• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

All Righty ... What's on the bench today?

Thanks Mark ... I'll be taking the Ash Pit to the Module today ... I may get it installed ...

h2260b4f.JPG

This started as a piece of white plaster casting I hop to get the track on it today ... The Fireman wants a place to dump his ashes ... :woohoo:

My rail truck trailer car is finished with exception of the trucks ... Jib crane chain ...

ha55a9d9.JPG

h199510b.JPG

This will go behind My Rail Truck that I'm putting DCC/Sound in ...

h523e6c5_2016-08-16.JPG

I will also modify this truck to look more like it belongs to Trailer ...

My fire truck got dusty, and still way more to do.

heb03ca4.JPG

h544e13b.JPG

h2be0226.JPG

Part of a diorama dedicated to the 343 FDNY firefighters who gave their lives to save others'. It's been 15 years since then.

Laurence

My fire truck got dusty, and still way more to do.

heb03ca4.JPG

h544e13b.JPG

h2be0226.JPG

Part of a diorama dedicated to the 343 FDNY firefighters who gave their lives to save others'. It's been 15 years since then.

Laurence

Superb.

I know it's too late, but a '10' on the door would be fitting. Ten Truck was my brother's house, located right across the street from the Towers. It's the only house in the FDNY to not reopen. As fate would have it, he transferred out earlier in the year because he was tired of climbing all those stairs for the bulk of his career. He was off duty on that morning, driving on the Turnpike (I95) and saw the Towers burning so he turned around and headed in, only to be pulled off the detail bus to man a house on Staten Island. The NJ Fire Depts. came to NY to cover houses emptied for the Trade Center and needed one FDNY guy in each to be able to coordinate the replacements and man the radio. So he basically listened to every friend he had over 20 years die in a few hours.

Very moving piece Laurence.

We visited the 9/11 museum and memorial a couple years ago- truly an emotional place...and one I'll never forget.

Gerry, looking good. That is moving along well.

Lawrence, I am stunned at the incredible realism you achieved with that dusty firetruck. That is truly an incredibly masterful job, and as Jeeves said, very moving.

Ausf, that is also a very moving story. I can't even imagine what your brother went through that day. I do hope he is doing okay.

I also visited Ground Zero back in 2007 and it is a hauntingly moving place. Your engine sure captures the essence and feel of that place and that day.

Well done.

Superb.

I know it's too late, but a '10' on the door would be fitting. Ten Truck was my brother's house, located right across the street from the Towers. It's the only house in the FDNY to not reopen. As fate would have it, he transferred out earlier in the year because he was tired of climbing all those stairs for the bulk of his career. He was off duty on that morning, driving on the Turnpike (I95) and saw the Towers burning so he turned around and headed in, only to be pulled off the detail bus to man a house on Staten Island. The NJ Fire Depts. came to NY to cover houses emptied for the Trade Center and needed one FDNY guy in each to be able to coordinate the replacements and man the radio. So he basically listened to every friend he had over 20 years die in a few hours.

Tell your Brother Thank You for us. :salute

Laurence and Gerry, great jobs both of you. Looking swell! :popcorn

Superb.

There is not much left to say after reading this. I only thought it would be my little way of saying thanks to the brave, never imagined it would be something you, my fellow modelers, would see as anything more than a model. Of course, I did imagine most of us would have memories of that day, but not this close.

I have seen a lot of photographs, videos, articles, stories as part of my research. For a long time I have been thinking of what I want to do, what I want to show and present as part of my small tribute. I then thought that maybe I should not show any numbers on this truck as I did not want this to be pointing at any of the FDNY companies in particular. I want this to be for all of them. Maybe it dilutes the original intention a bit, maybe it doesn't.

Anyway, here's an image that I found, this is for your brother.

h3891c30.JPG

Thanks for sharing this story with us,

Laurence

Very moving piece Laurence.

We visited the 9/11 museum and memorial a couple years ago- truly an emotional place...and one I'll never forget.

I bet anyone would find it exactly the same - I know I would, for sure.

Another image that I found during my research, this might be something you have seen

hf8bd07c.jpg

Thank you for your compliment,

Laurence

Gerry, looking good. That is moving along well.

Lawrence, I am stunned at the incredible realism you achieved with that dusty firetruck. That is truly an incredibly masterful job, and as Jeeves said, very moving.

