• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

All Righty ... What's on the bench today?

All Righty ... What are you doing today ?

Sounds fun Kenny!

Greeting from frigid Indianapolis. Wasn't too bad when I got here, felt almost exactly like it did when I left Charlotte, but already air temps are below freezing, which in itself isn't too bad, but wind chill is down to somewhere around 10°, and by morning apparently there's potential for wind chills to be at about -10° which I'm definitely not looking forward to.

Hope you have your long johns along Adam! :eek:hmy:

I bet he doesn't own close warm enough for up there, I know I don't. :rotf

I got rude awakening when I was in South Bend last year, woke up one morning and it was below zero F, and me in khakis :rotf

Sounds fun Kenny!

Greeting from frigid Indianapolis. Wasn't too bad when I got here, felt almost exactly like it did when I left Charlotte, but already air temps are below freezing, which in itself isn't too bad, but wind chill is down to somewhere around 10°, and by morning apparently there's potential for wind chills to be at about -10° which I'm definitely not looking forward to.

A this point in time I would say go to town and buy you some real winter clothing since it is not available here.

After that, may I suggest a trip to the Greek restaurant for some flaming cheese and some Ouzo

Cheers, Christian B)

Nope, no long johns, but I cant stand wearing them anyway. Haven't ever liked wearing skin tight clothes like that.

If I were having to work outside, then I'd probably look into something like that, but for the time spent running from the building to the car & vice versa, then just wearing a jacket w/ my "heavy" coat over the top of it works just fine. Layering is the key I've found when dealing w/ cold weather.

What makes it the hardest to deal w/ is the wind. Cold sucks, but you can deal w/ that by layering, but when the wind is blowing really strong, it just blows right through what ever you've got on.

Nope, no long johns, but I cant stand wearing them anyway. Haven't ever liked wearing skin tight clothes like that.

If I were having to work outside, then I'd probably look into something like that, but for the time spent running from the building to the car & vice versa, then just wearing a jacket w/ my "heavy" coat over the top of it works just fine. Layering is the key I've found when dealing w/ cold weather.

What makes it the hardest to deal w/ is the wind. Cold sucks, but you can deal w/ that by layering, but when the wind is blowing really strong, it just blows right through what ever you've got on.

A simple plastic light jacket is enough to stop the cold wind .

My thoughts were more like you'll have some real cold weather gear if you should need it in the future.

Ah, gotcha. I thought about buying some heavier stuff while I was up here, but unfortunately can't really afford it right now, and hopefully I wouldn't need it, but then you never know.

Ah, gotcha. I thought about buying some heavier stuff while I was up here, but unfortunately can't really afford it right now, and hopefully I wouldn't need it, but then you never know.

This is where a thrift store comes in handy.

You might get lucky like the guy that recently bought a tattered jacket for 58 cents and is auctioning it off this week with an appraised value of twebty-thousand dollars.

Cheers from Peter

Gosh guys I'm sorry to hear about that brutal weather;
especially Adam having to work away from home in it
cube-glace_zps1911dc7c.gif

I too, had to suffer through a hard weather day.
like_zps2460f50d.gif
It got to 88[sup]0 [/sup]s and I'm here to tell you I was tough and strong in the face of all this, I did not turn on the air conditioner. NOPE, sometimes ya just gotta be a man, an' not a weather wimp!

My wife just came in an' said.... "it's not easy being you, is it?"
?wonder why she said that ?
roflmao_zps227429dd.gif

:rotf

That wouldn't be bad if the humidity is down.

What am I doing today, home sick again :sick:
Went to work yesterday to knock out some stuff but think I over did it, all I could do to get back home.

Think I am going to slip down to the garage today for a bit.

We switch back and forth between the heater and the a/c so much I'm expecting a storm front to form in the living room.

Tried to work on a model yesterday. I managed to get all the fuselage decals on my DC-6 that's been languishing on the bench since 2012. I then sprayed it with another clear gloss coat. I also sprayed another couple clear gloss coats on my Valiant since I could see a whole mess of water spots (?) all over the top of the wings. I'm hoping they'll wipe them out, but I'm not confident. Oh well, I guess I'll just decal it and finish it off and be satisfied with another model that is not what I'd hoped it would be. It isn't enough to post an update for; I just started getting too clumsy and frustrated to go on so I stopped. Pissed me off; a whole day of model building wasted because I just couldn't keep things from falling, flying and spilling all day long!

Kenny that is great what your club is doing. I wish we could get that kind of positive publicity from the media out here. The last time we did something and got the press to show up, the lady reporter wrote the article in a snide and degrading way as she described our group of old guys still playing with their toys. Typical California media. :tomato

Yesterday my air conditioner turned on since the temps got up to 85 degrees. Made it a little stuffy in the Hobby Room since I have to have my window open to airbrush.

