• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/16 Firebird question - 1979 to 1977 Trans Am con

Adam Baker

In my stash I have a 1/16 scale MPC 1979 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 10th Anniversary kit.

I'd love to build the kit up to look like the Smokey & The Bandit car, which is a 1977 Firebird Trans Am.

From what I can tell from my fairly quick look of the kit vs the car I want to build, the biggest immediate differences are in the shape of the nose & the rear bumper.

In the kit, the nose & rear bumper are both separate from the main body, so I'm almost expecting that somewhere out there is a kit of a 77/78 model Firebird that would have the correct nose & bumper?

Just for those that might not know the differences between the 2 models, here are some images I found.

1979 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 10th Anniversary

Front

10thtop.JPG

Rear

18653171-700-0.jpg

1977 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am

Front

pontia20.jpg

Rear

hrdp_0709_14_z%2Bsmokey_and_the_bandit%2Bpontiac_trans_am.jpg

Along w/ conversion nose & bumper parts, I'd also need to find a set of decals for the S&TB car. I'm pretty sure I've seen them available in 1/24, but I have no clue if any are available in 1/16.

And something else I just noticed would be the wheels would have to be changed as well.

I'm pretty sure the dash and center console were different. Why not do the '79 BanditII? Seems like path of least resistance but I think that was the turbo version with the scoop offset.

I went to the beach in a '76 454 HO version, good lord how we avoided getting arrested i don't know. Wait..think we did! :blink

Hmm, hadn't thought about the car from the 2nd movie, but yea, it appears you're correct, that it has a different hood. I can see the progression in the style from 77 to 80. 77/78 appear about the same. 79 has the same hood as 77/78, and then 80 has a new hood but shares the same front bumper (and assuming rear bumper) and wheels, as the 79 10th Anniv. car. So basically neither S&TB car is possible w/ this kit w/o some kind of modification.

I guess it basically boils down to whether its worth trying to make the changes or just build it as a regular 79 10th Anniv. car. If I were to do a S&TB car, I'd really prefer the car from the 1st movie, but I guess we'll see.

The Anniversary car was really nice. Extra special trim package that had embroidered Thunderbirds on the leather seats. I knew a couple of undeserving kids who's Dad bought them both one. They trashed them, horrible site to see. Though I didn't really care for the '79 front end. I like the early ones...

Back