Ausf, that is also a very moving story. I can't even imagine what your brother went through that day. I do hope he is doing okay.

I also visited Ground Zero back in 2007 and it is a hauntingly moving place. Your engine sure captures the essence and feel of that place and that day.

Well done.

Thank you very much, I really appreciate it.

I have visited a few sites that, throughout history, have been the place of terrible tragedies. I cannot imagine how I would feel visiting Ground Zero. One day I might find out.

Laurence

Superb.

There is not much left to say after reading this. I only thought it would be my little way of saying thanks to the brave, never imagined it would be something you, my fellow modelers, would see as anything more than a model. Of course, I did imagine most of us would have memories of that day, but not this close.

I have seen a lot of photographs, videos, articles, stories as part of my research. For a long time I have been thinking of what I want to do, what I want to show and present as part of my small tribute. I then thought that maybe I should not show any numbers on this truck as I did not want this to be pointing at any of the FDNY companies in particular. I want this to be for all of them. Maybe it dilutes the original intention a bit, maybe it doesn't.

Anyway, here's an image that I found, this is for your brother.

h3891c30.JPG

Thanks for sharing this story with us,

Laurence

Thanks for that. I was hesitant to relate the story, originally I just wrote 'was my brother's house', but that sounded like he died (although a big part of him did that day).

On a lighter note, there's an iconic photo of a firefighter leaning on his axe on the rubble that was on the front page of all the papers. He looks grief stricken and overwhelmed, it's a really moving photo. From his helmet number, my brother knew him and when he saw him they both laughed when he asked 'nice photo, backache?' Turns out it's something my brother (and a lot of firefighters) does when his lower back needs a stretch. In Ten Truck, they mostly responded to false alarms in the Towers, which meant a lot of stair climbing in full gear, especially on the upper floors, hence a lot of back stretching. Bright spot is the Windows on the World used to give them meals all the time.

On another lighter note, just to slow the resilience of these guys, a good friend of mine was in 201. I played touch football and went to Giants games with him. Everyone called him 'F***in' Cooney', because you were always shaking your head at what he was doing. He was the guy you'd go with to a game on Sunday afternoon, then find yourself calling in sick on Monday from Atlantic City. I was watching Super Bowl 21 with his house and one guy would have won $60,000 in a pool if Norwood hit that kick, but he was also a lifelong Giants freak, so he was going nuts. That night those guys invited me and my girlfriend on a cruise to Bermuda with a dozen guys from the 201. I've partied a lot in my days, but never like that. My bar tab at the end of the cruise was close to the ticket price. Anyway, getting married, moved away, kids, etc. I lost touch with those guys over the years, but the first thoughts on 9/11 after my brothers was the 201. When I finally got some info, it was just a head shake, 201 is in Brooklyn, close to lower Manhattan so they were the first in, all gone A while later there was a televised benefit concert at the Garden. As I'm watching, at the end, all the big names were up there. McCartney, Daltrey...and then a bunch of firefighters came on stage behind them in a line, rocking out. There he was: F***in' Cooney, dancing up a storm, drunk as a skunk. I don't think I ever cheered so much in my life.

That is an awesome story! I would have cheered too!

This week on my bench I have a moderate update, mostly on my armor that I'm trying to complete so I can achieve my goal. In between, I did work on a few aircraft to keep things fresh. This will be a picture intensive post so buckle up and hang on tight.

I'll start with my aircraft...

The first one I did was the Crusader, masking it off to prepare it for painting the grey:

WIP_SummerBreak_V.jpg

Next I decided to add the decals to my two WWI fighters. First off, I completed the decals on the SE-5A:

WIP_SE5A_V.jpg

WIP_SE5A_VI.jpg

After that, I added half the decals to the Fokker D-VII:

WIP_Fokker_DVII_g.jpg

This is why I only did half the decals. This aircraft gets a multi-colored pattern on the bottom. Well, here is the decals for that multi-color pattern:

WIP_Fokker_DVII_h.jpg

That's right! I get to color them in myself!! YAAAYYYYYY!

Okay, enough fun with wingies for now. Let's move on to my extensive parade of progress pics for my armor.