Tried to work on a model yesterday. I managed to get all the fuselage decals on my DC-6 that's been languishing on the bench since 2012. I then sprayed it with another clear gloss coat. I also sprayed another couple clear gloss coats on my Valiant since I could see a whole mess of water spots (?) all over the top of the wings. I'm hoping they'll wipe them out, but I'm not confident. Oh well, I guess I'll just decal it and finish it off and be satisfied with another model that is not what I'd hoped it would be. It isn't enough to post an update for; I just started getting too clumsy and frustrated to go on so I stopped. Pissed me off; a whole day of model building wasted because I just couldn't keep things from falling, flying and spilling all day long!

Kenny that is great what your club is doing. I wish we could get that kind of positive publicity from the media out here. The last time we did something and got the press to show up, the lady reporter wrote the article in a snide and degrading way as she described our group of old guys still playing with their toys. Typical California media. :tomato

Yesterday my air conditioner turned on since the temps got up to 85 degrees. Made it a little stuffy in the Hobby Room since I have to have my window open to airbrush.

Well Duke Maddog; Sounds like your modeling is going about as well as mine is, if I don't spill or drop something every few minuets, I must not be at my bench
getsmileyCA80AUP2.gif

Sorry about your meda hack; it is always amazing how uninformed these little princess are....they look good, but just dont listen too closely to what they say :facepalm

So, stay cool and Model On! good sir.

Finally back home. And enjoyable trip, managed to check out Indianapolis Motor Speedway for a 2nd time. Went to the museum again, and this time got to do the track tour. Rode around in a bus that played an audio track explaining the history & various facts. Wish we could have gotten out of the bus at the yard of bricks, but that wasn't allowed.

After that I visited the Dallara Indycar factory, which was pretty cool. The company I work for has done quite a bit of work for them in the past so I wanted to check it out. Found out this morning when talking to my boss/company owner, that if I'd called him to tell him I was there, he probably could have gotten me back into the area's not generally open to visitors. Oh well, maybe next time, haha. I dont imagine this will be my last trip to Indianapolis as long as I'm working here.

Probably the worst part of the trip was the first flight home. Got onto the plane, pulled back from the gate, and then after a few minutes, the pilot comes over the intercom to say there's some kind of computer fault related to the engines that they can't get to clear, so we had to pull back to the gate to get a maintenance worker to look at. He then said if the maintenance worker wasn't able to clear the fault, they would have to get a mechanic flown up from Atlanta, which I know automatically would mean probably at least a 3 or 4 hour delay. Wouldn't have been quite as bad if it had been a direct flight, but I only had a 90 minute layover in Atlanta, so a long delay would have meant missing my connection. Thankfully after a little over an hour, they cleared the fault, and it tested fine, so we got on our way. Managed to get to Atlanta and catch my connection with about 5 minutes to spare.

Finally back home. And enjoyable trip, managed to check out Indianapolis Motor Speedway for a 2nd time. Went to the museum again, and this time got to do the track tour. Rode around in a bus that played an audio track explaining the history & various facts. Wish we could have gotten out of the bus at the yard of bricks, but that wasn't allowed.

After that I visited the Dallara Indycar factory, which was pretty cool. The company I work for has done quite a bit of work for them in the past so I wanted to check it out. Found out this morning when talking to my boss/company owner, that if I'd called him to tell him I was there, he probably could have gotten me back into the area's not generally open to visitors. Oh well, maybe next time, haha. I dont imagine this will be my last trip to Indianapolis as long as I'm working here.

Probably the worst part of the trip was the first flight home. Got onto the plane, pulled back from the gate, and then after a few minutes, the pilot comes over the intercom to say there's some kind of computer fault related to the engines that they can't get to clear, so we had to pull back to the gate to get a maintenance worker to look at. He then said if the maintenance worker wasn't able to clear the fault, they would have to get a mechanic flown up from Atlanta, which I know automatically would mean probably at least a 3 or 4 hour delay. Wouldn't have been quite as bad if it had been a direct flight, but I only had a 90 minute layover in Atlanta, so a long delay would have meant missing my connection. Thankfully after a little over an hour, they cleared the fault, and it tested fine, so we got on our way. Managed to get to Atlanta and catch my connection with about 5 minutes to spare.

Isn't computerized flight so much better ? Probably needed some updates .

Can't wait for the day when we'll have to reboot the pilot. :sick:

I don't think that's too far off :skipper

Cheers, Christian B)

Isn't computerized flight so much better ? Probably needed some updates .

Can't wait for the day when we'll have to reboot the pilot. :sick:

I don't think that's too far off :skipper

Cheers, Christian B)

That is the crux of the differences in the thinking between Boeing and Airbus construction philosophy . Boeing has all the equipment responsive to the pilot, Airbus has the pilot responsive to the equipment. Yeah, I know that's a gross over simplification but the basics are there

Back