• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Accurate Miniatures TBM-1C (Bomber Command) DONE

nerdling

Decided to pull this kit out of the stash and mainly use it to try out that Color of Eagles Paint I picked up. Found this kit on Ebay for 10 bucks. A guy on there has been selling loads of Accurate Miniatures kits for dirt cheap, usually they don't have boxes or decals but for 10 bucks it is a great deal. Picked up some Techmod decals also. So lots of new things to try out with this build.

IMG_4962.JPG

IMG_4963.JPG

IMG_4964.JPG

Re: Accurate Miniatures TBM-1C (Bomber Command)

This is a great kit. I built a cou[ple when they first came out. If you search the net there is a technique for putting the turret on last. It used to be on the Accurate Miniatures web site. Not sure if that exists anymore. Will watch with interest.
James

Thanks for watching James. Their website no longer exists but with webarchive.org I was able to find it

http://web.archive.org/web/20071021125431/http://www.accurate-miniatures.com/builds/avenger/avengerturret.shtml

If you search the net there is a technique for putting the turret on last. It used to be on the Accurate Miniatures web site. Not sure if that exists anymore.

Nerdling got it!

Indeed the web site is gone. The kits will be released by MRC.

Regards,

I got totally hung on trying to install the rear bulkhead and tail gear assembly. Just could not make it work. Total lack of locating pins sunk me. I'll be watching...:popcorn

I got a few from that same guy as well.

Can't go wrong for $10!

Been slowly working away on this beast. So far I have to say this kit has some of the best detail out of the box I've ever seen.

IMG_4971.JPG

IMG_4973.JPG

IMG_5023.JPG

Some builds I've seen online complain about the lack of detail on the engine. Looks just fine to me.

IMG_5026.JPG

IMG_5025.JPG

Figured the tail gear out Bob.

IMG_5024.JPG

Painted all the hydraulic lines with a sharpened toothpick. Now just to go back for some touch up on various things and I will be ready to move on.

In my opinion, these kits and Tamiya's P-47 kits are a close tie for the best overall 1/48 scale kits...

Looking nice!

Haven't built one of the avengers yet but i was looking over the parts and they do look really good! Very well detailed for OOB

Little bit more work down on the interior. Have the parts all glued into the fuselage and basically ready to button her up. I am curious though. The instructions would have you put the turret in almost last. Anybody ever try to do it before the fuselage was closed up? I was thinking about masking it and prepainting the thing and then putting it in first.

IMG_5032.JPG

Got it figured out. When you built yours Bob was it the older terrible instructions? I have another of these kits and it has older instructions that really don't say much on how to fit this piece but this set did say how to do it.

IMG_5033.JPG

IMG_5031.JPG

IMG_5030.JPG

Ahhh...I think the clear part helps the alignment greatly. I was holding off on that till later. guess that's the problem.

Yeah I got the written instructions which are worthless.

Looking good Ryan :drinks

Hey, that's really looking nice (y)

By the way, congratulation on your choice for Zinc chromate green. I know it's a variable color but to me it looks more like what I remember working with than what I see in most builds. :popcorn

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks for the comments guys. Chris I used Vallejo Model Air interior green. So far it seems to be working just fine.

That's what I've been using lately, stuff that looks like ribs and stringers I've been painting one of the zincs but the cockpits have been Vallejo Interior Green. :popcorn

I'll have to try some of the zinc colors out also. I've done a bit more work on her. Decided to try something different from the instruction. I went ahead and put the turret in before I sealed her up. Made sure to test fit everything first since it is an Accurate Miniature kit. Everything will fit just fine.

IMG_5039.JPG

Turret in place and all masked and painted. The sea blue is some of that color of eagles stuff. Sprayed just fine.

IMG_5038.JPG

IMG_5040.JPG

Basic construction is now done. Time for sanding. Don't think I will need any putty though.

IMG_5041.JPG

Back