• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

All Righty ... What's on the bench today?

Well, after several years of no activity, the kids & I pulled out the SR-71 Blackbird. Figures we've lost 3 pieces, so I contacted Revell 2 have them send us the parts.... What's 8 more weeks.....

Well, after several years of no activity, the kids & I pulled out the SR-71 Blackbird. Figures we've lost 3 pieces, so I contacted Revell 2 have them send us the parts.... What's 8 more weeks.....

I have one that I built closed up = no wheels or cockpit interior. Perhaps I have the pieces you need. tell me what they are and if I have them I'll get them into an envelope for you.

Cheers

Unfortunately my kit building is stalled until I finish this thing. It is a large plastic and aluminum case to go around our watch cleaning machines at work. It is a design and build as you go project. A bit of the design is based on stuff I have built before, but there is a fair bit that is "as you go".

Here are some photos of "in process" which is where it is at. When it is done it will be done. :idonno

Have to get it finished by next Monday, so it is getting to the wire.

Case-01.jpg

Case-02.jpg

Case-03.jpg

Case-04.jpg

Looking good Paul. I like it. It's always great to be able to make things that improve the quality of the workplace and make things easier.

Well, I'm home now and just finished a two-day model building binge at Hobby Day Friday and Saturday. I actually have something to post now for once.

I'll start with a couple things I worked on before leaving on my trip. I did these while recovering from my biopsy. To start out with, I tried to rig my SE-5A. That was an unmitigated disaster. I got 65% of it done and then somehow everything unraveled. It's kind of hard to see but here's the results:

WIP_SE5A_IX.jpg

WIP_SE5A_X.jpg

After that fiasco, I decided to do something simple. I put away the biplane and pulled out my Boxer Command vehicle and added the third camouflage color to it:

WIP_Boxer_Command_XI.jpg

WIP_Boxer_Command_XII.jpg

That one is now ready for clearcoat and decals. Finally....

After my vacation, I went to Hobby Day and these are the things I got done.

First off, I worked a bit more on my Hippy Ed Tribute plane; completing my Vigilante cockpit:

WIP_HippyEd_Vigilante_VI.jpg

WIP_HippyEd_Vigilante_V.jpg

After that, I closed everything up inside the fuselage:

WIP_HippyEd_Vigilante_VII.jpg

Later on, I cemented together all the parts that had been molded in half: wings, tail surfaces, vertical tail fin, bombs, drop tanks, etc. Once I'd done that I dry-fitted the wings to the fuselage to see how it looks. This is gonna be one big aircraft:

WIP_HippyEd_Vigilante_VIII.jpg

Moving on, I started on my armor again so I could get done with my last ones to make it to 700. I pulled out my Japanese Patriot PAC III system and completed the launch carriage for the launching boxes:

WIP_JGSDF_Patriot_PAC_3_XIV.jpg

I then assembled all the boxes and got them mounted on the carriage and then added that to the trailer. This little vehicle is starting to look pretty good! It is much closer now to the paint stage, possible this weekend or so:

WIP_JGSDF_Patriot_PAC_3_XVa.jpg

And, they made it so that the launching boxes raise into firing position:

WIP_JGSDF_Patriot_PAC_3_XVb.jpg

After this, I pulled out my Pershing II system and tried to work on that. I really didn't get far on that: I just added a few extra parts to the chassis and sanded and fixed up the rocket:

WIP_Pershing_II_MIssile_System_VIII.jpg

After giving up on that, I moved on and pulled out one of the models I'd been wanting to build. I decided to start the Modelcollect T-14 Armata tank as one of my two CTA campaign models. Threads for them will be started soon.

