• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

German 8 ton halftrack WINCH/

Tankbuilder

I have the old Tamiya German 8 ton halftrack in 1/35 scale to pair with my 88mm flak gun.

The round disk gizmo under the chassis at the rear seems to me to be a winch. Is that correct? If so how big was the diameter of the real cable?

BTW, did the 88mm carriages use a cable to lower and raise the gun platform from/to the carriage? Tamiya gives smooth vinyl tubing but I think it'd been steel cables in real life. Is steel cable what was used?

Thanks and cheers from Peter

The reel is the winch reel yes. I think it was 1 inch cable, but I dont have my refs here. I think the rubber tube is for pneumatics?
James

The rubber tube is to simulate the electric cables used to connect the gun to the telemeter and powersupply, a little bit thick so maybe use something else more true to size.
Not sure how they fitted the platform to the wheels but i think it was done manually without wires.
//Mats

Back