• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Adventures in soldering: The Rat Rod Wrecker

Finally got some bench time...

Thanks you guys for the kind remarks :) :) :)

Bob, you are correct, usually start with a paper template then shape it to a final fit. Those scribe marks on the cab where to help me bend both sides the same.

Update...

003-60.jpg

006-60.jpg

010-44.jpg

014-37.jpg

Mock up.......

018-28.jpg

Inner door skins....

005-64.jpg

020-16.jpg

Stuck on some plastic door handles to see what it will look like..

023-18.jpg

024-16.jpg

The doors are not soldered together yet, still need some glass...

Working on more of the cab, adding interior framing...

010-45.jpg

cut down some small hinges from 'Micro- Mark'....

003-63.jpg

002-67.jpg

003-61.jpg

008-48.jpg

003-62.jpg

004-52.jpg

012-35.jpg

016-31.jpg

Mock up time, the cowling piece is not attached yet....

009-51.jpg

Here is the final version of the roof form, MDF from a piece of laminate flooring.

049-5.jpg

Roof is .005 brass sheet ....

051-6.jpg

Heated to cherry red add beat to fit...

058-4.jpg

since this will get painted I was able to 'pie cut' the corners and fill with solder...

064-2.jpg

062-3.jpg

005-67.jpg

That is all for now, thanks for looking in!!

Randy

OK, you got some cool daddy tools. What's that thing you beat the roof into submission with? is it pneumatic> (I didn't take metal shop in school)

How do you keep the solder from running up in the hinge pin?

Stunning work Randy! :notworthy

That sound you all heard was me throwing all my modeling stuff in the trash can! What a masterpiece!! :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

RANDY ,

Mind Numbingly Awesome !!! Whew ! This really is Bad Ass !! Superb Craftsmanship from th Word Go ! I really believe you could write a book on this Rod as a Technique in Scratch building with Brass & on Soldiering !!

:ro: :ro: :ro: :ro: :ro: :ro: :ro: :ro: :ro: :ro: :ro: :ro:

Well it's uh ...... Uh , Greased Lightening

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c48Ol9xkaqM

:eek:hmy: :huh: :blink Ok Randy, just stop this madness right now cause I can't stand no more of this adventure!!!!!!!.......just kidding. Beautiful work :ro: :popcorn

Tim

Hi Folks,

Thank you all for the kind words :D :D :D

Bob, That is just a small hammer with screw on ends, on the solder issue I'm just carefull where the flux goes :) :)

Progress.....

Working on the cab interior, just small stuff that seems to take forever!!

Making up parts for the clutch and brake pedals, a frame for the seat and finally a better steering wheel...

017-22.jpg

005-65.jpg

039-7.jpg

048-1.jpg

008-49.jpg

009-52.jpg

008-50.jpg

006-62.jpg

011-39.jpg

018-30.jpg

Making up seat cushions out of clay. Using the kind of clay that you can bake so when I'm happy with them I'll try that. Also put in some paper templates of seat belts, have not figured out what to make them out of yet.

014-38.jpg

003-64.jpg

019-25.jpg

031-8.jpg

012-36.jpg

Thanks for looking in!

Randy

RANDY,

:geek !! AWESOME ( I'd like to have a dollar for every time that word's been used in this Thread ! ) Dy-No-Mite stuff !!

Those seats are Genius, did you make th Floor mats th same way ? I love th Steering wheel ..... You My Friend ... Truely are a Master Craftsman !! :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy (y) (y) (y) :ro: :ro: :ro: :ro: :ro: :ro: :ro: :ro:

What a great idea for the seat cushions Randy, I can't wait to see how look after they get baked. The floor treatment looks cool also, looks tread plate mats? It just keeps gettin' better all the time!

Back