• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

PART 6 COMPLETED BUILD Mk7c/41 U-Boat Diorama 1945 [Revell #05045 - 1/72]

:drtumbs

Can we have a close up of the water running off the hull? And how did you do this effect?

Cheers! :mpup

Hi John,
here are some shots and explanations.

IMG_1483_zpscdff7ff8.jpg

Here are the paints I used and the specific brush.
The brush is a 1/4 Takion Rake.
The white pigment was mixed with Tamiya thinner, and other effects with fixative, and others with Tamiya gloss white acrylic.
The oils were thinned and painted straight on for the more defined, larger trails over the ballast tanks, making sure that I went over these a number of times but left some quite translucent.

Once these were dry I coated the whole model with TAMIYA clear and added a gloss finish.
I also made a number of mixes with Tamiya acrylic white + pigment, as well as thinned Tamiya white plus Tamiya clear gloss.
All of the detailed effects requiring very fine detail /lines were done with the white artist oils and a very fine small pointed brush..
I will also add a section of staged photos over the whole build shortly, after this detailed section is complete.
Photo's
I always hate taking these close Macro shots of paint because this is closer than even your natural eye can see so the effects look really awful. :(

The water run over the ballast is shown in close-up with these 2 shots. As explained above they were done with a number of layers with some left very translucent while others were highlighted with a fine brush and very strong white oil paint.
The wide areas are done with the rake and the pooled white is done through building up a mix of Tamiya gloss + Tamiya clear Acrylics.

IMG_1477_zpsbdec0ce2.jpg

Some parts have a slight brown tinge over the whole area of the uboat. This was to give the impression of the hul color through the finer water.
IMG_1478_zpsa9d6fb7c.jpg

IMG_1470_zps26a13fae.jpg

This was done with very thick Tamiya white gloss mixed with Tamiya clear and applied like a wash - 2-3 coats.

IMG_1471_zpsce147f43.jpg

Water drips with oils on a very fine brush.

a3bc314a-045e-4f3f-a1fb-903da129e6e8_zpsb7f8d56e.jpg

Here you can see a close up of the Takion Rake brush - notice that it is missing over half the bristles at full length. This is what allows you to get the streaming effect , combined with very thick but fluid suspended white medium.

IMG_1467_zps204eaa27.jpg

The blown, streaming water under the effect of the ocean wind was done with a fine brush and diluted oils - just takes a steady hand knowing the effect you want before hand in your minds eye.

IMG_1466_zps983c76ea.jpg

Wave splash over the life boat containers was done in the same way as the pooling around the conning tower - just make sure that you don't apply it over everything - less is more in this case. Plenty of gloss applied as well afterwards.

IMG_1465_zps1f67170b.jpg

Front deck - pooling done as stated. Water 'crazing over the wooden planks and falling in between done with the takion rake and highly diluted white oils - dilution was done with artists linseed oil. The white water in the snorkel cavity was done the same as the pooling effect , just using a thicker mix and applying the effect about 10 times.

Regards
Ian.

Just fantastic, Ian! You have left this mere mortal in awe, but inspired to learn more. :notworthy :notworthy B)

Shalom.

This is beyond being AWESOME! Those low level macro shots of the finished boat look like fish eye views. Like what sailors in the water would see.

Thanks for sharing and also the step by step photos.

Cheers

Dude, fab-tab-u-louse! :yipee That is 100 times over the top and I love it! I have a sub that has been sitting waiting for paint for over a year, I just didn't know what to do with it, but now I do!!!!!

:drtumbs

B)
Thanks Tankbuilder and John.
Glad to see i have had an effect on your thinking for a new model - always a thrill to have had an influence through excitement of the viewer.

Ian.

Fabulous- amazing- mind-boggling! What more can I add, Ian- this is a real masterwork. Your "time-lapse" series makes me want to grab a plank, a model, and start slapping down modeling paste. It looked like a hulk stranded in a desert before you painted it, but now it's rolling the fury of the North Atlantic! The worn colors of the deck add a touch of warm contrast to the icy blue of the deep water.

Salute!
chuk

Fabulous- amazing- mind-boggling! What more can I add, Ian- this is a real masterwork. Your "time-lapse" series makes me want to grab a plank, a model, and start slapping down modeling paste. It looked like a hulk stranded in a desert before you painted it, but now it's rolling the fury of the North Atlantic! The worn colors of the deck add a touch of warm contrast to the icy blue of the deep water.

Salute!
chuk

:blush: :) :dude
Thanks Chuck. ..............and for me that's a big compliment from an artist who really gets color and form - thanks mate. :geek

Ian.

...impressive...amazing...the colors contrast is fabulous...one of the best works that I´ve ever seen :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

:drinks

...really it´s a pleasure to watch a work like this...THANK YOU!!!!

Luiz.

...impressive...amazing...the colors contrast is fabulous...one of the best works that I´ve ever seen :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

:drinks

...really it´s a pleasure to watch a work like this...THANK YOU!!!!

Luiz.

Wow, thanks Luiz.
Once again I am not sure what to say but thanks mate ! You are another color master who knows the palette, so your compliment means a great deal (thanks to the other great painters who commented as well as you are all modelers that I learn from).
:) :blush:

Ian.

:) FINAL CHAPTER

Hi everyone......the last word from me on this post.
On the weekend the Australian Model Expo 2013 had it's annual show, being the largest model show in Australia it is always a treat, with lots of great models to see, traders to buy from and the main competition that tests all the modelers out from around Australia and overseas.
I threw my hat in the ring again for 2013, my last was in 2011 (17cm Grille) and gave my U-Boat a chance to compete.
Came away with People's choice, the show's Wow Factor Award 2013, second in my category and the prize for the best ship model 1/350 & larger (this was a real thrill as I won an original painting on canvas, from Randal Wilson of one of his recent Trumpeter Box art paintings for their battleship series box tops.
So a good show from one model. :dance
Here is a shot with the stuff I won and just one showing the perspex cover that was finished for me on Friday

IMG_1490_zps27710cca.jpg

IMG_1495_zps42a6b6e9.jpg

Ian.

Very well deserved awards!! Congrats!!

I am a little puzzled that they'd give you 2nd in the category but still get Best Ship. Must have been a hell of a model to get 1st place of your sub!

Back