• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

3D CAD for Scale Modelers

jknaus

Administrator
A friend of mine, Bo Monroe is planning to do an online course on 3D CAD for modellers using Rhino 3D. He is a very taented fellow who has been making 3D parts for aircraft for a number of years. Mostly WWI and I have some of his details in some of my builds. He now has a web site and makes his own parts. I have everything he has made for the Italieri 1/32 Macchi 202 and it is amazing. I also have the stuff he has made for the Kotaire Spitfire Mk I and a lot of WWII German stuff. His website is here. Check it out. He also has a Patreon for those interested. Rather than paraphrase here is the email I got from him.
"

I've been talking about it for quite awhile now, but I'm finally starting to get moving on putting together my course aimed at teaching fine scale modelers the art of CAD and 3D printing.

A major caveat: this course will be tightly focused around the Rhino3D modeler, as I believe it is ideally suited to this task. It is not free software, however there is a free 90 day trial with all features unlocked. If you wish to go that route, don't start the trial until the course is ready!

As for what will be covered, I will show you my entire process from blank screen to post production. I will demonstrate the tools involved, both software and hardware. I will show you how to reverse-engineer scale model parts so that you can create your own variations and adaptations.

The course will largely be organized into projects, with real world scale model examples. Each project will demonstrate a different aspect of the Rhino tool set, so that by the end there should be few modeling tasks that you will be daunted by.

The course will be available on a subscription basis, and Patreon subscribers will get it for free or at a discount, depending on your membership tier.

Here is the working syllabus, although subject to change:

Hello World​

Start to finish workflow, covering the basics of design, slicing, printing, and post production.

Rhino3D for Fine Scale Modelers​

This chapter will be comprised of a number of lessons covering interface basics as well as more advanced topics, best practices in setting up your project's file system, as well as organizing your project elements within Rhino for optimal success. I will try to keep this section short and sweet, as the real meat of the course will be in the example projects...

Scale Model Projects​

This will be an ongoing and open-ended series of lessons, each focused on mastery of a particular skill or skillset -- things like lofting, booleans, SubDs, watertight Nurbs surfaces, deformations, reverse engineering, etc etc. The first project will be modeling a Luftwaffe fuel drum, with subsequent projects increasing in complexity. Suggestions for specific topics will be welcome, especially from Patreon members ;)

I expect the first lessons to be ready in July, so if you are interested, stay tuned to this space..."
1718472814480.png

James

Back