• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Vallejo Surface Primer

TomN

I've heard good things about this stuff...anything I need to know
before I pour some in the airbrush and pull the trigger?

Thanks, Tom

I like it very much, goes on well.

Review on page 2

https://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/face-it/86811-re-stug-iv-late-better-late-than-never?limit=8&start=16#87140

So far, I like it quite well. I think it goes on just a little thick but I have thinned it with a bit of X-20A . It covers real well and I like the fact that it now comes in different colors.
It will also mix with other vallejo shades if you need to have something different.

Other than that just point it away from you prior to pushing the trigger.

Bob, I still cannot speak on the tape test yet.

Cheers, Christian B)

I need to try these paints- Vallejo paints are acrylics right?

yes beside some alcohol based metal tones they all water based acrylics.

I only have use the gray one and it works pretty well for me even thinned at about 50%: I thin it with a window cleaner like all my water based acrylics.

I did a review a little while back.
https://www.modelersalliance.com/aftermarket/77-others/508-vallejo-primer

Dont know if that will help any.
James

Thanks guys, so I point it away from my face before pulling the trigger...check.

Ah yes James, now I remember seeing your review...it's what got me thinking about Vallejo primer.

Most helpful, thank you.

Tom

Just as an added guys, their paints for airbrushing called "Model Air" are about as good in an airbrush as any Enamal I have ever used. Mixed with their Satin or Gloss varnish gives by far the best finish I have ever had. And to boot they have just about every RLM, FS and any other number ever made - that are extremely accurate.

geoff

I just bought the WWII Luftwaffe 1 set and by every account these are really nice. The guy at the LHS speaks highly of them and even though he has tons of MM Acryl & PollyS he is encouraging us to buy the Vallejo. I have been playing with it on the junk models and like it.

I too as a recent Convert ! I started with Their Black & Love th way it shoots. I add a touch of Their Thinner to it & it goes on like a Dream. I have since picked up a few more of Their Primer colors - The Dunkel & Panzer Grey. I recently shot My "Wittmann's Last Tiger " in th Dunkel , & have just now shot a Kubelwagon in Their Panzer Grey !! It goes on great , plus - since using the Primer as th Base colors, it takes a step out of th process & I can then come back & shoot highlights , Color Mods, etc . Plus these colors act as a Great Pre-Shade !!

DSC08465.JPG

Shot in th Dunkel Primer

DSC08468.JPG

After adding just only highlights !!

Thanks for the pics Erik, it is cool that they come in colors, kinda like paint and primer all in one.
They seem to sell out quick at Sprue Bros.

I have some Vallejo Model Color thinner, will that work to thin the primers?

Thanks'
Tom

Tom that's exactly th same thinner that I use. The 17ml bottle with th Black cap ! I've played around with th mix a little. Once you get it ... You Got it !

Sprue Brothers is Great . Have you tried to tick th box for Notify Me when it's in ? I've done that a few times & in some cases .. it's been about a week & I get a note from S.B. that that item is in.

I think it's Genius that Vallejo has brought out a lot of different colors ... They also have an Olive Drab , British Brown/Green ( IIRC) , The German Afrika Korps' Brown/Green There are still a few more that I'd like to get.

I picked up their colour chart at the LHS...

Don't the have sets for the RAF and USAAF? I picked up the RLM 1 set... love it!

Thanks Erik
Yes, I've used the tick box. I noticed that they got a bunch of the primers in, by the time I got off my butt to
order some a lot of the colors were sold out already.

Tom

You could try Mid-Tenn who has the 60ml bottles for only $6.75USD... (don't ask how some colors got sold out right BEFORE this announcement :)):

Click image to go shopping for what is left!
:rotf

Regards,

Zombie post! I just tried this stuff- and am truly dissappointed. :vmad It does sand- just tears up. don't try to glue anything to it- it will just tear right up. It's some kind of latex, like animation cell paints. Great for picking out details- but as a primer it's a stinker. Strip with 91% rubbing alcohol and use Mr Surfacer instead.

I make mistakes so you don't have to!
chuk

Back