• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

WWII USN fire Extinguishers

jknaus

Administrator
On a couple of othr builds people have been taken to task for painting their fire extinguishers red. They are supposed to be brass according to some. From my shallow search it looks to me to be Dry Chem came in brass while CO2 came in red. As I said, a shallow search. Anyone know for sure by any chance? At the moment I am going with red unless someone can shed some light oon the matter.
1943 life raft fire extinguisher from River Rat Antiques.
Untitled.jpg

Sorry, it may be too late for you but:

Fire extinguishers, until 1997, were coloured according to type/content. There five types/colours.

Carbon dioxide black.
Foam cream.
Wet chemical yellow.
Water red.
Powder blue.

Aircraft usually have carbon dioxide extinguishers and so are black in colour.

Sorry, it may be too late for you but:

Fire extinguishers, until 1997, were coloured according to type/content. There five types/colours.

Carbon dioxide black.
Foam cream.
Wet chemical yellow.
Water red.
Powder blue.

Aircraft usually have carbon dioxide extinguishers and so are black in colour.
Thanks Saul.I was kind of surprised the US didnt have a codified colour system till after the war while Australia was the first with a codified system in the late 1800s. I didnt know CO2 was black. That gives me a third option. I'm amazed at how little info for aircraft I have been able to find. The AM for this kit is kicking my butt so still have not got to the painting yet. Hopefully soon. I've had 4 days to work on this but chores took up the first couple of days and Thanksgiving took up yesterday so hopefully today I make some inroads.
James

@jknaus, this is RAF. I should have read the title!

USAAC (USAF pre-cursor) below. NOTE that this one is marked USAAF but one in a 1941 manual has USAAC:
1696860993947.png
1696861002306.png
1696861010913.png

1696861567877.png

Supposedly from a US bomber:
1696862361450.png

1696862422837.png

The mount:
1696862438300.png

1696862401716.png

USN but I don't think they are for aircraft:
1696861327329.png
1696861337072.png
1696861344371.png

This one is by Pyrene but unmarked as to which service bought it:
1696861690845.png

1696861709950.png

Which subject? Perhaps I have a photo of it in one of my restoration folders.

Thanks Saul.I was kind of surprised the US didnt have a codified colour system till after the war
This is the current system:

The use of standard color-coded fire extinguishers promotes greater safety and lessens the chances of error, confusion, or inaction in time of emergency. Coding distinguishes flight-line fire extinguishers from building fire equipment.

The type of extinguisher, together with the class of fire it extinguishes, must be painted on a 6-inch color band.The letters are black and at least 1 inch in height. The 6-inch band around the top of the extinguisher should be painted as follows:

Carbon Dioxide (CO2)..…Yellow
AFFF Type.........…………Silver or white
Purple K Powder........……Purple
Halon..................…………Fluorescent yellow

@jknaus, this is RAF. I should have read the title!
<snip>
Which subject? Perhaps I have a photo of it in one of my restoration folders.
Hi Saul. Its for the TBD-1. I guess I will go with brass. I think there is only 1 TBD-1 left in the world, but I could be wrong. Maybe I am just overthinking this.
Decided to work on my P-47 at the same time so I can at least build and then spent a couple of hours making a new oxygen hose and rigging the rudder pedals and trying to make some rudder pedal cable pullies on tinercad to print out. Sigh. I guess at least I've had some fun building today :)
James

Back