• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Airfix Surprise Release

RichB

Airfix has just annouced the release of a 1:24 Spitfire VIII. It will include markings for three aircraft, the box art scheme for "Grey Nurse" of Sqn Ldr Bruce Watson , 457 Sqn RAAF, Scheme B is from 152 (Hyderabad) Sqn RAF, Burma, and Scheme C is from 307th FS, 31st FG USAAF in Italy.

Spit VIII A.jpg

Spit VIII B.jpg

New parts included to make it a Mk VIII include new upper and lower wings with short span ailerons, retractable tailwheel and revised instrument panel.

Cheers,
RichB

Strangely the Airfix MK IX that this model is based on completely passed me by, i bought it, i built it and now it collects dust.and i would rather forget it...
I cant tell you why i didnt like it ? maybe the scale was just too big for me, maybe because it was a Mk IX, maybe it caught me at a bad time but it just left me cold and yet it had all the makings of a great model.

I think the Mk1, 1a and the MkII were thoroughbreds. Designed by a genius , beautiful engineering and of their time...
the later models were really bastardized to fill a need, chop the wing tips off, lengthen the nose change the fin, multiple different wings and each modification took it further away from the original design. of course development on the go in war time is essential but i also think the ME109 suffered the same fate.

So lets have a Mk1 new tool Airfix and i might get interested again. :)

That's funny Paddy, I have the same thoughts about our lovely F16, her original form was perfect for her role then they started sticking those conformal fuel tanks and pods on here, like putting a padded bra on Marilyn Monroe!

Last edited:
Back