• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1958 Edsel Gasser 10-14-18 Engine Details

1958 Edsel Gasser!??

Outstanding job on the hinge mechanism! What a good square fit it is when closed too!!
:dude :ro: :drinks :salute

1958 Edsel Gasser!??

Looks nice, I'd bet those real ones have a quick release on it somewhere to make it easy access. Just sayin'. :popcorn

1958 Edsel Gasser!??

If you look closely just behind the header collector on the red and white Fairlane, you'll see a hood pin. Those hold things in place when closed.

Lots more fabrication to do. :frantic

Thanks for coming by.

:drinks

1958 Edsel Gasser!??

OK, I'm officially sick of hot weather! It's been over 90 degrees F here for almost two weeks and that's really putting a crimp in all things outside, which includes primer and paint. :vmad SO, I decided to peck away at a few of the nagging details that I could fix while indoors.

The body is pretty thick, so I wanted to thin down the fenders to a more scale proportion.

h8bc0902.JPG

hf6373ef.JPG

Break out the Dremel and a small diameter sanding drum and go to it.

h5e86b32.JPG

You can see the difference from the left side to the right. Much more believable.

I've had this pack of Detail Master aluminum Moon tanks for a very long time, in fact they went missing for quite awhile. :huh:

h01109e9.JPG

Detail Master parts are high quality and look pretty convincing.

hc6d1231.JPG

h78393fa.JPG

h47e566f.JPG

Careful prep and bending, followed by Dr Mike's thin CA and there you go. I drilled the tank prior to assembly for the fuel lines, easier to clamp just the tank.

More to come, still thrashing away at it. Thanks for dropping by.

1958 Edsel Gasser!??

Nice job Mike. Love the moon tank (y)

I believe your displeasure about the hot weather has been noted. :coolio

Cheers, Christian

1958 Edsel Gasser!??

Let me know when the DAK Hurricane party starts, so I can join in vicariously!!
:side:

1958 Edsel Gasser!??

Let me know when the DAK Hurricane party starts, so I can join in vicariously!!
:side:

Go ahead . Turn the fan on high and step into the shower.....Waiting on anything else is pointless :drinks

1958 Edsel Gasser!??

Thanks guys! The hurricane party is tomorrow night, with or without the storm. :laugh: I've been getting things in order in case it happens as advertised, but plan to make the most of any available bench time this weekend. Hoping the lights stay on, things could get out of hand in a hurry.

1958 Edsel Gasser!??

Alrighty then! It's Saturday morning and ol' Flo is still clumping toward us. It's been windy all night, no rain yet, but that will change toward noon (SWAG). I'm making the most of bench time with electricity, got a little primer shot and built a radiator. I tried some new resin parts, it looks to be a nice rendition of a racing radiator.

h446fcc2.JPG

The pieces are nicely detailed and they require a little sanding.

h41da3f8.JPG

hdbd6e8f.JPG

I added a PE radiator cap and a short section of aluminum tube for the filler neck.

hf611c5f.JPG

h8fc9a61.JPG

h2f5e3df.JPG

More to come, thanks for hanging around. It gon' rain!

1958 Edsel Gasser!??

No rain here yet but that's probably the most accurate radiator i've ever seen. (y)

1958 Edsel Gasser Working On The Details!??

Thanks for taking time to comment, Pup and Rhino. I can always count on you guys for feedback. Car builds always seem to be endless prep, fabrication and mock up and this one is no exception. Whacking up a hefty sedan and building an all out drag car takes some MASSage. :mpup I did get some parts painted despite the rain and humidity.

hcd2d765.JPG

hf2d7ec7.JPG

h8c711e7.JPG

Chassis and floor pan painted and mocked up with the seat to see where things line up. Let's see if the egine fits. :eek:hyeah

hc80cc5b.JPG

I added some bolt heads to the transmission to bell housing, made from styrene sheet and my hex punch.

hf5535f2.JPG

That cool seat was screaming for some better seat belts. It's amazing how many more choices there are for small scale aircraft, but hardly any for model car kits. I ordered a set of Pro-Tech from Ted's Modeling Marketplace, they shipped it quickly and the parts are quite cool.

hf6b125f.JPG

hcbf59c9.JPG

I ordered some seat belt material from Pro-Tech, but it was too thick. :blink I rummaged around and found the red envelope from an old Christmas card (see why I don't throw things away?}. It was a perfect color and when cut to width, fit the buckles very well. I used 3M Quick Dry adhesive to set things in place. Good reference photos help get the straps where they need to be.

hab68b1b.JPG

h6523f32.JPG

I'll install them after the seat location is determined. I'm still pecking away at the various sub assemblies, it's been too hot and humid to paint the shiny stuff on the body, so stay tuned.

Thanks for coming by, much more to come.

1958 Edsel Gasser Working On The Details!??

Seat belts? you trying to say these cars are not safe? :rotf

Put the hammer down...:popcorn

Back