Let's start with the three German vehicles I started; one of which is being built for the APC campaign here on the Alliance. I went ahead and painted on the second of the camouflage colors for this beastie:

WIP_APC_GB_XIII.jpg

WIP_APC_GB_XIX.jpg

Later on I added the third color:

WIP_APC_GB_XX.jpg

WIP_APC_GB_XXI.jpg

Moving on, I also added the second and third colors to my Tpz Fuchs. After all, I had the paints out:

WIP_Fuchs_V.jpg

WIP_Fuchs_VI.jpg

WIP_Fuchs_VII.jpg

WIP_Fuchs_VIII.jpg

I started to do the same with my Boxer command vehicle, but realized there were a few parts missing that I forgot to add in my haste to keep up with the APC version of this vehicle. So, I glued them in place:

WIP_Boxer_Command_IV.jpg

WIP_Boxer_Command_V.jpg

Later on, I airbrushed the base color on these new parts:

WIP_Boxer_Command_VIII.jpg

WIP_Boxer_Command_VII.jpg

Now I can move forward on this camouflage pattern.

After this, I worked on my two buses. The Vomag simply got a coat of gloss clear over it so there wasn't any reason to shoot pics of that. However, my Ludwig bus got it's wheels on now:

WIP_Ludwig_Areo_Bus_XIII.jpg

I also gave a black wash to the front grill that was screaming for it. It looks a little more stark in real life; I'm very pleased with the results:

WIP_Ludwig_Areo_Bus_XIX.jpg

I plan on leaving this a semi-gloss color since this was used to ferry around officers so they most likely would have left it looking semi-glossy.

This bus is almost done now. I'm going to try and finish this and the Vomag at about the same time. You should be seeing both of them soon in a finished Forums before too long.

Now it was time to start on some new JGSDF equipment that I've been wanting to add to my collection for some time. I started with the new prototype LAV that the Japanese are developing. I assembled the suspension, then the main hull and before I knew it; I had gotten this far:

WIP_JGSDF_Prototype_LAV_I.jpg

The I started on the turret. That was completed very quickly as well:

WIP_JGSDF_Prototype_LAV_II.jpg

This little beastie is looking pretty good:

WIP_JGSDF_Prototype_LAV_III.jpg

Later on, I realized that I hadn't added the nose and rear panel to the main hull, mostly because I needed to add the clear lights to them. I added them in, masked them off on the outside; then I painted the rear of both of them with Chrome Silver:

WIP_JGSDF_Prototype_LAV_IV.jpg

After they were dry, these two parts went on the main hull:

WIP_JGSDF_Prototype_LAV_V.jpg

WIP_JGSDF_Prototype_LAV_VI.jpg

This is looking even better now:

WIP_JGSDF_Prototype_LAV_VII.jpg

I did notice all the seams on the edges of the hull and on parts of the turret and they were bothering me. I pulled out my Perfect Plastic Putty that I finally got some weeks ago and added it to all the seams to fill everything in:

WIP_JGSDF_Prototype_LAV_VIII.jpg

This is now ready for paint.

The last thing I did was to start on my JGSDF Patriot PAC-3 launcher. Naturally, I started out with the suspension and chassis of the tractor part:

WIP_JGSDF_Patriot_PAC_3_I.jpg

After that, I moved on to the cab, adding the windows to the outer part of the cab:

WIP_JGSDF_Patriot_PAC_3_II.jpg

Moving on, I started the interior, adding the seats, dashboard and steering wheel. These guys sure enjoy a comfortable ride:

WIP_JGSDF_Patriot_PAC_3_III.jpg

Just to see how it looked, I dry-fit the cab portions together:

WIP_JGSDF_Patriot_PAC_3_IV.jpg

Once I clean those windows back up the interior will be very visible!

Then I dry-fit this to the chassis:

WIP_JGSDF_Patriot_PAC_3_V.jpg

It does look like it's sitting high, but there are some other fender parts to assemble and add to this.

I set all that aside to dry and went to work on the trailer portion. Here's the basic trailer assembled here:

WIP_JGSDF_Patriot_PAC_3_VI.jpg

WIP_JGSDF_Patriot_PAC_3_VII.jpg

That's as far as I got for now. I'm hoping this next week I'll be able to declare a few of these done. I might know by Thursday. Meanwhile, stay tuned. Thanks all for looking in, comments are welcome.

Back