• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Anyone familiar with Resistance Soldering?

I have an American Beauty as well but haven't used it yet. John, do you remember when I almost stepped on it?

I did read the instructions though! Let's see if we can get a video tutorial out of John on how he uses his!
:hmmm

Regards,

Quick explanation-

http://resistancesoldering.com/site/

I have heard of it- but as a plumber have never used it. Soldering without fire will only work if the pipe is 100% dry - of course this doesn't concern pieces on a bench. near 30 years of sweating pipe will teach ya.

Consider flow temps. Standard roll 95/5 solder will flow at about 350 F. 15% Silfoss runs at 1250 and hardens like a rock quickly- the higher percentages take a higher heat. duh- sorry I'm preaching to the choir for the most part. But some may not know.

I know the purpose of this post above is to do this with the thinner brass pieces and solder the size of a toothpick, but this method will also allow you to braze small(5/8 od and less) pipe.

Pretty well all of my soldered pieces have resisted my soldering :D I have one, but havent yet tried it, maybe 1 day. Do not use with electronics though or you'll fry em.
James

some small things you can sweat with a Bic lighter- just use a rubber band to hold the switch and set it down. most important things are cleaning and using the right type of flux. And remember, the heat comes from the fire yes, BUT it runs through the pipe, rail whatever. Just heat and test with solder then back off the heat-- to much heat can burn the object and boil the flux out then you have something that looks like a bruise and the solder rolls up and off into your lap. Be safe, take your time.

Back