• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

How about the Vietnam-era?

Rattler wrote:
Lucky... bummer bout the blade though... I've thought bout casting some parts from a scape kit I've got to the huey 32nd that is.. but still not sure bout it.. don't wanna cross any legal fields if ya know what I mean.

Lots of people cast parts from a kit for their own use. I guess that is technically not allowed but I think it's okay as long as the parts are for your own use. An example of that is the vinyl tires in may kits. A lot of people cast them in resin because as the tire ages over the years it can split. The Tamiya LRDG truck tires are notorious for that.

Cheers from Peter

Tankbuilder wrote:
General Zod wrote:
I am doing either an M110 8 inch sp howitzer,or an M38A1 Jeep with a 106mm recoiless rifle.

Hey there General!

Which M-110 kit do you have? Is it a1/35 scale Italeri M-110 A1 or is it the 1/35 scale Italeri M-110 A2 with the muzzle brake? I have one of each. If you need ammo for it AFV Club makes a really nice set of 155mm/203mm Ammo with some brass shells as well as the styrene shells and decals for shell markings.

Cheers from Peter

Peter
I have the short barrel version of the M110.

Tankbuilder wrote:
Hi there.

Because I got another 1/32 scale Revell Huey UH-1D Gunship kit I will be resurrecting an idea I had for a Vietnam Era diorama. This is an old idea of mine that was put on hold until I repaired my 1/32 scale Revell Huey UH-1D Slick. I was thinking that this would be a nice diorama for this group build since nothing for my planned diorama was ever done *EXCEPT* the Huey Slick. Could I build the new 1/32 scale Revell Huey Gunship kit for this group build but use the troop seats I salvaged from my busted Huey Slick? Or would that be a violation of the rules?

Thanks and cheers from Peter

If you pull the seats that's fine, But the build should be fresh unbuilt kit. Subject to being overruled by those who run the GBs.

moon puppy wrote:
Tankbuilder wrote:
Hi there.

Because I got another 1/32 scale Revell Huey UH-1D Gunship kit I will be resurrecting an idea I had for a Vietnam Era diorama. This is an old idea of mine that was put on hold until I repaired my 1/32 scale Revell Huey UH-1D Slick. I was thinking that this would be a nice diorama for this group build since nothing for my planned diorama was ever done *EXCEPT* the Huey Slick. Could I build the new 1/32 scale Revell Huey Gunship kit for this group build but use the troop seats I salvaged from my busted Huey Slick? Or would that be a violation of the rules?

If you pull the seats that's fine, But the build should be fresh unbuilt kit. Subject to being overruled by those who run the GBs.

So long as it is not excessive, there is no problem if you use one or two pieces from a previously built kit. Or similarly a figure or two from previous work to go with the base kit would also be acceptable. But one or two pieces is about the limit. Then you begin to go beyond the concept of the group build.

Gary B)

G Cooper wrote:
moon puppy wrote:
Tankbuilder wrote:
Hi there.

So long as it is not excessive, there is no problem if you use one or two pieces from a previously built kit. Or similarly a figure or two from previous work to go with the base kit would also be acceptable. But one or two pieces is about the limit. Then you begin to go beyond the concept of the group build.

Gary B)

Hi there and thanks.

All I want to use from that busted Slick are the two bench seats in the cargo area. One seat is one piece and the other is two pieces. Everything else will be form the new kit. If the new kit was the Slick instead of the Gunship I wouldn't need those seats. Hmm? I wonder if I can find some images of Slicks without the bench seats in the cargo area but with troops aboard. That would remove any chance of being unfair in the group build.

Cheers from Peter

Peter,

there are alot of snaps of the slicks with the bench gone...I may have some.. or do the normal an hit up good ole google. Even a few Nam related movies also show the birds with the bench removed also. Hope this helps alil

Chris

Rattler wrote:
Peter,

there are alot of snaps of the slicks with the bench gone...I may have some.. or do the normal an hit up good ole google. Even a few Nam related movies also show the birds with the bench removed also. Hope this helps alil

Chris

Hi there.

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't put much faith in theatrical war films but I'm sure Google will turn up some images of Slicks that don't have the cargo seats. After all many UH-1D Slicks had the small side doors just aft of the cockpit removed for easier boarding and egress.

Cheers from Peter

I will agree hollywood sure does like to add dazels an such to the military films, couple shots in Platoon showed the cargo seat removed as well as the side doors, Apocalypse Now was another that showed the cargo seat an doors removed, if I'm not mistaken while Apoclypse was being filmed.. I can't recall which country but there was a conflict going on about and lot of times the hueys and loach's were called away. Those 2 movies are probly the only 2 I'd base something from, but that's MHO. Looking forward to seeing this slick come to life Peter.

Rattler wrote:
I will agree hollywood sure does like to add dazels an such to the military films, couple shots in Platoon showed the cargo seat removed as well as the side doors, Apocalypse Now was another that showed the cargo seat an doors removed, if I'm not mistaken while Apoclypse was being filmed.. I can't recall which country but there was a conflict going on about and lot of times the hueys and loach's were called away. Those 2 movies are probly the only 2 I'd base something from, but that's MHO. Looking forward to seeing this slick come to life Peter.

Ah Apocalypse Now. That was a very interesting film. Especially when they had the Huey freighting the PBR. PBR's are just a bit beyond a single engine Huey's lift capacity. I think I'll probably do my Huey Gunship as a Slick sans bench seats.

I can always have some Preventative Medicine (ammo) in the cargo area.

Cheers from Peter

everybody loves ammo... nothing like belt fed loven

yeah that scene was a trip to say the least LOL

MrT wrote:
DioRandy wrote:
Awesome!
I'll be good to go as soon as the last couple of packages arrive in the mail.
What's everybody planning to build?
Peace, Love and a big THANK YOU
Randy

Well let's see I have:
M42 Duster
M113(early)
M48A3

I just don't know????? :hmmm

Terry B)

How about it Terry, Tom you chimmed in also. Ya in ya out???

moon puppy wrote:
MrT wrote:
DioRandy wrote:
Awesome!
I'll be good to go as soon as the last couple of packages arrive in the mail.
What's everybody planning to build?
Peace, Love and a big THANK YOU
Randy

Well let's see I have:
M42 Duster
M113(early)
M48A3

I just don't know????? :hmmm

Terry B)

How about it Terry, Tom you chimmed in also. Ya in ya out???

Oh alright Nag...Nag...Nag...
How about :hmmm the m113 early yeah that's the ticket.

Terry B)

Back