• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/48th Bandai King Tiger

heaa178d.JPG

ha895295.JPG

h4171bc6.JPG

h7a58a8c.JPG

h7bca44e.JPG

he154fbc.JPG

he3adff5.JPG

This Panther is a really old Monogram kit.

Managed to get the 88mm rounds painted installed. Removed the ammo racks from the turret. I've read several sources that the spare ammo was removed from the turret after a KT in Russia blew up after being hit in the turret. Now I have to figure out what to place in there. Also drilled hole for handles on various hatches.
Took some pics with other tanks for size comparison. The Jagpanther never was completed. I'll havr to work on that. Gary S.

Thanks. The Monogram Panther was my first armor model of what I call my modern era of tank building. It's a combination of types that could be called a remanufactured Aust A with G upgrades. It was started as we were watching the World Series when an earthquake hit SF in 1989. I showed it to a patient of mine who was in the 8th Panzer Div. near Leningrad. He gave me the best complement when he said "They looked just like that!!" Gary S.

hebdcaac.JPG

Applied a burnt sienna wash/filter to the red to brown it up a little (missed the rear bulk head). A black was to the gun and other parts.

h39de896.JPG

Added lift rings to the turret and handles to the hatches. Gary S.

I better start looking at more people's work as it is inspiring and allows me to reminisce!

Way back I started non-aircraft models with the Airfix ground support sets. Then went to the Airfix bagged armor (the Japanese Ha-Go and Centurion being my favorites) until I realized they are 1/76th scale. A visit to the hobby shop meant coming home with Hasegawa 72nd scale items which were nice but expensive for a kid.

Woolworth's sold ESCI kits for $0.88USD. This meant that my dollar allowance covered running over ten minutes to the store at top speed on Saturday mornings, picking out a kit, paying for it ($0.95USD with sales tax) and buying a 5 cent jaw breaker for the energy to run home!

Later, I had a job so the hobby shop trips were more often and I fell in love with the Bandai kits. I still had a few when I moved out of Brooklyn to the mountains. Chad owns them now.

Regards,

h25fdd94.JPG

The turret and bow needed guns. The kit only supplied the barrel of the bow gun. So I used gasket sealer to make some molds of a gun from another kit. Only one side of the gun will be visible. The rt. side for the turret gun and the lt. side the bow gun. The will be made from left over floor leveling epoxy. Gary S.

hfc95655.JPG

hce6ed6b.JPG

hcd4363e.JPG

I needed to flat coat my Sturmovick so I figured I'd put some red primer on the KT while I had the AB out. I added some more MM military brown to the mix. In my haste I forgot to go back and paint the rear deck and rear of the turret. Get out the brush later. Gary S. :facepalm

h68e0819.JPG

hcea3ba3.JPG

This is the Mg-34 I made from resin for the bow gun.

h50bf4ff.JPG

Thinned down the side skirts. One side is done here and one not for comparison.

hc4cac7a.JPG

The turret and hull is finally glued together. Thanks for looking. Gary S.

hf16ad3d.JPG

h989982d.JPG

Mixed up these craft paints plus a valero color called Iraq desert to get a decent panzer yellow. Goes on well in thin coats thinned with water over the primmer.(1/2 inch flat brush used). Now back to the schwimwagen. Gary S.

hf16ad3d_2017-03-05.JPG

h989982d_2017-03-05.JPG

Mixed up these craft paints plus a valero color called Iraq desert to get a decent panzer yellow. Goes on well in thin coats thinned with water over the primmer.(1/2 inch flat brush used). Now back to the schwimwagen. Gary S.

Back