• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Mitsubishi/IAI/Atlas F-2B+

ij001

Kit - Hasegawa Mitsubishi F-2B & Italeri F-16D 'Barak'
Paint - Humbrol, Tamiya & Xtracolour enamels, Tamiya acrylics, Alclad II lacquer
Decals - Kit & Eagle Strike 'Mirage F-1's part 2'
Extras - Damocles pod, MICA missiles & rails from RoG Rafale, etc etc, far too many to mention !!. Communication aerials, RWR nodes, GPS dome all scratchbuilt.

Mitsubishi/IAI/Atlas F-2+
3 Squadron, SAAF,
Waterkloof AFB, Gauteng

F21_zps369dad23.jpg

F22_zpsa3cdb1bf.jpg

F23_zpsddc44db4.jpg

F24_zpsf74ae4b5.jpg

F25_zps5026ac84.jpg

F26_zps46bc50f3.jpg

F28_zpsd42a7ef5.jpg

F27_zps5de2408b.jpg

So, that's that, then. Really enjoyed every minute of this project - except for the couple of days when I thought I'd lost the windshield :angry:

And before anybody jumps-in, I know the exhaust isn't finished, but I've got an 'Alclad session' scheduled for later in the week !! As ever, happy to take any questions, comments, suggestions and criticism. Next I'll be finishing (another) 'What If' project, a Greek AF Rafale http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,36341.0.html and my 'real world' RF-4, before opening up either an F/A-18 or a Eurofighter :eek:.

AFN

Ian

Just read more on the F-2b than I ever thought I wanted to know but interesting anyway.

Not much I can say besides SPECTACULAR and interesting topic . Thank you !

Cheers, Christian B)

That's a what if? Looks plausible to me.

One of my 'rules' when building these, is to keep them in spitting-distance of reality. It's so easy to go a long way down the imagination road and then take the diversion onto fantasy highway. By keeping it 'within the bounds' that makes me work a little harder, less opportunity for expedient short-cuts.

Not sure if I explained that too well :beer

Ian

Clear as mud to me . The real one looks so much like an F-16 without the canopy it's hard to tell a difference. :idonno

To make my question quite clear, does this model dimensionally like an F-2B or just a sexy F-16 D with a different paint job ?

Cheers, Christian B)

OK, Christian, good question. The answer is still a little muddy though :blush: It's a Mitsubishi F-2B, with the avionics/mission hump from the Italeri F-16D kit. My thinking (in no particular order), was:

1 Wouldn't it look cool ?
2 Who would use it ?
3 Who could afford it ?
4 Is it feasible ?
5 (probably most importantly), can I build it and do it justice ?

The real world F-2 has around 70% commonality with the late block F-16's but that 30% difference is really noticeable, the bigger trapazoid wings and deeper nose contours really change the 'feel' of the whole machine. I just tried to make it more different again !!

Best

Ian

Well thanks . Even though I was around the F-16's for several years they have changed a great deal.

I still would have a hard time telling these too apart if the glass was off of it and the airframe were not side by side.

Thanks, Christian B)

Chris the F-2 is a good deal larger than the F-16.
F2andF16.png

The biggest tell tail is the multi part canopy.

Great looking jet Ian! :) Hope you will do more WWII era stuff instead of these jets. :cheer:

Matrixone

Thanks for that friend, appreciate it. Will do my very best, Les, I foresee a P-47N and possibly a Me509 sometime this year ;)

Ian

Back