• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/35 scale U.S. 81 mm Mortar Pit in Vietnam

Tankbuilder

Hi there.

This is my 81 mm mortar pit set in Vietnam during the Tet Offensive. If you can enlarge the hand-painted map in front of the radio operator you would see that it is of the area around Khe Sanh.

The mortar and rounds and the M-16 are from Italeri and the figures are all from Tamiya. The lower legs of the trooper who is eating are from a WW2 Tamiya .30 caliber machine gunner.

The sandbags around the top of the mortar pit and also the ones protecting the case with the mortar rounds in it are simply Chicklets that were soaked to remove the candy-coating and then pressed into place and textured with scrap cloth before being allowed to dry and then being painted.

The frame around the outside of the diorama is getting refinished.

All painting was done using Folk Art acrylic paints applied by brush.

vietnam_mortar_pit_02_20100504_1632278614.jpg

vietnam_mortar_pit_01_20100504_1992505646.jpg

vietnam_mortar_pit_04_20100504_1649148602.jpg

vietnam_mortar_pit_03_20100504_1534419931.jpg

Cheers from Peter

Great start. I like it. I think there is something missing. I can't quite put my finger on yet. Somethings that comes to mind is maybe some more junk like discarded mortar round tubes? Some packs? Some jerry cans? M60 machinegun? Maybe just moving the ready rounds closer to the mortar itself. I really like the design and lay out. I think if you play with it a bit the diorama would pop.

Sherman 18 wrote:
Great start. I like it. I think there is something missing. I can't quite put my finger on yet. Somethings that comes to mind is maybe some more junk like discarded mortar round tubes? Some packs? Some jerry cans? M60 machinegun? Maybe just moving the ready rounds closer to the mortar itself. I really like the design and lay out. I think if you play with it a bit the diorama would pop.

Maybe Vegetation? too

Back