• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

The latest Something I 've been doing.........2x WW1 Planes finished 22nd April '23

:dude
Thanks for the follow on this post guys......sorry for the delay in responding.

Glad that you all like the build, especially the weathering, it seems I have hit the mark. I am really enjoying this one and I have been doing a fair bit of experimentation on the ground work also.
Thanks for all the great responses and for continuing to follow my posts, the feedback is always appreciated.

Piet, thank you very much. I am very happy that I can still pull some weathering out of the bag that keeps you interested and impressed.

I will move the rest of this diorama to its own post, so please see the KV2 post for the completion thread.

Ian.

Some new work -
My DML slammer.....OOTB. No extras except some recycled PE track guards (Aber). This is the old DML kit - built for a friend. It will be going on a small base, inside a ruined building. It felt good to just get one done quickly for a change.
20210913_135016.jpg
I still need to put the mounting nuts on the guards and the gap in the rear deck will get covered/filled when it goes on the base. Right track too close to the hull at the back - didn't adjust the rear wheel properly.
Sanded down the pitting on the hull sides and added a Tamiya bucket with a dent and copper wire handle. Also added the missing front headlight wire.
Slampanzer done!
20210914_131516.jpg
20210914_131544.jpg20210914_131611.jpg
20210914_131448.jpg

I gave it a yellow and red brown cammo with a grey primer barrel. I liked the idea of the barrel and the cammo was from an AK reference. I am not sure if any Hunting Tigers were delivered with the barrel left in Grey primer as many other late war German tanks were. Also, I saw someone else do one like this and liked the look.
OK , found out there were definately Hunting Tigers that went out to units and into combat with the barrels left in Grey Primer :vgood:.

This one was not a super serious build. Same with the decals, just used the ones in the kit that were not listed to any unit. Found out that a Hunting Tiger numbered 314 was part of Pz. Abt. 653. It was in the same cammo but was an early production vehicle with the Porsche suspension.
It was a practice build for my Takom kit anyway which appears to be a better kit. What do you guys know about the Takom Kit?
20200504_221506.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Ian - I think I saw that the molded in weld details on the front superstructure plate do not line upon the Takom kit. Otherwise its supposedly a pretty good kit.

Mike
:popcorn

Well done Ian, love how instead of getting bogged down correcting something you throw eye candy at it as a distraction. :tens:
Thanks MP. :) That was pretty much the approach.
Get 'er done and don't get bogged down.
Get the paint right and it should look as good as if it had all the gear (at a glance). Really happy you saw it the same way:love:

I am working on the base now - re-vamping a base I created for a JS2 years ago that then got swapped to hold my Frankenstein King Tiger that will never go any further, so it will now be finalised for the Hunting Tiger for my friend. The general rubble has been created and some maskol laid down over the cobblestone. Then I have started on the base colors and some shadows.....at about 50%at this point. A lot more to do on the rubble and the colors of the building. I am enjoying this as I have had vitually no practice on a diorama with a building for some years now......i used to do them a lot but they have slipped by the wayside and its time to change that:hmm:
The texture of the rubble is good so the paint should go well.
stage 1a.jpg
stage 1b.jpg
stage 1.jpg
stage 2.jpg
stage 2a.jpgstage 2b.jpgstage 2c.jpg

So the base for this scene is basically finished now and I would like to show you the transition in a new post here in the Sprue University section of MA.

Last edited:
Well my latest 'off topic ' thingo is a 120mm figure. :blink.
Yeah, well I'm certainly not a figure guy, so this was an interesting challenge for me. It came to me as a commission - a Napoleonic figure from the Russian campaign in December of 1812, done by Andrea. It is one of their classic white metal castings and is quite well detailed but being white metal and in many parts it needed a lot of cleanup to match up the pieces.
I started with gluing the main body minus the small detals, base coating in black Tamiya acrylic, then giving it lighting from the top with airbrushed Tamiya white acrylic.
20230207_170253.jpg20230207_170238.jpg20230207_170231.jpg20230207_170246.jpg
Then used acrylics from Vallejio with an AK Wet Pallet and paint retarder to lay down all the basic colors in very thin semi transparent coats (glazing) to achieve the basic shadows and highlights. I then added some textures to the coat and the base, then moved on and painted the smaller details in a more traditional way and attached them, finishing with weathering effects using artists oils and pigments.
I screwed the metal base to a wooden figure base I had handy and used Tamiya and AK products to create the ground effects

20230207_170242.jpg20230207_170256.jpg
It's no figure comp. winner but I did enjoy it and it was a pleasant change from my other projects.
20230225_160054.jpg20230225_160318.jpg20230225_160131.jpg20230225_160450.jpg20230225_161323.jpg20230225_160256.jpg20230225_164138.jpg20230225_164759.jpg
He lost a staggeringnumber of troops during this campaign so I have included a classic graphic that shows just how bad it was for Napoleon during his 'Retreat from Moscow'.
size-army-Napoleon-campaign-retreat-lines-advance-1869.jpg

My next commission is a Napoleonic cannon in the Spanish campaign earlier the same year. This will be a much dryer and warmer scene so we will see what becomes of that.

Last edited:
Back