• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

2018 Plastic Surgeon's Club meetings

Way to go, Roscoe!

:good:

Joe has that typically German expression when confronted with Russian armor. :rotf

:drinks

31 May 2018 Meeting post,
Lets begin with a walk-around of something you don't see just everyday.

h0e6d078.JPG

hd8088a0.JPG

he0889dd.JPG

h4a53c18.JPG

hc25b776.JPG

h8f0ff54.JPG

h4409247.JPG

h3431552.JPG

Ronnie Schultz' 1/1 scale 1937 GMC Paddy Wagon. Mounted on an '80's era Jeep Wagonneer 4X4 Frame.
One of our Members quipped "That makes Her a Fiat!"
I'll never tell WHO! :rotf :rotf
I thought it was cool, Ron gave me permission to play with the vintage Lady. Uncharacteristically, I chose not to.

h834ccd6.JPG

Ron makes 1/25 scale cars too! AMT's 1958 Impala, with a custom roof. See the sun visors? Right where they should be! :v

h00f3ca2.JPG

Perspective shot. Ron, Aimee & Don. See why this photo is fun?

h38ef5a0.JPG

h20f35be.JPG

h9541fb9.JPG

Don Barry's 1/24 Hasegawa VW 23-window Bus. (Don't count! there is actually only 21 winders in Her!)
The doors do open, but on this classic Hasegawa kit, there is little detail on the inside of the doors. AI-Yah!!
Still Very shiny & purty!!

h1f52f43.JPG

More wheels. Trennis Stevens tells all out the Ford GT he made during a Club Make & Take event.
"IT's a Model, NOT a TOY!" :smack It's them little fellers you gotta watch out for.

hda6031e.JPG

TY Stevens 1/35 scale Dragon Maus. Some dickweed sold a shorted 1/35 Maus kit to Junior modeler.
No drive or idler sprockets in it! :stinker :bat
No wonder Ty's having a hard time with his tracks.

hd642239.JPG

Ty telling us about his Maus. I like models. My innate curiousity makes me want to turn them over & peek inside.
The 1/35 Dragon Maus is a hollow Turd. NOTHING on the inside. Zip! Zero! Squat!
Ty's having a good time with it. That's what matters most!

h5421a2c.JPG

h6c481d9.JPG

Papa Nathan Stevens builds "Man Scale" 1/72 Armor. He tells us how these little Hungarian made kits are actually very nice. A teensy Tank model, in a HUMONGOUS box. I could find no fault with Nate's technique for Link & Length tank tracks. Putting it mildly, He just doesn't care much for them.
What does a Hungarian Tank model say after Supper?
"BUuuRRRPPP!"

h9d7c626_2018-05-31.JPG

In my career as a Plastic Surgeon, I had never seen the top of Ray Powers head. He says he grows hair to piss-off bald people. (IT isn't working on ME!)

hd8e2235.JPG

ha3df4b6.JPG

ha5606ee.JPG

Ray is building a DML 1/35 Tiger I "Smart Kit", with Fruilie metal tracks. After trying to interpret the challenging instructions Ray believes there isn't one "Smart" thing about this model.
This will be Tiger tank #131. Ray even modeled the damage at the base of the gun barrel to make his Tiger as accurate as possible. There IS internal detail in Ray's Tiger. I like when there is Stuff inside! :ro:
HINT! Ray puts his Fruil metal tracks together with staples. (NO! He doesn't use a staple gun! SILLY!) :tomato

hb1a5ffa.JPG

Nate Stevens wants us all to know about the interior detail on the IBC Swedish Stridsvagen too! Young Nathan is blossoming into a fine accomplice in Model Maniac silliness!

h42ee7bb.JPG

Francisco is building 2 1/48 scale Battle of Britain airplane models. The Spitfire MkI is a Tamiya kit. The Hurricane Mk.I is a "Fake Tamiya" (Italeri) kit.

h27a7f08.JPG

All Y'all have seen Egg-Kagi's shakedown cruise before. I liked the way the lights in Hobbytown reflected off my fake ocean in front of the wave.
Hint!: if you form the clear resin bow wave into a certain shape, to illustrate a slower speed through the water, and then take it out into Iowa summer temps, the clear resin "remembers" and springs back to it's original shape, making it appear as if She was up to 90 Knots. :hmmm :idonno
I'm unsure how to fix this.
MORE GROG!! :drunk

Here's something I was curious about.

h389150d.JPG

h64d9fdb.JPG

I have learned Gundams have "Pilots" I wanted to learn how big, in scale the Pilot might be.
Mystery solved!! :yipee

We call it a "Club Meeting". Not truly a fib. However, mostly it's a group of Guys with the same hobby, getting together every couple of weeks to razz one another, joke, interrupt, make shameless well-timed movie quips, and screw-off for a couple of hours. Then, return to "Real Life". ZORN! What a World!

Thanks for looking in! Have fun! Buy something you will NEVER Need!
:salute
:eek:ldguy
:pilot

Nice report Chris. Love the expression young Mr. Stevens face, we have a modeler for life there. (y)

Better count those windows again, there's 23. :coolio Hint, the wing windows count...