I started out with the turret; getting it all assembled, but not adding any of the detail pieces yet. This kit does come with an beautifully turned brass barrel:

WIP_CTA_III_T-14_Armata_Tank_III.jpg

Next I moved on and added all the roadwheels to the lower hull:

WIP_CTA_III_T-14_Armata_Tank_IV.jpg

Afterward I assembled all the parts to the upper hull, adding the side skirts and hatches, but none of the photo etch yet:

WIP_CTA_III_T-14_Armata_Tank_V.jpg

There were two boxes that went on in the back of the upper hull so I added the upper and lower hulls together to make sure they sat in the proper position:

WIP_CTA_III_T-14_Armata_Tank_VI.jpg

Since I had these together, why not add the turret to see what this looks like? This is one beefy looking tank! That turret looks too small on top of that monstrosity:

WIP_CTA_III_T-14_Armata_Tank_VII.jpg

That's all I got done on that so far. Next I pulled out the other model I was going to do for the CTA. This one is the Hasegawa Leopold rail gun. I didn't do much to this one; I only cemented the two halves of the barrel together:

WIP_CTA_III_Leopold_Railgun_III.jpg

And finally, during all this (as mentioned in the Latest Acquisitions Thread) my friend brought me the Borax wagon train. I pulled that out and got started on it. Here's the first wagon partially assembled:

WIP_Borax_Wagon_Train_I.jpg

This is how it looked completed:

WIP_Borax_Wagon_Train_II.jpg

I then built the second one. It was a lot like the first so it went together fast:

WIP_Borax_Wagon_Train_III.jpg

Finally, I built the water wagon. That was easy, except I'm going to have a time sanding the seam on the sides. In this pic, the tank is just sitting on the chassis so I can get to the sides better:

WIP_Borax_Wagon_Train_IV.jpg

Here's a final shot of the three of them all together. This is looking pretty good!

WIP_Borax_Wagon_Train_V.jpg

Now I'll need a nice long board to build a base on so these will sit well.

Okay, that's all my progress for this past couple days. I hope you enjoyed your trip through the Manufacturing Plant floor again. I don't know when I'll be able to do anything more, but all comments are welcome. Thanks for looking in.

That's a lot of progress on a bunch of subjects! :eek:hmy:

Glad to see it looks like that 1/72 Vigi is going together with a lot less hassles than the 1/48 version.

Thanks Chris! It felt great to get a lot of progress done for once! Yeah, the Vigi is assembling quite well. I do want to hang ordinance on it, but I think Hippy's uncle only flew recon birds which flew clean. I need to check it out.

Thanks again for the great comment!

From most of the pics I've found, 90% of the birds were clean...not even drops under the wings. Which makes sense when you think about it, as they didn't really have a long route w/ carriers operating offshore in the South China Sea just outside of the Gulf of Tonkin.

With Gary building his wings stretched and the full length intakes, I'll be building mine in clean configuration with wings folded and intake plugs/covers installed.

Awesome! That didn't take too terribly long. :coolio

By sheer coincidence...the Blackbird was one of my first adventures back into this hobby last fall.

No I was really surprised how quickly they got here. I was expecting the full 8 weeks.

I did a blackbird when I was younger & it was pretty easy & my son wanted 2 make some models, so I figured it'd be a good 1 2 start with...

Looking good Paul. I like it. It's always great to be able to make things that improve the quality of the workplace and make things easier.

Well, I'm home now and just finished a two-day model building binge at Hobby Day Friday and Saturday. I actually have something to post now for once.

I'll start with a couple things I worked on before leaving on my trip. I did these while recovering from my biopsy. To start out with, I tried to rig my SE-5A. That was an unmitigated disaster. I got 65% of it done and then somehow everything unraveled. It's kind of hard to see but here's the results:

WIP_SE5A_IX.jpg

WIP_SE5A_X.jpg

After that fiasco, I decided to do something simple. I put away the biplane and pulled out my Boxer Command vehicle and added the third camouflage color to it:

WIP_Boxer_Command_XI.jpg

WIP_Boxer_Command_XII.jpg

That one is now ready for clearcoat and decals. Finally....

After my vacation, I went to Hobby Day and these are the things I got done.

First off, I worked a bit more on my Hippy Ed Tribute plane; completing my Vigilante cockpit:

WIP_HippyEd_Vigilante_VI.jpg

WIP_HippyEd_Vigilante_V.jpg

After that, I closed everything up inside the fuselage:

WIP_HippyEd_Vigilante_VII.jpg

Later on, I cemented together all the parts that had been molded in half: wings, tail surfaces, vertical tail fin, bombs, drop tanks, etc. Once I'd done that I dry-fitted the wings to the fuselage to see how it looks. This is gonna be one big aircraft:

