• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Workshop/Marquee Finished. Updated Dec. 19th, 2017

A Dual Project

OK, I have finally started on my new workshop!

From humble beginnings, as you will see. As we unpacked everything, we put things in two places, (Besides where they belong), the garage and the two unfinished areas in the lower level of our house. One of which will be my future workshop!

Yes, I am the eternal optimist! I really believe I can make something out of this room! Don't laugh! :yipee

Aside from the junk in here, the room has two walls that are cast concrete, made to look like somebody's, not mine, idea of bricks. One wall that is unfinished studs and another that is a combination of the two. That wall has a window and that is where my primary modeling desk will go. The previous owner must have had a nail fetish. He nailed thousands of nails in the walls anywhere he could find a place to do it. Weird! They seem to have no purpose whatsoever, just nails driven randomly?

Here are some photos of the windowed wall which i will start first.

IMG_2585_zpstt1pg6oy.jpg

See. Junk everywhere and beyond nails the guy liked to splash paint wherever he could as well!

From another angle.

IMG_2595_zpscnghbxgr.jpg

I had an electrician rewire much of the house, especially the lower level where the museum will reside. He installed 65 light fixtures altogether. The guy that lived here before, besides being a nail freak and, a paint splasher was also a mole. For the first month we lived here, we had to carry flashlights around with us just to navigate the place!

Here is that window.

IMG_2589_zpsvavhe8os.jpg

And here is the rest of the wall. That weird white pipe looking thing is a radon gas eliminator. Doesn't that look just space age and cutting edge?

IMG_2586_zpsyuw3tl6u.jpg

The ceiling had a single 2 watt light bulb. Well, maybe brighter than that but not much brighter. When i get finished, when people walk into this room, they'll think they just died and are looking at the blinding light all those dudes said they saw just before they were dragged back to the living! I like light!

IMG_2591_zpsm2ns4bae.jpg

The rest, for the most part, is junk that will be parked elsewhere.

IMG_2594_zps22f7r2on.jpg

IMG_2587_zps1ugtenga.jpg

IMG_2588_zpsgnvqog8l.jpg

Then there is the furnace & hot water heater. I'd like to throw them out too, but, it's too cold in the winter and too hot in the summer. A pity really!

IMG_2592_zpsrahvdsst.jpg

Well, I got started at least. Here are the first two sheets of pegboard I put up. The following day, it rained like hell all day and I have nowhere else to do all my carpentry except the patio. (Garage still full).

IMG_2596_zpshztg7snh.jpg

I will probably be able to post some more photos tomorrow.

A Dual Project Updated Aug. 7th, 2016

OK, Got most of that wall finished. I used two colors of pegboard. A light color around the window, and dark everywhere else.

IMG_2597_zpshnon2msy.jpg

IMG_2598_zpsq8ydvusr.jpg

IMG_2599_zpsxxmkqcun.jpg

Got the window all trimmed out!

IMG_2600_zpskjea8u3f.jpg

IMG_2601_zpsvej3kihk.jpg

Started on the adjacent wall.

IMG_2602_zpso5drvlc8.jpg
]

Added the DVD-TV swivel wall mount. I like to listen to war movies while I model. Gives me inspiration!

IMG_2603_zps9famifxh.jpg

Close up of frame and both colors of pegboard.

IMG_2605_zpsxu7nhw1z.jpg

The furthest expanse of the wall. That PVC pipe was a challenge to fit around!

IMG_2605_zpsxu7nhw1z.jpg

More photos. I'm done for the day!

IMG_2606_zpswr4weiql.jpg

IMG_2607_zpsrgwkgpfw.jpg

IMG_2609_zpslz6wsykn.jpg

As soon as I get this wall finished, I'll start lighting it all up, and starting with the various paint racks, start making it into a convenient model bench!

To be continued!

A Dual Project Updated Aug. 8th, 2016

Random nails and dark dungeons ..... sounds like a thriller movie (or horror) :blink

Good luck with it all Bob, I am sure it will end up being an awesome place. This journey of yours makes me think ...maybe we should have a few ongoing campaigns on MA

- Interior Designer Extraordinaire - open to our wives / other halves as well - this could be fun :D
- Master Bar Manager :drinks
- Man Cave Mastermind B)

The list could go on

Cheers,

Laurence

Master Bar Manager...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEv7SDnSwa0

I use to two step to this...:drinks

Got a lot more done.

IMG_2610_zpsdtw5djpa.jpg

I installed some cheap Mini-Blinds.

IMG_2612_zps4td80wvw.jpg

Framed out the door.

IMG_2620_zpsxbvl8fxs.jpg

I finally got the Napoleon Shadowbox repaired and installed in the wall. Before I push it all the way in, I have to do some paint touch up.

IMG_2622_zpsuczupssz.jpg

Ditto.

IMG_2623_zps8elqpiym.jpg

Started unpacking all my workshop stuff. Paints, glues, tools, swing-arm lamps, etc.

IMG_2624_zpsvrcq5etu.jpg

IMG_2625_zpssmietwyt.jpg

Lights up and working.