Looking good to all the Surgeons! Miss youse mugs.

:drinks

12 July Surgeon's club meeting! :yipee :rotf

hbc8e1d7.JPG

hf953606.JPG

h1587185.JPG

hd0e12ae.JPG

h38fab5e.JPG

First, for no good reason at all, Francisco Melendez 1/35 KT. 506 Abt. in the Ardennes. Francisco's figure painting had come a long way. The Infantry are wearing Falling Rain patterned uniforms. The King Tiger crew are in Pea Pattern camo. Francisco hand painted all the uniforms! (y)

h2e2a53d.JPG

h6716c01.JPG

Nathan & Ty Stevens came along. Nate's building 1/72 Model Collect paper Panzers. If I remember correctly, these are both E.50's Popularized by the World of Tanks game. Camouflage them any way you want! They never existed! Have some Panzer fun! I wouldn't expect the intakes & carbs to fit an E.50, in any scale.

ha72084f.JPG

h7daa73f.JPG

Plastic Surgeon's stalwart Tom Hiatt was in town for the BMW Motorcycle rally. He made the meeting, much to the delight of long-time Plastic Surgeon's members. Always good to see Tom. He moved to Chicago-land some time ago!

hdb314b4.JPG

hc64dc4e.JPG

Ron Schultz usually has something interesting to share. He placed well in the Good-Guy's model car contest, and came home with a resin-cast 1/25 GMC Futurliner body. The '69 Pontiac Gran Prix body was neat too!
It was hotter than snake's ass in wagon rut for Good Guy's this season. Right up until the Fairgrounds flash-flooded. (Made a clean spot, Now we have to wash the whole thing :facepalm )

h27a3b55.JPG

h4711ce8.JPG

From the deepest of storied Model archeives, appears a model many of us remember well.
Tom Bly's 1/48 Saab AJ-37 Viggen in her hand masked, airbrushed Swedish splinter camouflage pattern. I seem to recall this is the classic Esci or Heller kit. Special thanks to Don Barry for unearthing the ol' Lady and carrying Her along. Joe Lotz knows the Viggen well and filled in blanks about Swedish aircraft capabilities.
I imagine Viggen was a cast-iron b tch to catch in a turning fight.
There is some discussion about a table at our next contest, to show the workmanship of our honored members that have "Gone West". I have a few of Tom's and Chuck's models.
Why Not?
Thanks for looking in and sharing our Club's fun!

WOW! A pair of Tom's at the same meeting! :frantic Good to see Mr Hiett again and cheers to our dear departed Mr Bly! :drinks

Looks like a swell time was had, damn, how I wish I could have made it! B)

PS, The east side can always stand a good flushing now and again! :rotf

Ron said that GM built 12 (?!) Futurliners and they were made to carry special displays to the world fair, Smithsonian and other long-hair venues.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwoUCNFpfkI
See?!?
The resin body can be found at car shows and on on-line auction sites.

I haven't been to a club meeting in while.
Francisco shared a few photos from the 23 August meeting.

h5e29e3f.jpeg

h03505e9.jpeg

Nate Stevens trying to fit into the Gundam motif of recent meetings.

h6025318.jpeg

Mark Stocker built him a Unimog German Army truck.

Thanks for looking in!

Thursday, 7 September 2018 Meeting!

he157997.JPG

Surgeon's Stalwart, Webb Groos, on the mend from a traumatic back surgery has returned to the Meeting! :yipee

h778e7df.JPG

Two new things happened this Eve. USCGC Point Welcome WPB-82329 in her 1/350 finished guise has come to visit.
In an unexpected display of courage & boldness, My Teresa choose to test her mettle in the arena of Model Maniacs too!

hc5026e8.JPG

h582c14a.JPG

hee2beb0.JPG

h8296381.JPG

After my 6-week summer hiatus from meetings, I was cheered to find so many of my Fellows on hand!

he14084f.JPG

h942f0da.JPG

h9301d59.JPG

Ray Powers built Tamiya's new 1/48 Me109-G6. There are dinky magnets holding the prop & cowling panels on! How cool is that!? Ray liked the new kits poseable flaps, slats & fresh new detail!

h076e82d.JPG

AAHH-Chooo! Gesundheit, Gustav!!

hb2c9d0f.JPG

Nate Stevens, in an uncharacteristic move for a "Scale-snob" is working on Monogram's 1/48 B-17G. She'll be Little Patches in the fullness of time!

h70bfa52.JPG

Kevin came by tonight. He built a Gundam to go along with our other Gumdam modelers. Too bad President Barry missed this meeting.

h61f497e.JPG

Bill & son Zack came as well! Bill's AFV Club gun truck came out dandy, inspite fo being a fiddgety model to make. Meng Kids B-17G's are always fun!

h843d18c.JPG

A candid pose from our Web-mistress! :stinker

h1598fdc.JPG

Joe's Bundeswehr M-47G and 1/48 RAF Ventura in progress.
I'm just not certain about that German Green. :hmmm

Back