WIP_HippyEd_Vigilante_VIII.jpg

Moving on, I started on my armor again so I could get done with my last ones to make it to 700. I pulled out my Japanese Patriot PAC III system and completed the launch carriage for the launching boxes:

WIP_JGSDF_Patriot_PAC_3_XIV.jpg

I then assembled all the boxes and got them mounted on the carriage and then added that to the trailer. This little vehicle is starting to look pretty good! It is much closer now to the paint stage, possible this weekend or so:

WIP_JGSDF_Patriot_PAC_3_XVa.jpg

And, they made it so that the launching boxes raise into firing position:

WIP_JGSDF_Patriot_PAC_3_XVb.jpg

After this, I pulled out my Pershing II system and tried to work on that. I really didn't get far on that: I just added a few extra parts to the chassis and sanded and fixed up the rocket:

WIP_Pershing_II_MIssile_System_VIII.jpg

After giving up on that, I moved on and pulled out one of the models I'd been wanting to build. I decided to start the Modelcollect T-14 Armata tank as one of my two CTA campaign models. Threads for them will be started soon.

I started out with the turret; getting it all assembled, but not adding any of the detail pieces yet. This kit does come with an beautifully turned brass barrel:

WIP_CTA_III_T-14_Armata_Tank_III.jpg

Next I moved on and added all the roadwheels to the lower hull:

WIP_CTA_III_T-14_Armata_Tank_IV.jpg

Afterward I assembled all the parts to the upper hull, adding the side skirts and hatches, but none of the photo etch yet:

WIP_CTA_III_T-14_Armata_Tank_V.jpg

There were two boxes that went on in the back of the upper hull so I added the upper and lower hulls together to make sure they sat in the proper position:

WIP_CTA_III_T-14_Armata_Tank_VI.jpg

Since I had these together, why not add the turret to see what this looks like? This is one beefy looking tank! That turret looks too small on top of that monstrosity:

WIP_CTA_III_T-14_Armata_Tank_VII.jpg

That's all I got done on that so far. Next I pulled out the other model I was going to do for the CTA. This one is the Hasegawa Leopold rail gun. I didn't do much to this one; I only cemented the two halves of the barrel together:

WIP_CTA_III_Leopold_Railgun_III.jpg

And finally, during all this (as mentioned in the Latest Acquisitions Thread) my friend brought me the Borax wagon train. I pulled that out and got started on it. Here's the first wagon partially assembled:

WIP_Borax_Wagon_Train_I.jpg

This is how it looked completed:

WIP_Borax_Wagon_Train_II.jpg

I then built the second one. It was a lot like the first so it went together fast:

WIP_Borax_Wagon_Train_III.jpg

Finally, I built the water wagon. That was easy, except I'm going to have a time sanding the seam on the sides. In this pic, the tank is just sitting on the chassis so I can get to the sides better:

WIP_Borax_Wagon_Train_IV.jpg

Here's a final shot of the three of them all together. This is looking pretty good!

WIP_Borax_Wagon_Train_V.jpg

Now I'll need a nice long board to build a base on so these will sit well.

Okay, that's all my progress for this past couple days. I hope you enjoyed your trip through the Manufacturing Plant floor again. I don't know when I'll be able to do anything more, but all comments are welcome. Thanks for looking in.

Are you going with the 20 mules? I don't think there are many that remembers that old Boraxo commercial.

Very Nice Mark ... You've been a very busy fellar ... I'm starting The Voyager Kit tomorrow or Tonight ...
Reading the Destructions 1st ...

h1e0946b_2016-11-15-2.JPG

ha522e3d.JPG

.... Nice Kit can't wait for Proteus to get here on Preorder now guess I'd better get some ... They Just opened a Hobby Lobby in town ... Business has slowed some what ... But I'm fighting for air and treading water fairly well ...

If the Hobby Lobby is like the one they have up here, it shouldn't affect you too much. Probably worth a recon look though. The modeling "dept" at the one closest to me (Lynnwood) is pretty abysmal (the one just outside of Tacoma was much the same). Less than half a rack down one side (more like 1/4), and 75% are just mainstream Revell automobiles. There are a few AMT autos, and less than a dozen aircraft. The one here is much more of an arts & crafts store than a "hobby" store. The Hobbytown here in town, as limited as there kit selection is, has a much better selection of kits and modeling essentials.

Back