• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Trabant Group B Rally 1/87 (What-if)

V8Val

Hello Everyone,

Here's the project I've spent most time on over the past two years. About a decade ago, I got some simple Modelltec S.E.S 1/87 Trabant kits, they were a set of five cars that I built right away. My lack of skills back then had me put one together very badly, and another ended up in a vacuum cleaner a short while later. So I was sitting there in late 2009 and wondered what the heck I should do with those wrecks. As I've been a huge fan of the Group B rally monsters of the 1980s and always wanted to tune a model car, I decided to combine those two things with my Trabant wrecks and got to work. Using a tube frame, this car shall get a turbocharged 1.8 liter inline-4 Lada powerplant with around 300 hp, as put in the never-to-compete Lada Samara EVA rally prototype.
Of course, such a project needs a name: Trabant Sport 601 T16

Scratchbuilt roll cage and the first body with the structural base of the widebody kit:
siderd.jpg

This was then shaped with putty, applying it at least 5 times...
28635944.jpg

...and sanded to smoothness:
kitison.jpg

kitison2.jpg

The second body also received a bodykit, albeit a tad larger - that one will be the "Evolution" model
white2k.jpg

Meanwhile, the interiors were prepared (all modifications were scratchbuilt)
interiorhax.jpg

shiftstick.jpg

Of course, an interior is pointless without a dashboard, so I scratched one and applied instruments that I cut from a 1/72 Revell Germany Hurricane IIb's instrument panel decal and some cockpit decals of a 1/144 An-124 I had to scrap because a friend rushed the build too much.

dashboardsv.jpg

Also, the bodies finally received their spoilers. A lack of stability at high speeds on narrow roads.. somehow, that's not what drivers would like. Here's what the bodies and everything below look like now after the acquisition and adaption of two sets of aftermarket Herpa wheels.

currentyg.jpg

The original windows of these kits cannot be reused - they're far too thick to even fit them in with a roll cage, so I'm now preparing to do some vacuforming. No idea if these copies created using air-drying ceramic modeling clay will be any good for that, but they seem to fit in nicely.

testfit.jpg

Comments, Criticism, Suggestions: all welcome as usual!

Thanks for looking,
Val

Val, you must have the same banker as Terry, dealing in those big coins!! :laugh: (y)

Those are a couple of interesting looking Rally style racers. Very nice indeed. That might be something interesting to try in 1/24-25 scale. I'm not sure if I could find a kit of one of them at this time anyway.

Dave W.

Back