck in a 2 X 8. I thought he was gonna pass out, he really turned pale. They put me on antibiotics for a bit and it healed up fine.

And yes - I did feel stupid.

Heal up fast so you can get back to the bench.

EJ

Thanks guys! EJ, I'm sorry you had to go through this too. I've never known such intense pain in decades. I do hope I can heal up fast indeed.

Crap Duke!!! That sucks. Get well soon! :zen :zen :zen

PS: I know all about feeling stupid so no judgement from me.

And now for the reason I won't be building for awhile. I need to heal.

Yesterday while working at a house, I shot my hand with a 16-penny pneumatic air nail gun. The nail went more than halfway inside my hand at the base joint of my thumb, scraping the bone inside and creating whole new definitions of pain. Right now, my hand is braced so that it can't move; thankfully:

BUSTED_II.jpg

Any movement creates new adventures in screaming, intense pain. I am on strong antibiotics now. The only 'redeeming' thing about this experience was that I got to experience morphine for the first time. It did nothing to dull the pain at all, but it sure made it easier to deal with!

Okay, that is about all I have for awhile. My apologies for this and trust me; there's nothing you can say about my thoughtlessness and carelessness that hasn't already been said; nor is it worse than anything I'm feeling about my stupidity now. Meanwhile I'll just keep checking in once in awhile and possibly post. It does take forever to post with my left hand...

Holy Cow Mark! :blink :blink

Sorry to read this, do what the doc tells you and get healed up soon. MAN! :blink

Wow! at leastt here's a bright side. You didn't cut a nerve or tendon with the nailand thus should still have full use of the hand once it heals. You also didn't drive the naiul through a bone.

Take care and may you heal quickly and fully.

P.S. You might check your computer programs and see if it has a speech to text program in it.

Cheers

Thanks for the great replies and prayers guys. I am able to move my thumb a little today, but not much; and certainly no pressure on it. I got a Doc appointment today so we'll see what she says.

TB, that's a pretty good idea. I'll look into that.

Thanks again guys!

Thanks Chuck! I still get the heebie-jeebies when I think of it. Every twinge and spasm of pain doesn't help either. I truly do want to finish up some models!

Thanks again for checking in, I always love seeing your replies.

Thanks for the great replies and prayers guys. I am able to move my thumb a little today, but not much; and certainly no pressure on it. I got a Doc appointment today so we'll see what she says.

TB, that's a pretty good idea. I'll look into that.

Thanks again guys!

I just checked the PROGRAMS menu on my laptop with Windows 7 and it has Windows Speech Recognition in the Ease of Access sub-menu in ALL PROGRAMS.

I went to the Start Menu. Then clicked ALL PROGRAMS then Accessories then Ease of Access.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Back