IMG_2626_zpsywvddfwg.jpg

IMG_2627_zpsfxedmisz.jpg

Books. I have two different rooms for my reference books.

IMG_2631_zpsmlm6bnnb.jpg

IMG_2628_zps8b2ewqel.jpg

Lots of paint for my 6 paint racks to put up in order.

IMG_2629_zpszlvj50dk.jpg

IMG_2630_zps4ygoppmq.jpg

Should have it finished in a couple of more days, then I'll start on the marquee. It won't be long and I'll be back at the bench! I can't wait. It has now been 10 months since I did any work on Logistics!

Bob

A Dual Project Updated Aug. 16th, 2016

Thanks Guys,

Well, got the work shop done. I'll be working on the museum for a few days to wrap that up. The garage is finally empty. Next time, I'll post on the movie marquee. When that is done, I'll start a new topic on the "new" museum.

First, here are my kits. The only kits I have as a collection are the ones on the top shelves. All the other ones are for my next three dioramas ands the rest are what is left from dioramas I have built in the past.

IMG_2656_zpseefb5yra.jpg

IMG_2657_zpstxjqu3rc.jpg

IMG_2658_zps9tgyztrw.jpg

This is a double map case I have had for decades. I keep such things as Plastruct, Evergreen plastic and photo-etch brass in it.

[
IMG_2659_zpscta7dtzl.jpg

I have had the two desks you see here since 1984. They were the first desks I bought for my new company back then, VLS.

IMG_2660_zpspbdmqlgj.jpg

Paint racks, Paint racks, Paint racks! Lots of peg board room as well!

IMG_2661_zpsuk75lw7x.jpg

There's that other desk!

IMG_2662_zpss9xc8pab.jpg

The Delta sander has been very useful most of my life for eliminating those huge carriers on resin parts.

IMG_2663_zpsjswreuib.jpg

At the rear, you can see where i will be photographing. The two heavy duty photo lamps.

IMG_2664_zpsz8c2fb2k.jpg

Got my TV, DVD and VCR player. I don't watch movies when I model, I listen to them, usually war movies.

IMG_2665_zpsqlutmucj.jpg

More stuff!

IMG_2666_zps2f8n9xjw.jpg

The other desk and the one I'll use most.

IMG_2667_zpsvrjtw4kp.jpg

Lots of light! I brought all of these lamps from the old house!

IMG_2668_zpshzved9uz.jpg

Some of my power tools.

IMG_2673_zpsnmumufgp.jpg

Some of the materials for the movie marquee.

IMG_2674_zpskxnl2czc.jpg

IMG_2676_zpswlk8rqkg.jpg

IMG_2677_zpsew1wndvn.jpg

IMG_2681_zpsyiwfoniz.jpg

IMG_2682_zpsfq3alpc5.jpg

That old Revell 1/28th scale Sopwith Camel was one of the victims of the move.

IMG_2683_zpsf5h5as4c.jpg

IMG_2684_zps0exhxbnn.jpg

The Map case.

IMG_2685_zpsqtlztj1i.jpg

IMG_2687_zps3prrybiw.jpg

IMG_2688_zps76t2nl7a.jpg

IMG_2690_zpsemvbneg8.jpg

Tons of stuff in drawers.

IMG_2691_zpsd4rabp0a-1.jpg

The lower shelves.

IMG_2691_zpsd4rabp0a.jpg

I keep Optivisors of most every kind of power for different projects.

IMG_2693_zpsvkmu20ht.jpg

I always keep a lot of brushes.

IMG_2694_zpso4sx7qkw.jpg

IMG_2698_zpsoyqouj94.jpg

IMG_2699_zpsyj3cdnpc.jpg

Someday, someday, I will build this!

IMG_2700_zpso6rjaaoh.jpg

And these.

IMG_2701_zpshnkblyaj.jpg

This is for a future Pacific Dio.

IMG_2703_zpsyfbkuhje.jpg

For a future Wild West dio.

IMG_2704_zpsuxitisp8-1.jpg

A really old photo of me and Susan, back in 1990.

IMG_2706_zpsuxjt29ap.jpg

My wife Susan, back in 1994. She was 50 at the time!

IMG_2709_zpsop3u5rln.jpg

OK, that's all for now. Gonna start on the marquee within a few days.

A Dual Project Updated Aug. 24th, 2016

Love the shop Bob. I could very easily see burning many hours and days in there. :good:

Oh but I dream of a work shop like that. Fantastic stuff (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)
So jealous lol.
James

I see just one thing wrong..WAY To clean! Let's get in there and trash it up some, gotta have some half built stuff laying around, some split paint, something glued to the table where the CA tipped over. OK that's what mine looks like.

Great work space Dad, glad you're getting settled in. :popcorn

Oh man, if I had a room like that....

I'd probably add a mini-fridge, hot plate and microwave and I'd never leave the place! Hey, can you come over and help me organize my room like that?

Oh but I dream of a work shop like that. Fantastic stuff (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)
So jealous lol.
James

Thanks James. I am used to a much larger one. (I build large things, remember?), but I'll manage, I'm sure!

Bob

Back